House Price Crash Forum
US Citizen

Cheap Air Fares Will Stay. The Old Guard Is Back !

Strange things happen in economic cycles. Just a few years, I pickup a return fight with Ryan Air from Blackpool to Barcelona for £0.02 (2p), I did my check-in online and had only hand luggage. The plane was almost empty in both legs of the trip.

Now Ryan Air, no longer operate from Blackpool, because its says the airport wants to charge all passengers a "development fee" and this is incompatible with its business plan. Linky

Ryan Air will be shedding 600 jobs and mothballing its operations from Manchester, because the company says Manchester Airport which is not a BAA airport but instead it is owned by the 10 Metropolitain Boroughs of Greater Manchester, refuse to lower its charges. All profits from Manchester Airport, go to subsidise Council Tax in Greater Manchester. Linky

Easyjet hasnt come off to well either stating it is considering leaving Luton Airport (its spiritual home), because of a row over landing fees. Linky

So where do that leave the cheap fairs and how can these companies offer cheap fair against rising costs ?

In essense, what their business plans are all about is "rewarding flexibility". In other words if you dont mind travelling in the middle of the night from Liverpool to Malaga on a Thursday with no baggage and online check-in, then you can continue to fly cheaply.

The problem for the likes of Ryan Air and Easyjet, is you (yes you), the consumer just wont wear it. You dont mind paying a little more for a decent time, baggage allowance which is 20kg pp and to fly from your local airport.

The old guard have responded with some very good deals lately, such as Manchester to Sharm El Sheik Return for £99 on British Airways. This is one of the "route finder" flights to test the demand. The flight was full, so look out for this being a regular.

How about Manchester to Athens (head to head with EasyJet) both airlines charge £129 return, but British Airways you get free meal and can travel at a sensible time. Need I say what you get with Easyjet ?

Air France, Lufhansa and Monarch all venturing to charge a little more than £0.02p return on a flight, but the convience and unflexibilty of working people looking for a break.

The next time, you are looking for a short break, bear this in mind, but if you can be flexible you will gain the extremely low prices, but if you cant its not the end of the world.

Edited by Rt. Hon. Lord Mandelson

Strange things happen in economic cycles. Just a few years, I pickup a return fight with Ryan Air from Blackpool to Barcelona for £0.02 (2p), I did my check-in online and had only hand luggage. The plane was almost empty in both legs of the trip.

Now Ryan Air, no longer operate from Blackpool, because its says the airport wants to charge all passengers a "development fee" and this is incompatible with its business plan. Linky

Ryan Air will be shedding 600 jobs and mothballing its operations from Manchester, because the company says Manchester Airport which is not a BAA airport but instead it is owned by the 10 Metropolitain Boroughs of Greater Manchester, refuse to lower its charges. All profits from Manchester Airport, go to subsidise Council Tax in Greater Manchester. Linky

Easyjet hasnt come off to well either stating it is considering leaving Luton Airport (its spiritual home), because of a row over landing fees. Linky

So where do that leave the cheap fairs and how can these companies offer cheap fair against rising costs ?

In essense, what their business plans are all about is "rewarding flexibility". In other words if you dont mind travelling in the middle of the night from Liverpool to Malaga on a Thursday with no baggage and online check-in, then you can continue to fly cheaply.

The problem for the likes of Ryan Air and Easyjet, is you (yes you), the consumer just wont wear it. You dont mind paying a little more for a decent time, baggage allowance which is 20kg pp and to fly from your local airport.

The old guard have responded with some very good deals lately, such as Manchester to Sharm El Sheik Return for £99 on British Airways. This is one of the "route finder" flights to test the demand. The flight was full, so look out for this being a regular.

How about Manchester to Athens (head to head with EasyJet) both airlines charge £129 return, but British Airways you get free meal and can travel at a sensible time. Need I say what you get with Easyjet ?

Air France, Lufhansa and Monarch all venturing to charge a little more than £0.02p return on a flight, but the convience and unflexibilty of working people looking for a break.

