House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Atomic Bull

6 Bedroom House Advertised 170k... 115k Offer Accepted

my sister has been renting for 3 years since her wedding expecting hpc (but keen to buy before staring a family).

she saw a 6 bedroom town house advertised for 170k after 2 weeks reduced to 150k. phoned the estate agent who said that the couple are desperate to sell and may consider offers as low as 120k. she offered 110k. following negotiation 115k accept.

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
my sister has been renting for 3 years since her wedding expecting hpc (but keen to buy before staring a family).

she saw a 6 bedroom town house advertised for 170k after 2 weeks reduced to 150k. phoned the estate agent who said that the couple are desperate to sell and may consider offers as low as 120k. she offered 110k. following negotiation 115k accept.

That's not too shabby at all.

Congrats to your Sister. A few more like this and we'll all be jumping on the bandwagon. Damn good property for the money. Pity its isn Wales though.

Wouldn't it be GREAT to get these threads EVERY day......as more and more evidence of people coming to their senses came to light.....is it too much to expect that we will get more and more news like this by October 2009?

I noticed on another thread someone asking again "will there be an October election"?

If there was would it be because Labour do not believe they can keep property prices high for too much longer?

Would it be because they would believe that any supposed good news will have well and truly died by next spring?

Nice work.

Parents (West Mids) going to look at a place today. Been on the market 270 days, down from 625K to 495K. Told them to offer even lower. They are finding that the resitance to reducing prices that has been there for the past 6 months is starting to falter.

I like Wales, my mum was evacuated there in the war and only has good things to say about it...six beds are they planning on having a big brood, good luck to them, they won't regret it. ;)

Just spoke to one of my dad's friend who is a seller demonstrating total stupidity, completely opposite to the attitude of the seller in your anecdote.

2007 - on market for 470k, no offers

2008 - 450k, no offers

2009 - 400k - gets an offer for 350k, buyer ups the offer to 370k, he refuses saying he wont go below 375k

Totally balmy. This guy used to be a financial advisor

Reminds me of a neighbour who always asks for an asking price 20k more than the going rate. He never sells either

http://www.houseprices.co.uk/e.php?q=vine+cottage+poole

This ain't bad at all - 2 bed detached £265K down to £170K in under two years. Decent road, close good schools and all amenities. 2 miles from sea and the house totally refurbished. Set back from road, and rear looks over playing fields.

Another 3 bed Vict terrace nearby was on a year at 239K asking, reducing slowly. Finally sold £172K a few months back.

There's little moving round here, but when they have to sell, there's some hefty markdowns.

Edited by juvenal

This ain't bad at all - 2 bed detached £265K down to £170K in under two years. Decent road, close good schools and all amenities. 2 miles from sea and the house totally refurbished. Set back from road, and rear looks over playing fields.

Another 3 bed Vict terrace nearby was on a year at 239K asking, reducing slowly. Finally sold £172K a few months back.

There's little moving round here, but when they have to sell, there's some hefty markdowns.

OUCH! Good spot. I need to leave Edinburgh - I'd struggle to get a 2 bed flat in a decent area for that.

Atomic Bull- - good for your sister. Nice negotiating 'They said they might accept £120k - she offered £110k'..I like her style.

Edited by Mancghirl

I bet The Masked Tulip would be pleased.

I suspect these deals are quietly happening around the country.

I have this feeling too. But a few month's more LR figures are needed to confirm it. There's so little selling that it takes time to accumulate the evidence.

Where in mid-Wales? Not all parts of Wales are created equal.

The Ammanford area? - where only the estate agents think property has some value.

I bet The Masked Tulip would be pleased.

I suspect these deals are quietly happening around the country.

No, I am fecking livid! ASKING Prices are GOING UP in Swansea for goodness sake.

I was driving around Swansea yesterday and a pile of sodding Saville signs have gone up... although, that could be a good sign... could mean loads of Londoners needing to sell up... or it could be locals who have decided to cut out the local EAs and target Londoners directly... Nuts!

I would love to know where in Wales the OP's sister has bought her house - best of luck to her.

Denial is still huge in Swansea and across South Wales. The massive number of people employed in the public sector means there is effectively little recession here... although shops are closing left, right and centre and I know loads of small businesses which have gone to the wall or who are close to doing so.

Volumes are low apparently so they queer any LR figures enormously when a cash buyer buys something. The week before the bank holiday a flood of properties came on the market so it will be interesting to see how this pans out over the next 6 months.

Just to put things in perspective, I went for a job interview in Wales in 2003 - not that long ago - and at that time I could buy a nearby terrace house using the available balance on my credit card that day.

In retrospect, it would have been a good investment if I had kept it for four years. Oh well, if you are a bear you are a bear....

Who fancies taking on the project of getting all Land Registy data and scanning it to see how many properties are selling for less than the previous sale price, where its happening, whats the biggest reductions etc...would show some interesting data I suspect. I couldn't find anywhere where I could download all the required data, houseprices.co.uk is good but only lists ~100 listings at mosts, and no download options.