House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

the_dork

Taking As/a Levels Independently

Mainly for the sake of my own challenge, I'd like to have a stab at taking AS maths this year but just by studying the syllabus myself over the year and then trying the exams. Does anyone know how/if this is possible? Do any exams boards arrange this?

Based in London

Cheers mucho

Guest absolutezero
Mainly for the sake of my own challenge, I'd like to have a stab at taking AS maths this year but just by studying the syllabus myself over the year and then trying the exams. Does anyone know how/if this is possible? Do any exams boards arrange this?

Based in London

Cheers mucho

It's relatively straightforward.

Find an exam board whose syllabus you like.

http://www.aqa.org.uk

http://www.edexcel.com

http://www.ocr.org.uk

You'll do it as a 'private candidate' and take the exams at a 'centre' (local school or college) that's prepared to enter you as a private candidate. Schools are under no obligation to do this so you'll have to ask around and pay the exam entry fees.

Ring a school and ask for the Exams Officer.

I don't know if AS Maths has any coursework but if it does you'll have to get a teacher from the school to mark it for you.

Guest absolutezero
Thanks, sure my old school would help, otherwise there's plenty of colleges.

One thing-do I need to speak to them now or wait until exam time?

The more notice you give, the better.

The fees increase steeply as you get nearer to the exam date.

A lot of tutorial colleges, and even some language schools that are registered as centres will also let you sit the exams there if you get in touch with them (and pay the fee...). That is the hardest part to arrange.

I'd strongly suggest you choose a syllabus and options with no coursework unless you strongly feel you want to do it that way. It makes things a lot more straightforward.

I'd strongly suggest you choose a syllabus and options with no coursework unless you strongly feel you want to do it that way. It makes things a lot more straightforward.

I thought that's how everyone got an 'A' these day's though.

Thanks. So most syllabus seem to have a choice of either mechanics or stats? I liked stats when I last did it but I guess mechanics links more with physics which is another interest of mine.