The next time, you are looking for a short break, bear this in mind, but if you can be flexible you will gain the extremely low prices, but if you cant its not the end of the world.

I love the 10 quid card handling fee if you dont use visa electron. I wouldnt mind doing them under trading standards if they cant show that they incur a 10 quid cost for card handling. Thieving b&ggers. Just got return flights to Riga though for 75 quid, so must not complain.

Edited by mbga9pgf

Guest absolutezero

That was an advertisement on behalf of OneWorld.

www.oneworld.com

If anyone thinks air fairs will remain cheap you will be very much mistaken longterm

I will assume the cost of purchasing and maintaining and running a plain will be high I assume flights use massive amounts of fuel per mile the buzz words now in environmental things carbon footprints the cap and tade tax will posibly several fold fuel costs longterm taxes or going to rocket

insurance tax hikes etc all these costs must be passed on or go bust

Currently their is oversupply in the aviation business and some smart companys are cutting back and some have gone bust at some point this imbalance will shift in the other direction assuming people will still fly around

Clearly these good times are unsustainable then see how cheap it is to fly

Spelling in title changed. Got to keep the Pedants happy.

I don't think it's pendantic to prefer to see things spelt correctly. After all, it does seem that your original spelling caused confusion, people reading, as they tend to do, by word recognition.

While you're at it, you might like to correct your signature as well.

Weilds is spelt 'wields'

coriddors is 'corridors'

Oh and 777, plains are quite cheap to run, being generally wide open spaces in the countryside.

(aero)planes however, are very expensive to run, some using up to 8 tonnes of fuel per hour (plus maintenance, landing fees, en route charges, etc etc etc)

Edited by Johnny Cash

I don't think it's pendantic to prefer to see things spelt correctly. After all, it does seem that your original spelling caused confusion, people reading, as they tend to do by word recognition.

While you're at it, you might like to correct your signature as well.

Weilds is spelt 'wields'

coriddors is 'corridors'

Mandy himself would never be so sloppy.

I love the 10 quid card handling fee if you dont use visa electron. I wouldnt mind doing them under trading standards if they cant show that they incur a 10 quid cost for card handling. Thieving b&ggers. Just got return flights to Riga though for 75 quid, so must not complain.

The airlines probably pay visa about 2.5%.

So if you flight/holiday costs over £400, and the fee is only £10, they lose out.

On the other, if you pay by visa electron/debit and they go bust, your screwed.

Personally I won't fly easyjet as you don't get an allocated seat.

I fly Thomson/Monarch and get a seat, then wait while everyone else queues up and gets on. Then wait anothr 5 minutes, Then I get on once everyong has finished arsing about. I don't see the point in queueing to sit on a plane full of chavs.

If anyone thinks air fairs will remain cheap you will be very much mistaken longterm

I will assume the cost of purchasing and maintaining and running a plain

that will depend how many cattle you want to graze on it

tim

Realise that airports give discounts (i.e. free) to new routes and new airlines. Lyinair have a habit of demanding that theses free periods are extended and subsidies paid to keep them flying there. Airports cannot operate by paying airlines to fly there and other airlines rightly object to subsidising Lyinair.

They tried the same trick in buying aircraft but this time Airbus told them to sling their hook and pay Boeing full whack - Airbus won't waste millions trying to sell to Lyinair without the slightest prospect of getting an order.

Edited by Peter Hun

If you had to compare UK train fares with easy Jet et al air fares you would seriously feel ripped off by the price we have to pay for traveling on our slow unreliable and inadequate rail network...it is in my mind a total disgrace, we have not invested more into our future transport and are well behind the times in comparison to our European neighbours...the sooner and faster we sort this the better it will be for all concerned. ;)

The key to getting good value for money from Easyjet/Ryanair is:

subscribe to their mailing lists so that you hear about sales/next season going on sale ASAP and grab one of those loss-leader tickets.

With Easyjet you need to book as far in advance as possible. Before the recession, you needed to book within the first 2 weeks of tickets going on sale for the next season to get a good deal. Prices would double across the board after this introductory period. Now you have 1-2 months to grab the loss-leaders. Easyjet charge high fares to the last-minute brigade, be they businesses or individuals who can't be arsed to be organised about booking holidays.

