House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hedgefunded

Are Ebay Trying To Make People Hate Them?

Just tried to list a couple of video games on behalf of my son.

It appears now that the maximum postage that can be specified is £0.00 - That's right, you have to offer free postage.

So, to sell a game it will cost me:

10p listing fee

£2.00 to post it

4% of the final value when the buyer uses PayPal. You MUST accept PayPal to list these days

10% of the final value as eBay's selling fee.

25p to withdraw the money from PayPal

So, the game that would sell for about £6 will leave me with £2.80

Absolute joke and that's my account closed.

Guest skullingtonjoe

It appears now that the maximum postage that can be specified is £0.00 - That's right, you have to offer free postage.

10p listing fee

£2.00 to post it

4% of the final value when the buyer uses PayPal. You MUST accept PayPal to list these days

Don`t blame you - Ebay`s legalised theft (and guess who the victims are?) :( :angry:

Buyers love ebay so its swings and roundabouts. Video game for 99p and no postage. no neg feedback either . Never could understand how a buyer got neg feedback after payment to seller.

Hang on, I thought you were still selling the Bisto tin.

I've got it on my watch list (I must get out more)! :P

Yes, well my account is closed, the Bisto tin is on my wife's account. She's got better feeback (like it will make any difference...)

10p listing fee

£2.00 to post it

Can't you just set a starting price that includes the postage? I find that a lot of people overcharge on the postage, and it's really annoying. You buy a book for £2, the p&p is £2.50, then when it arrives you get the book stuffed into a padded envelope with £1.20 worth of stamps on it. Now often, instead of paying £2 for the book and £2.50 for the postage, I'd have been happy to pay a starting price of £3.50 plus £1.50 for the p&p; but when I get charged £1 or £1.50 more than the actual cost of postage I just end up feeling that I've been ripped off.

Can't you just set a starting price that includes the postage? I find that a lot of people overcharge on the postage, and it's really annoying. You buy a book for £2, the p&p is £2.50, then when it arrives you get the book stuffed into a padded envelope with £1.20 worth of stamps on it. Now often, instead of paying £2 for the book and £2.50 for the postage, I'd have been happy to pay a starting price of £3.50 plus £1.50 for the p&p; but when I get charged £1 or £1.50 more than the actual cost of postage I just end up feeling that I've been ripped off.

No, I'm not doing that. If I do, then eBay effectively get 10% of my postage costs as well (which of course is why they are doing this). It will cost me £2.00 to send a game and I don't think it's unreasonable to charge for that.

I have no problem with eBay setting a maximum price for postage, but setting it to zero is just taking the p1ss.

As has been said on here before recently, Ebay are just getting greedy. They are getting rather close to killing the goose that lays golden eggs.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...=STRK:MESELX:IT

The Bisto tin.

Never used e-bay myself. I like the local paper small ads as I can drive round and see the item, or they can come round and see what I'm selling. Looking at second-hand push-bikes atm.

You have that option on ebay too Frank. Just select 'nearest distance' in order of priority and you'll get everything for sale <5miles from your postcode, then <10 etc. etc.

I always view bigger stuff (like bikes) first, just like you would in the free ads ;)

Guest skullingtonjoe
As has been said on here before recently, Ebay are just getting greedy. They are getting rather close to killing the goose that lays golden eggs.

Think they`ve always been that way tbh. :(

Buyers love ebay so its swings and roundabouts. Video game for 99p and no postage. no neg feedback either . Never could understand how a buyer got neg feedback after payment to seller.

Do you only buy and not sell?

There's loads of nutter Aspergers type buyers and also loads of scammers who try and blackmail partial refunds with the threat of leaving negative feedback for the seller.

I don't think the free P&P on some categories has been a success on ebay. Ebay does seem to be gearing itself towards big business with bottomless inventory and slick economical despatch. This is all great for me and bad for the people trying to turn a profit on a few bits and bobs as a sideline.

