House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ivang

Memory Foam Mattresses

I'm in the market for a memory foam mattress, and trying to find an independant review is, well, diffcult to say the least. I've been looking for weeks!

Just thought I'd throw this out to the HPC community.

Thanks.

I'm in the market for a memory foam mattress, and trying to find an independant review is, well, diffcult to say the least. I've been looking for weeks!

Thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/60-SuperKingsize-Sil...id=p3286.c0.m14

The best £400 I've ever spent, I no longer wake up feeling like I've been run over.

Thanks.

I know you've been putting it off and trying to avoid the major player here, but believe me I used to work in the furniture and bedding retail industry and unfortunately Tempur are the only players that provide quality - everything else is a slightly cheaper but inferior product m'afraid.

I would say it is all down to the thickness.....forget the topper, buy a quality thick mattress, great nights sleep...but like anything always open/subject to opinion. ;)

Thanks for your swift responses guys.

I'm looking at just shy of 2k for a damn King Tempur, goddammit.

I mean, I couldn't care less if I slept on the floor but the missus has back/neck issues. :(

Guest Parry aka GOD

I mean, I couldn't care less if I slept on the floor but the missus has back/neck issues. :(

Two thousand pounds sterling? :blink:

I think it's one of those 'marmite' things.

Spot on Durch - we love ours, but know plenty of people who find them hot, sweaty and uncomfortable. Quite what they're doing on them I thought it best not to ask :unsure:

To the OP - if Tempur are still doing their 30 trial, give that a whirl. But beware - apparently if you find you hate it after the first night, you have to hold onto it for the remaining 29 days, which is a bit of a pain if you have nowhere to put it.

I bought one 2 years ago - love it.

It does not spring up now so much as it has a nice shag in it where my body lies at night - I rotate the mattress 180 degrees every 3 months or so. However, I usually have a very motionless tranquil sleep on it - unless I am aching already when I go to bed - and I recommend them.

With all respect, don't be a prat - no one pays that for a mattress.

Mattress shops list ridiculously high prices for mattresses. Then, all of a sudden, they have a sale, advertise it to the hilt and that 2K mattress is 500 notes. Usually, you will have one chain in your area that has a sale on and another chain that does not so you go into one bed shop and the mattress is 2K, go to the next chain down the road and it is 500 quid.

When I bought my mattress that was the case with two different mattress shops right next door to each other.

Surely the girlie in your life knows this - all girlies know this.

I have tempur pillows and I have to say that they are a quantum leap from normal ones - much more comfortable, will last a lifetime and never lose shape.

It might be worth enquiring about mattress sizes to see if it will fit onto a conventional divan, so that you don't have to fork out so much for the tempur base? Just a thought.

Also, I think if your wife has a medical condition, there is some sort of rebate system for tempur and some other memory foam mattresses?

We have a sleep council - one of the few good uses of our taxes. Great advice there on buying mattresses and pillows.

http://www.sleepcouncil.com/

I wonder what they do all day at the sleep council - do you think they wander around in stripey nightgowns holding candles in their hands whilst yawning and yearning for a milky cocoa?

We have a sleep council - one of the few good uses of our taxes. Great advice there on buying mattresses and pillows.

I wonder what they do all day at the sleep council - do you think they wander around in stripey nightgowns holding candles in their hands whilst yawning and yearning for a milky cocoa?

The sleep coucil are not taxpayer-funded. It is simply a consortium of bed manufacturers encouraging people to change their mattresses every 5 years.

Which is, actually, not bad advice.

Guest Parry aka GOD

WTF!

I think it's one of those 'marmite' things. Personally, I don't like them one bit.

To me, they are sweaty, have that horrible sensation of a squeaky chalk board as you rub across them, deform and then stay deformed after you move (meaning they can be randomly bumpy), weigh a ton and are hard to turn and fit the sheets, and finally cost a bomb.

But some people swear by them and are eternally happy with their purchase - so what do I know?

I would definitely try one out, and if a friend has one I would sleep a night on it, if possible. (The people I know who bought them, tended to love them, then speak less of their love for them, then shift them to the spare room (where I experienced them), then to the box room then to the basement or shed, and finally never spoke of them again.)

I agree - I have one which is going to be converted into a replacement cushion for a sofa bed and Yacht cushions (sitting on teak strips leaves your ass looking like its been on a chargrill :lol: )

I bought one 2 years ago - love it.

Same here too. Had it for about three years I think. Would never ever go back to a normal one. Have the pillows too, which are brilliant. We put a very thin "quilty thing" on top of the mattress, and that solves this "sweating" problem that others have mentioned.

Same here too. Had it for about three years I think. Would never ever go back to a normal one. Have the pillows too, which are brilliant. We put a very thin "quilty thing" on top of the mattress, and that solves this "sweating" problem that others have mentioned.

I have two memory form pillows - for some reason I anticipate guests - and use one to sleep on. Basically, most people put way too many pillows under their head at night and this causes all sorts of neck problems re aches, pains, breathing. You basically only need something on which to slighty rest your head.

Guest Fedup
Thing to note about memory foam versus the latex style mattresses is that memory foam is alot denser and doesnt allow for breathability unlike the latex style mattresses like dunlopillo.

I bought a new matress a while back after moving house....from...Ikea! Yeah yeah, I know people think it's cheap and nasty, but I had a look at Ikea and I was seriously impressed. I have never had a "cheap" bed before because i'm a light sleeper and have a bad back due to a climbing accident. I generally went for Sealy Posturpedic matresses in the past as physios recommended them. However, me and the GF wanted a kingsize bed, and her mother (who is german and obsessed with quality) recommended we try ikea.

So off we trotted, and after about an hour of lying on many different matresses, we stumped for their top of the range one in king size. I can't remember the name exactly, but it was memory foam with lambs wool and camel hair, so you get all the benefits of memory foam, but it allows your body to breathe. As far as I'm concerned, if it were possible to sleep on a cloud, this is what it would be like!

If I recall correctly, the matress was around £500 and the bed frame was around £300 ish. It's not exactly cheap, but it is king size and has a 25 year guarantee!

Thanks.

We have one on our marital bed and also in the spare room. Absolutely great, and money well spent. Highly recommended.

Not only is it firm yet soft, it's completely uniform across the whole surface, ie no sagging or dead zones in the inter-spring areas.

One nice feature is that if your partner moves around, it probably won't wake you, as your side of the bed will stay still rather than bounce sympathetically in some sort of newtonian wave motion thing. Very nice if you want to craftily knock one out whilst the missus is asleep, or vice versa.