House Price Crash Forum

Company Demands Copies Of Passport

GBdamo

HOLA441

Recieved this email from work today.

Is the paranoia generated by this place getting to me or is this a little sus? :ph34r:

XXXXXXXXXX has applied to the Home Office UK Border Agency for a Company Sponsor Licence that will allow us to continue to employ foreign nationals. This is part of new borders and immigration regulations which means that employers cannot sponsor foreign nationals to work in the United Kingdom without being licensed. A requirement of the Home Office is that we (the company) must hold copies of all employees current passports or appropriate identification.

If you have a current passport, please provide me with a copy of the following parts :-

- Any page containing personal details including nationality

- Any page containing the holder’s photo

- Any page with an expiration date

- Any relevant UK endorsements.

If you do not have a passport, please can you provide me with a copy of:-

- National Insurance Card and birth Certificate

or

- Identity Card

or

- Travel Documents (Documents showing the holder is allowed to stay in the UK and is allowed to do the work in question)

Please can you either scan or photocopy these documents and send these to me no later than 18th September 09. These documents will be held securely by HR and will only be used should we be audited by the Home Office. Thank you for your cooperation during this important exercise. :blink:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
Guest Parry aka GOD
Recieved this email from work today.

Is the paranoia generated by this place getting to me or is this a little sus? :ph34r:

XXXXXXXXXX has applied to the Home Office UK Border Agency for a Company Sponsor Licence that will allow us to continue to employ foreign nationals. This is part of new borders and immigration regulations which means that employers cannot sponsor foreign nationals to work in the United Kingdom without being licensed. A requirement of the Home Office is that we (the company) must hold copies of all employees current passports or appropriate identification.

If you have a current passport, please provide me with a copy of the following parts :-

- Any page containing personal details including nationality

- Any page containing the holder’s photo

- Any page with an expiration date

- Any relevant UK endorsements.

If you do not have a passport, please can you provide me with a copy of:-

- National Insurance Card and birth Certificate

or

- Identity Card

or

- Travel Documents (Documents showing the holder is allowed to stay in the UK and is allowed to do the work in question)

Please can you either scan or photocopy these documents and send these to me no later than 18th September 09. These documents will be held securely by HR and will only be used should we be audited by the Home Office. Thank you for your cooperation during this important exercise. :blink:

Is it all foreign nationals or everyone?

Looks like everyone.

Why?

HOLA443
HOLA444
Guest Parry aka GOD
I asked for confirmation on this and it is everyone - not just foreign nationals.

To what end?

Everytime the government does this, it would be an idea for them to explain why they want you to do this. Some of it might be quite rational.

HOLA445
HOLA446
Do what I do when theres some work instruction that I dont like......... nothing!

I always find this works!

I either don't fill in those E&D forms or if I do always tick the "Prefer not to say" option. It messes up their statistics if they have a big chunk of "not disclosed".

HOLA447
Guest Parry aka GOD
Do what I do when theres some work instruction that I dont like......... nothing!

Yes. Always my stance.

One firm I worked for, left after the end of a project with a former directors car (he'd left so didn't need it) and a fuel card. Two months later got a meek little phone call . . . "can we have the car back now?"

HOLA448

http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/employers...illegalworking/

Employers should check all prospective employees' entitlement to work in the United Kingdom, or they risk breaking the law. The checks that should be, or have been undertaken depend on when the employee is, or was recruited. Employers can find details on these pages about their current legal responsibilities and check whether they complied with law when taking on employees in the past.

It's been law for ages. NuLabour screw you for tax, then fail to provide border control, then shove the work on companies to do instead.

NuLabour NuShite.

HOLA449
Yes. Always my stance.

One firm I worked for, left after the end of a project with a former directors car (he'd left so didn't need it) and a fuel card. Two months later got a meek little phone call . . . "can we have the car back now?"

Haha. We often get stuff like this

will those of you who are playing in the match this afternoon move your clothes down onto the lower peg immediately after lunch, before you write your letter home, if you're not getting your hair cut, unless you've got a younger brother who is going out this weekend as the guest of another boy, in which case, collect his note before lunch, put it in your letter after you've had your hair cut, and make sure he moves your clothes down onto the lower peg for you. Now,-- It's perfectly simple. If you're not getting your hair cut, you don't have to move your brother's clothes down to the lower peg. You simply collect his note before lunch, after you've done your scripture prep, when you've written your letter home, before rest, move your own clothes onto the lower peg, greet the visitors, and report to Mr. Viney that you've had your chit signed.

I just ignore it. It goes away.

HOLA4410
Employers should check all prospective employees' entitlement to work in the United Kingdom, or they risk breaking the law. The checks that should be, or have been undertaken depend on when the employee is, or was recruited. Employers can find details on these pages about their current legal responsibilities and check whether they complied with law when taking on employees in the past.

NuLabour NuShite.

I understand this and would be willing to supply the information for them to check. It is the requirement for them to retain this information that sounds odd.

HOLA4411

I'm a contractor, and I've had to supply a copy of my passport for every new gig since 2005. I think it's to prove I'm a British subject and entitled to work in the UK. If I refused to supply it they'd just terminate the contract forthwith.

HOLA4412
I'm a contractor, and I've had to supply a copy of my passport for every new gig since 2005. I think it's to prove I'm a British subject and entitled to work in the UK. If I refused to supply it they'd just terminate the contract forthwith.

Again, I understand this and would be willing to supply the information for them to check. It is the requirement for them to retain this information that sounds odd.