A big seller has big advantages like, if you're a featured shop or above listing fees of 5p or 1p. If you're a titanium powerseller only 6% FVF. £55k/month through paypal means 20p + 1.4 instead of 3.4%.

On top of that if, like us, you've already got a sizeable online operation picking and shipping is little hassle and Royal Mail/DHL will come and collect all your shipping and you'll pay a hell of a lot less than at a PO counter and you'll get credit too.

It does appear that ebay is trying to attract more serious mainstream businesses and things like the daily deals reinforce that view. It concerns me that it may lose its allure, as many of the queries we get from buyers seem to suggest they thinks it's just one guy operating out of his front room - everything always sells out eventually though (I'm referring to companies not ebay listings).

eBay used to be good. I used it a lot. I made money, eBay made money.

Then they started with all this stupid paypal only rubbish and basically became an online comparison site for businesses.

Its pretty bad now, all the decent private sellers have gone and all the rare items i used to find arnt there any more. Now all i find is page after page of the same shit selling from 50 different ebay shops, none of which i want to buy.

I just wish someone would set up a site exactly how the old ebay was. I would use it all the time.

ebay don't really give a shit what you think. In that respect they are a lot like NuLiebore

lol yeah, that's exactly it.

They both think that they are so big that nobody can touch them, that they can do what they want.

I only buy from Ebay - buying there is still good.

I've a few items lying about but it's so much hassle listing them it's not worth it once Egay take their massive cut. I'm not supporting those clowns.

I just wish someone would set up a site exactly how the old ebay was. I would use it all the time.

I wish too. Trouble is ebay have reached such a dominant, almost monopoly position in the auction market that no-one else seems capable of setting up against them. ebid are (in my opinion) a joke, and weird to boot, and yahoo who are huge in Japan, pulled out of the US & UK markets 5 years ago - they were great, & they kept ebay from becoming e-bullies.

Needs a giant corp. to even have a stab at creating a sensible competitor, and no-one seems to have the stomach for it so far.

Unfortunately.

:(

Don't be thick mate :P

What you're saying is you'd be happy to pay £5 rather than £4.50 :rolleyes:

I've sold thousands of products on eBay and I had the same logic challenged people whining at me about postage. It's pretty simple really, money is money regardless of what 'component' of the price you think it's paying for. Is the overall cost worth it? Simple, and the only question you need to ask. If you can buy it for 1p and £4.99 p&p from one place or £10 and 1p p&p from another place, well I'll take the one charging the outrageous p&p.

In fairness, eBay are partly responsibly, they don't levy the final value fee on the p&p component - this is why sellers load up the p&p - which irritates buyers who can't think properly.

Don't be thick mate :P

What you're saying is you'd be happy to pay £5 rather than £4.50 :rolleyes:

Oops, my mistake. I meant to say that instead of paying £2 + £2.50 p&p I'd rather pay £3 + £1.50 p&p.

I'm just saying that psychologically it feels like you're being taken for a ride. The listing says £2.50 p&p, you get the thing and the postage has cost £1: I really do end up feeling that the seller's being dishonest. Every time this happens I mark the postage as being unreasonable.

Edit: did those pound signs come out OK? I'm seeing an A in front of them.

Oops, my mistake. I meant to say that instead of paying �2 + �2.50 p&p I'd rather pay �3 + �1.50- p&p.

I'm just saying that psychologically it feels like you're being taken for a ride. The listing says �2.50 p&p, you get the thing and the postage has cost �1: I really do end up feeling that the seller's being dishonest. Every time this happens I mark the postage as being unreasonable.

Fair enough. P&P does include packaging as well which isn't always cheap - plus somebody has to take it to the Post Office.

The fault is largely eBay's though - they could easily rectify it if they wanted to.

Personally, I couldn't care less, I look at the overall price.

Oops, my mistake. I meant to say that instead of paying £2 + £2.50 p&p I'd rather pay £3 + 1/5- p&p.

