House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

loginandtonic

Can You Trust Free Anti Virus Software?

i have put zero-day malware/virus protection software threatfire on my system now, the free version, although apparently you can get the pro version free by buying something via trialpay and then getting threatfire free - see pc tools website for details

i'm just an average user but zero-day protection sounds a good idea and frankly i thought i already had that with avast which i use but seems i dont

i have put zero-day malware/virus protection software threatfire on my system now, the free version, although apparently you can get the pro version free by buying something via trialpay and then getting threatfire free - see pc tools website for details

i'm just an average user but zero-day protection sounds a good idea and frankly i thought i already had that with avast which i use but seems i dont

I have my doubts about these viruses.Have run this one a year without any protection.

IMPO, no.

I have had to repair so many PCs of friends who have been unable to boot their PCs, or who have all sorts of other trojans and viruses on their PCs even though they have various free AV programs installed.

I have never seen a PC with up to date Norton AV to be infected. Yes, Norton became a pig a few years ago and slowed PCs down enormously but the current and last versions are very efficient.

In today's world of internet banking you need a good AV and anti-trojan program.

Avira is OK until the darned thing wont update. A well known problem. I went back to Avast.

I've used Avast with Sunbelt firewall for a year or more. With Firefox or K-Meleon on XP I have never had a problem.

I get freebies via http://www.techsupportalert.com/best_46_free_utilities.htm

You don't really need it if you are careful.

Or try ClamWin and free MS Malicious software removal tool. There is always FreeAVG.

Other people's PC's. Yes agree with TMT. People are dim and always fill their PC's with rubbish, so protect them to the hilt and charge them.

Other people's PC's. Yes agree with TMT. People are dim and always fill their PC's with rubbish, so protect them to the hilt and charge them.

Yes, people are incredibly thick with their PCs and often they install something which fecks them up.

I was considering doing the white van PC repair man but, having trialled it to see whether I could do it, my heart simply sank. There is a very good reason why corporates standardise - you simply cannot support everything.

Plus, when you go round people's houses something as simply a virus removal can take many hours - making it totally impractical in terms of cost per hour plus, as I said above, you can't know everything about every bit of software and hardware that thousands of home users use... plus whilst you are trying to get their printer to work or the webcam you have never heard of installed they are aksed you how to cut and paste or send an email or save a Word doc or... it is endless...

I was hoping that it could be a good earner - be your own boss, work in your own area, no real stress and maybe bring in about 30K a year... but all you find are loads of numpties out there... You try and be focused by only fixing what they need fixing but this prooves impossible when they ask you about the other 1001 things wrong with their PCs.

I couldn't see myself doing it for 6 months let alone the next 20 years - plus you are competing with the hobbyist who will do it for free or who will charge as little as a tenner a job.

In today's world of internet banking you need a good AV and anti-trojan program.

Eeek!

Give them an ubuntu live cd and tell them to boot off that everytime they want to do banking!

Guest DisposableHeroes

If buy anything online I use a Vmware / VirtualBox build OS (Ubuntu) for the sole purpose. I tend to install lots of programs which could be doing any number of things.

unless you go on dodgy sites and are reasonably careful , the chances of getting a virus are very slim now a days and most free one's will pick it up if you get a bit click happy.

virus software in my opinion is a bit a con and should be taken care of by the user / operating system, but then I suppose they are people that will install everything they can download.....

if you only use your computer for web browsing / email / office then get a free linux distro, no need to worry about virus's, it free and looks (and arguably runs better) than windows. Ubuntu is my preference.

unless you go on dodgy sites and are reasonably careful , the chances of getting a virus are very slim now a days and most free one's will pick it up if you get a bit click happy.

I agree. But one of the most dangerous setups ever has to be Win 98 directly exposed to the internet.

However I dare say most Win boxes are indirectly connect via a router with their IP masqueraded so should be much safer.

Yes, people are incredibly thick with their PCs and often they install something which fecks them up.

I was considering doing the white van PC repair man but, having trialled it to see whether I could do it, my heart simply sank. There is a very good reason why corporates standardise - you simply cannot support everything.

I know someone that does, but they are desperate. Must work out at £1 an hour for them!

However he has the sense to make people bring their knackered laptops or PC's to them.

Probably best charging them for a full data backup, then re-installing Windows. Try and train them to keep all their mp3's, smut collections on a portable drive to make the backup / restore simpler. The again you can just re-install Windows without reformatting everthing. If they have kept the original restore CD which the PC came with, its easier still.

Currently deciding what to use - just reinstalled Vista last week, so haven't got any AV software at the moment.

I have Avira on my laptop, and while it seems to work - the constant pop-up ads are very annoying - but worse, is the huge false positive rate which blocks a number of the software apps I use every day (expensive, paid for software too), and there is no way to tell Avira that it is a false positive (well, there is, but it doesn't actually learn, so the same warning comes up, next time you boot up, or run the software).

I used to use AVGFree 8 before I reinstalled, but it was so resource intensive it would leave the computer unusable (Dual core 3 GHz, 4 GB RAM).

I'll probably put AVGFree back on, but simply turn off routine system scanning.

Plus, when you go round people's houses something as simply a virus removal can take many hours - making it totally impractical in terms of cost per hour plus, as I said above, you can't know everything about every bit of software and hardware that thousands of home users use... plus whilst you are trying to get their printer to work or the webcam you have never heard of installed they are aksed you how to cut and paste or send an email or save a Word doc or... it is endless...

I was hoping that it could be a good earner - be your own boss, work in your own area, no real stress and maybe bring in about 30K a year... but all you find are loads of numpties out there... You try and be focused by only fixing what they need fixing but this prooves impossible when they ask you about the other 1001 things wrong with their PCs.

I couldn't see myself doing it for 6 months let alone the next 20 years - plus you are competing with the hobbyist who will do it for free or who will charge as little as a tenner a job.

I remember charging £100 per hour (cash..) for sorting out a PC over ten years ago. Even at that rate I wasn't interested in doing it.