HOLA4413
Guest Parry aka GOD
Again, I understand this and would be willing to supply the information for them to check. It is the requirement for them to retain this information that sounds odd.

Thing is as they see it, anyone could just tick a box on a form, they want to retain the proof. Oh it's all bonkers there now.

HOLA4414
Thing is as they see it, anyone could just tick a box on a form, they want to retain the proof. Oh it's all bonkers there now.

If our government controlled the borders of this island nation properly they would know that anyone within those borders was a legal worker.

The facts are that they haven't and they have deliberately neglected to do this in order to keep wage inflation under control.

Now they are trying to get a handle of how big the problem is. Truth be told they have no clue and, as pointed out earlier, they are back heeling this onto the private sector.

Why the concern now?

What are their intentions?

What are your responsibilities as a company if you have unwittingly employed an illegal worker?

Why as a company are you going to be held responsible when the government has been so blatantly irresponsible?

Now back to your ladyboys Mr P :P

HOLA4415
Guest Parry aka GOD
If our government controlled the borders of this island nation properly they would know that anyone within those borders was a legal worker.

The facts are that they haven't and they have deliberately neglected to do this in order to keep wage inflation under control.

Now they are trying to get a handle of how big the problem is. Truth be told they have no clue and, as pointed out earlier, they are back heeling this onto the private sector.

Why the concern now?

What are their intentions?

What are your responsibilities as a company if you have unwittingly employed an illegal worker?

Why as a company are you going to be held responsible when the government has been so blatantly irresponsible?

Now back to your ladyboys Mr P :P

Exactly!

Yeah ladyboys much funnier. Did you find any good pics of ones where there was no way of telling until pants down?

HOLA4416
Exactly!

Yeah ladyboys much funnier. Did you find any good pics of ones where there was no way of telling until pants down?

No but my brother tell a good story about a dancer he saw in BK. Aparently he was half and half (vertically) - 1 boob, half his body shaved and danced from behind a curtain. Strange people indeed, scarred the poor lad for life :lol:

HOLA4417
I understand this and would be willing to supply the information for them to check. It is the requirement for them to retain this information that sounds odd.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecont...pdf?view=Binary

From Page 6

Section 15 of the 2006 Act may also enable an employer to establish an excuse against liability for payment of a civil penalty for employing an illegal migrant. An employer can establish the excuse by checking and copying certain original documents before an employee starts working for you.

Why now? Because all employers are constantly stumbling accross this kind of crap every day. Most of us shrug and accept that we can't be expected to abide by all of it.

I know it's a cliche, but this really is classic government overlegislation and bloat.

HOLA4418
Guest X-QUORK

+1

HOLA4419

It is immigration. Firms are responsible for making sure the people they employ are legally allowed to work in the UK, companies are fined if they are found to employ illegal residents. Yes it seems bad, but the choice is:

Allow everyone in the world to work in the UK.

Allow legally entitled people to work in the UK.

Personally I think everyone should have the right to work wherever there origin, but lots of people disagree with me

HOLA4420
Guest absolutezero

We've been asked to let HR have copies of our passports so I contacted my union.

The union told me to let them see the passport but don't let them take a copy (because they only need to check it) and if I have any more grief about it get back in touch.

I showed HR and they said "leave it with us" so I explained the union's advice and how I won't let my passport out of my sight because of "national security". :lol:

HR weren't happy but there's nothing more they can do because they just have to check our identities, not keep records.

I don't know if the law for your case says "check" or "take copies" but might be worth checking or seeking advice from your union if you're in one.

HOLA4421
Is it all foreign nationals or everyone?

Looks like everyone.

Why?

The reason is that there are two pieces of legislation at play.

There is no requirement in respect of those entitled to work without restriction. However, the employer could fall foul of discrimination legislation if he doen't check everyone.

How would the employer decide which ones to check? Colour of skin? Funny accent? Using such means is the path to the employment tribunal.

p-o-p

HOLA4422
Guest X-QUORK
We've been asked to let HR have copies of our passports so I contacted my union.

The union told me to let them see the passport but don't let them take a copy (because they only need to check it) and if I have any more grief about it get back in touch.

I showed HR and they said "leave it with us" so I explained the union's advice and how I won't let my passport out of my sight because of "national security". :lol:

HR weren't happy but there's nothing more they can do because they just have to check our identities, not keep records.

I don't know if the law for your case says "check" or "take copies" but might be worth checking or seeking advice from your union if you're in one.

Well played.

HOLA4423
Guest Parry aka GOD
No but my brother tell a good story about a dancer he saw in BK. Aparently he was half and half (vertically) - 1 boob, half his body shaved and danced from behind a curtain. Strange people indeed, scarred the poor lad for life :lol:

It's mental illness. A national disease.

HOLA4424

Typical public sector non-compliance through incompetence - they are the worst at following the government's own laws as tabled by other civil servants. I doubt your school will get fined, and if they do, what will it mean? They should sack you really, union boy or not. They won't though, because they are corrupt.

If you want the facts, follow the links I have posted above, but I doubt you do.

This bit of legislation and your rebellion are all stuff I do not wish to pay for.

HOLA4425

I have also had to supply a copy of my passport for each contract I've worked on. A bit puzzling really, as it hasn't stopped the Government allowing thousands of imported workers to come in from outside the EU. Well I should say was a bit puzzling. Take a look at the cost of renewing your passport compared with 10 years ago. It's now a nice little earner, and the thieves who control us don't want anyone avoiding payment of this stealth tax.

EDIT: In 1995, a 10-year adult passport cost £18 How much is it now? £77 ?

Archived