I'm just saying that psychologically it feels like you're being taken for a ride. The listing says £2.50 p&p, you get the thing and the postage has cost £1: I really do end up feeling that the seller's being dishonest. Every time this happens I mark the postage as being unreasonable.

We've definitely found *most reasonable* P&P equals much higher volume of sales.

If you're £14.99 + free P&P you can find yourself losing sales to something at £9.99 + £5.99 P&P.

We tend to load P&P a bit on items people are likely to buy more than one of then offer free P&P on any additional ordered - this bumps up volumes a lot.

Rip off P&P will result in low DSRs and it'd be silly to risk powerseller status as it's worth so much in savings on FVF.

Fair enough. P&P does include packaging as well which isn't always cheap - plus somebody has to take it to the Post Office.

The fault is largely eBay's though - they could easily rectify it if they wanted to.

Yes, I agree. If they called it something else, like "postage, packing, and handling" then I probably wouldn't feel so (irrationally) annoyed. Like I said, I'd be happy to pay a higher starting price for lower p&p, but someone else pointed out that eBay would then get a cut of the selling price which they don't get from the postage. Judging by what people say it's even more annoying if you're selling stuff, so I guess everyone's getting hacked off, which was the OP's point.

Edit: ... and I thought that maybe eBay's reasoning for requiring free p&p was to stop this happening, but now I see that it also gives them a bigger cut.

Yes, I agree. If they called it something else, like "postage, packing, and handling" then I probably wouldn't feel so (irrationally) annoyed. Like I said, I'd be happy to pay a higher starting price for lower p&p, but someone else pointed out that eBay would then get a cut of the selling price which they don't get from the postage. Judging by what people say it's even more annoying if you're selling stuff, so I guess everyone's getting hacked off, which was the OP's point.

Edit: ... and I thought that maybe eBay's reasoning for requiring free p&p was to stop this happening, but now I see that it also gives them a bigger cut.

I used to be a part-time power seller on eBay. Made thousands and thousands of sales. When they made it possible for buyers to leave me negative feedback but I could only leave them positive feedback I jacked it in. You get a lot of buyers who will essentially try and blackmail you with the threat of negative feedback if they know you can't respond.

The other major thing was forcing you to offer PayPal with its outrageous charges. Some of the items I sold were high value with small percentage markups.

They are totally retarded and must of lost many many sellers like me. Massive opening in the market there for somebody to slip into but they'll need to treat their sellers a bit better than sh1t. eBay will become irrelevant eventually if they don't sort it out.

eBay used to be good. I used it a lot. I made money, eBay made money.

Then they started with all this stupid paypal only rubbish and basically became an online comparison site for businesses.

Its pretty bad now, all the decent private sellers have gone and all the rare items i used to find arnt there any more. Now all i find is page after page of the same shit selling from 50 different ebay shops, none of which i want to buy.

They probably own paypal..............???

I used to be a part-time power seller on eBay. Made thousands and thousands of sales. When they made it possible for buyers to leave me negative feedback but I could only leave them positive feedback I jacked it in. You get a lot of buyers who will essentially try and blackmail you with the threat of negative feedback if they know you can't respond.

The other major thing was forcing you to offer PayPal with its outrageous charges. Some of the items I sold were high value with small percentage markups.

They are totally retarded and must of lost many many sellers like me. Massive opening in the market there for somebody to slip into but they'll need to treat their sellers a bit better than sh1t. eBay will become irrelevant eventually if they don't sort it out.

I noticed we were getting a lot of this. Luckliy, we can just say take the item back to your nearest bricks and mortar shop and someone will sort it out. They then say 'I haven't got time to go there, it's too far away blah, blah', we then bluff and say 'that's ok we'll get the area manager who's on the road to stop buy and sort it'. So far not a single one has taken up the offer of a visit or left negative feedback, to my knowledge.

TBH, bigger retailers like Argos and catalogue companies have been sort of courted by ebay. I have a strong feeling there was actually a deliberate agenda to drive small sellers away.