House Price Crash Forum

Darling Says We Can't Cap Bankers Bonuses

HOLA441

They can put a man on the moon

They can eradicate smallpox

They can send half of all school leavers to university

They can win the "War on Terror"

They can put half a dozen cameras on every town centre street to check up on YOU

But they can't cap banker's bonuses. Oh no, that would be too hard :rolleyes:

Remind me who is in charge?

Edited by dazednconfused

HOLA442
HOLA443

They can put half a dozen cameras on every town centre street to check up on YOU

The bankers? :blink:

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Adam Smith?? The Magna Carter? Contract Law?

HOLA448

If Darling has said this then it's yet another item of overeaction they have found they can't deliver on...what chance for Turners bizarre tax the profits of the banks as they are socially unproductive... none. Its all just so much waffle and sound bites.. these guys haven't even thought through the things they "promise" before they kick off.... turner hadn't even worked out that he doesn't actually control tax rates before he came up with his cure all.. meanwhile still not one reasoned reflection on the canadian model which has suffered hardly at all through all this. While I am sure mimickig the model in its entirety might not work.. you never know there may be some lessosn to learn there.

HOLA449

If you ban bonuses then how do you provide performance related pay? Is commission a bonus? If not they will simply apply it as a comission charge.

If a waiter earns 3x salary due to tips will you ban that - or is it only in financial companies? How about estate agents, salesmen or recruiters who would be more than happy to earn over 100% bonus?

HOLA4410

He might be correct. However, i know an increasing amount of people that have the potential to take things into their own hands and follow them home with baseball bats tucked out of sight but within easy reach.

In the good times the one million on the dole couldn't be bothered to work. Now we have an extra 1,500,000 on the dole who want to work. They've got a hell of a lot of time to think about the reasons why they can't feed their kids or pay the rent.

The bankers have been very brave to flaunt this. They'll get theres sooner rather than later. Yes there is an amount of laziness and ignorance in the general population but history has proven that an element of our society aren't shrinking violets when the sh1t hits the fan.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
He might be correct. However, i know an increasing amount of people that have the potential to take things into their own hands and follow them home with baseball bats tucked out of sight but within easy reach.

In the good times the one million on the dole couldn't be bothered to work. Now we have an extra 1,500,000 on the dole who want to work. They've got a hell of a lot of time to think about the reasons why they can't feed their kids or pay the rent.

The bankers have been very brave to flaunt this. They'll get theres sooner rather than later. Yes there is an amount of laziness and ignorance in the general population but history has proven that an element of our society aren't shrinking violets when the sh1t hits the fan.

Surely the rankings should be Politicians, btl'ers, people with stupidly big mortgages they cant hope to ever pay off, then the bankers?

HOLA4413

Again bankers are not in possession of special and unique talent - rather they just have a Government license to create fiat credit out of thin air. Give me a laser printer and the right to issue legal tender and I could do much the same.

Of course Darling can stop bonuses. Or alternatively he could restrict banks to only lending from core capital. Then we could see how special and unique their talent really is.

HOLA4414

Of course its unenforceable. Darling makes the same mistake he has made before and tells the truth.

The rhetoric about controlling bankers pay was just that - rhetoric to make the sheeple think the money which is being stolen from them and given to the financiers has strings attached.

And its quite correct that there should not be wage controls. Personally I hate seeing footballers earning so much so I don't buy the replica shirts or pay to watch a game but I wouldn't want Gordon Brown telling football clubs how much they are allowed to pay even if high footballer wages are damaging our young people by making them think they can get rich by kicking a ball about and shagging Essex girls.

HOLA4415

This whole "stop the bonuses" thing is a diversion. The real issue is regulation and the fraud committed giving people and companies loans on overvalued assets. However, this whole bonuses thing diverts from that, and from the criminal investigations and prosecutions that should be taking place. And the diversion appears to be working.

Edited by mikthe20

HOLA4416
Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

Just shoot a few of them and refuse to pay interest on national debt.

Job done.

I reckon a few dozen headshots will calm them down.

All we need is a list and some good sniper rifles.

They're all just narcissistic psychopaths who think they're geniuses.

Edited by DissipatedYouthIsValuable

HOLA4417
This whole "stop the bonuses" thing is a diversion. The real issue is regulation and the fraud committed giving people and companies loans on overvalued assets. However, this whole bonuses thing diverts from the that, and from the criminal investigations and prosecutions that should be taking place. And the diversion appears to be working.

Quite so.

The bonus people like woshisname from RBS got was based on mispricing the assets held by the bank. If the valuations had been transparent he would have got nothing.

Interestingly, this government introduced bonuses for consultant medical staff against the advice of the profession. They are called clinical excellence awards and reward anything but clinical excellence. Obviously people who want an award change their behaviour in the way determined by the government and take on more managerial roles which is more likely to earn a bonus than clinical work. I know people applying for awards who only do 3.5 hours of clinical work a week.

HOLA4418
Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
Quite so.

The bonus people like woshisname from RBS got was based on mispricing the assets held by the bank. If the valuations had been transparent he would have got nothing.

Interestingly, this government introduced bonuses for consultant medical staff against the advice of the profession. They are called clinical excellence awards and reward anything but clinical excellence. Obviously people who want an award change their behaviour in the way determined by the government and take on more managerial roles which is more likely to earn a bonus than clinical work. I know people applying for awards who only do 3.5 hours of clinical work a week.

Bastards hire and reward in their own image.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
Again bankers are not in possession of special and unique talent - rather they just have a Government license to create fiat credit out of thin air. Give me a laser printer and the right to issue legal tender and I could do much the same.

Of course Darling can stop bonuses. Or alternatively he could restrict banks to only lending from core capital. Then we could see how special and unique their talent really is.

Indeed you understand the fundamental issue. The answer imo is to take away their ability to create money.

HOLA4422

If they can't enforce rules on banker bonuses then they can't force you to pay tax either. So don't.

Time for a tax strike.

HOLA4423
Any bank that is no longer receiving state support is free to pay their staff whatever the hell they like, as long as they have the support of their shareholders.

Why should they cap bankers bonuses? Because they get paid more than you?

I would agree with the principle of what you say but unfortunately in practice the shareholders are almost all other banks or financial institutions so it is a case of leaving the fox to guard the chickens.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425