With Ryanair generally the best deals are last minute (the last minute period has expanded to 2-3 months during the recession).

I've yet to pay more than £50 all-in for a return flight to Europe, and usually travel after 11 am on a Saturday.

e.g. this year I paid about £45 including hold baggage for a return flight from Bristol to Valencia late March flying out mid-afternoon Saturday and returning early evening on a Saturday. Plus about £45 return including hold baggage flying out early eveing Saturday early October Bristol to Venice and flying home early evening on a Tuesday. The weather was sunny throughout my stay in Valencia and daytime temps peaked at about 75 F.

I live about 8 miles from Bristol airport, and am home in about 30 minutes after hitting the tarmac if I treat myself to a taxi, or about 50 mins if I take the £5 return bus.

My best deal so far was a return flight to Bergamo in Lombardy, Italy with Ryanair in November, flying out at lunchtime on a Saturday, and returning late morning on a Monday. I paid 2p plus £8 card handling fee. The weather was cold but sunny and clear and Bergamo was absolutely stunning.

I've flown with budget airlines about 15 times now from Bristol and Stansted, and the only significant delay I've experienced was 2 hrs flying back from Rome Ciampino. The last few times I've flown, both landings have been early. This is due to Bristol being a fantastic airport and generally I choose to fly to fairly small airports when I travel to Europe.

My worst delay ever was nearly 24 hrs flying back from Guatemala to Heathrow, and was delayed in Miami due to foul play by American Airlines who gave away my seat when a connecting flight was delayed but I could have easily made it on to the plane. There was a backlog of delayed passengers who they needed to appease.

If you had to compare UK train fares with easy Jet et al air fares you would seriously feel ripped off by the price we have to pay for traveling on our slow unreliable and inadequate rail network...it is in my mind a total disgrace, we have not invested more into our future transport and are well behind the times in comparison to our European neighbours...the sooner and faster we sort this the better it will be for all concerned. ;)

Quoted for truth.

I'm travelling from the South Coast to Liverpool tomorrow. Cheapest train ticket GBP130 and a six hour journey. Flying BA from Gatwick to Manchester then train to Liverpool - GBP100 and three hours max.

Quoted for truth.

I'm travelling from the South Coast to Liverpool tomorrow. Cheapest train ticket GBP130 and a six hour journey. Flying BA from Gatwick to Manchester then train to Liverpool - GBP100 and three hours max.

Total madness and an utter disgrace....this needs to be sorted...one unhappy bunny. ;)

'Low cost' airlines are a con. They use misleading advertising and hidden extras. At least BA are more honest with their pricing.

Ryanair keep advertising 1p fares but when you add all the 'taxes and charges' it will often come to something like £89.02.

You would never get a train company advertising 1p fares then charge you £67 'tax and charges'.

Thing is, those dopes who go round saying they paid 1p for their flight really haven't figured out that they've been conned.

Good job there is no inflation.

http://financialadvice.co.uk/news/3/househ...-up-to-250.html

Ryanair increases baggage charge by up to 250%

Saturday 5th September 2009

Groundbreaking budget airline group Ryanair has today revealed a massive increase in baggage fees with some customers set to see charges rise by as much as 250% to £70. The minimum charge for one bag will increase by 50% to £15 if checked in online with those checked in at the airport attracting a charge of £30, compared to the old fee of £20. However, this is not the end of the price realignment by Ryanair!

I think BA charging a mark up of as much as £99.98 for the *free* ham roll and cup of team takes some beating. Why not beat them at their own game and get an Electron card? BA are racing to keep up with the like of Ryanair at every turn - just several laps behind. One day you will be even able to check in online more than 24 hours before departure.

Can someone inform my speculation?

The reason you can't already because all the business customers would end up with naff allocated seating at the back of the plane next to a window and disembark into the airbridge behind the prams and suitcases? Of course if you ditch the allocated seating, airbridge and open both doors of the plane who knows what would be possible.....?