House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mega

The New Mini No-event

Mandy & co Hail this as a great suscess getting it built in Britian................A few Facts.

The "New" Mini Coupe is just a mini drop top with a low angled windscreen & rear seats removed. Both Coupe & drop top have had at best lukewarn responce. Both would be Niche market items, on a car thats a Niche item its self. Thus in a full blown depression i can't see vast numbers being required.

So, of course BMW was going to make them at Oxford........Where else?

I also think the "Mini" thing is drawing to a close, a Bloody expensive "Chintz mobile" with LESS space than the OLD MIni is not going to be the tp of most peoples shopping list. BMW need to understand that with the crash & 1-3 Series being MEGA expensive what people want is a Mini-BMW NOT a BMW Mini.

Mike

Keep seeing adverts all over the place for their "50th Anniversary"

mini-50th-anniversary.jpg

Fine...except the spiv-mobile in it's current bastardisation shares nothing but the name. It's bigger than a fiesta for gods sake.

If I had an image of the over-leveraged greedy boom years, it would be of a barratt 5 bed slave-plot with a greasy oik with bad dress sense handing over the keys to a wag couple with their RR vogue and mini cooper 's' parked outside

The new MINI sucks.

It shares none of the characteristics of the old mini, and fulfills none of the duties.

All they have done is got a Toyota Yaris-like box and shoved a faux chrome plastic grille on it. Then charged extortionate prices for it.

With you on that summary Chris25

"It shares none of the characteristics of the old mini, and fulfills none of the duties.

All they have done is got a Toyota Yaris-like box and shoved a faux chrome plastic grille on it. Then charged extortionate prices for it."

I used to work closely with BMW Mini, do not touch a Mini unless it is an 08 onward, they have a multitude of problems, most noticeably an unbearable interior noise that is down to body design

The new MINI sucks.

"

Why don't they make a car that can be repaired with a hammer and a screwdriver like the ones they build for eastern europe.

I agree totally.

I work in the car industry and can honestly say despite all the complicated electronics, computers and programming in modern cars, they are no more reliable and efficient than they were in the 90's, and even though the 90's weren't long ago one could still easily fix and service their own car then.

Perhaps I am in the minority. All I want is a simple car with character (like an old mini), that is rugged, fuel-efficient and has a radio. Don't give a damn about aircon, computers, TV's, electric windows, air suspension etc.

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
I agree totally.

I work in the car industry and can honestly say despite all the complicated electronics, computers and programming in modern cars, they are no more reliable and efficient than they were in the 90's, and even though the 90's weren't long ago one could still easily fix and service their own car then.

Perhaps I am in the minority. All I want is a simple car with character (like an old mini), that is rugged, fuel-efficient and has a radio. Don't give a damn about aircon, computers, TV's, electric windows, air suspension etc.

But you're supposed to embrace the continuous stepwise upgrade cycle and give away your autonomy like a good little consumer

I don't like retro-pastiche cars but the New Mini is better looking that others of the genre like the New Beetle, the Fiat 500 or the hideous Morgan Aero 8. Morgan certainly should have known better, since they still produce the traditional Morgans as well.

The original Mini styling (if it can be called that!) was based on a larger prototype rear-wheel drive car from the mid 1950's. In fact this car, known as the XC9001, which had 4 doors, was probably bigger than the New Mini. Presumably Alec Issigonis designed the XC9001 as well as the later Mini.

ado17dev_03.jpg

Now that they are making all these New Mini spin-offs things are getting a bit silly - they are even planning an SUV called the Mini Crossman. Where will it end? The Mini 7-seat MPV? The Mini Executive Limousine?

Yes it is a bastardisation of the brand. but that happens in walks of design led facets of life from music to fashion etc

As a hot hatch purest 205 gti 1.6 and 1.9, GTI mk2 16v big bumper, Clio 172 cup etc I was very sceptical about the initial R53 Cooper S - thirsty, whiney supercharger, not that fast.

But I must admit to now owning the R56 cooper s and it has slowly won me over. Great to drive long distances, very fuel efficient. A right punchy bugger with the Works kit. And it is one of the few small cars to hold its value really well.

And as for Spivs mmm don’t really care (and would have thought more applicable to Audi A4, mockney made its in 3 series rep mobiles but ho hum), when parked up all sort of different folk always have a look at and seem more intrigued in it than any other motor I have had so I would say try one before you knock it.

Love the original Mini but just love the new mini in 2009 on a piss wet through Motorway ïŠ

Mandy & co Hail this as a great suscess getting it built in Britian................A few Facts.

The "New" Mini Coupe is just a mini drop top with a low angled windscreen & rear seats removed. Both Coupe & drop top have had at best lukewarn responce. Both would be Niche market items, on a car thats a Niche item its self. Thus in a full blown depression i can't see vast numbers being required.

So, of course BMW was going to make them at Oxford........Where else?

I also think the "Mini" thing is drawing to a close, a Bloody expensive "Chintz mobile" with LESS space than the OLD MIni is not going to be the tp of most peoples shopping list. BMW need to understand that with the crash & 1-3 Series being MEGA expensive what people want is a Mini-BMW NOT a BMW Mini.

Mike

+1. They are very cute when everyone's flush with cash (ok, it was the banks, but who cares?) and I don't think its a coincidence that the first new Mini launch was around the start of the boom, which is why they even sold more than a handful IMO. However in a tanking enonomy where people must pay back their debts, these will just not sell.

Rummor is BMW KNOW Blighty is F*cked thus they produce a new FWD BMW..........At Oxford. Now we are post lease-hire-rep-in-a-3-series.............If you want a Bimmer its going to be cheaper FWD model......I try to link a photo-chop.

BMWMiniAutoBild.jpg

post-11488-1252083337_thumb.jpg

I agree totally.

Same here. I would be very happy with a Logan, but I don't think it's made it to the UK yet.

renault-logan-front-lh-static.jpg

I don't like retro-pastiche cars but the New Mini is better looking that others of the genre like the New Beetle, the Fiat 500 or the hideous Morgan Aero 8. Morgan certainly should have known better, since they still produce the traditional Morgans as well.

The original Mini styling (if it can be called that!) was based on a larger prototype rear-wheel drive car from the mid 1950's. In fact this car, known as the XC9001, which had 4 doors, was probably bigger than the New Mini. Presumably Alec Issigonis designed the XC9001 too as well as the Mini.

ado17dev_03.jpg

Now that they are making all these New Mini spin-offs things are getting a bit silly - they are even planning an SUV called the Mini Crossman. Where will it end? The Mini 7-seat MPV? The Mini Executive Limousine?

That presumably mutated into the Austin Landcrab (AD017). FWD / transverse engine. Basically a giant Mini

Austin_1800_Balanza.JPG

I did once own a Wolseley 2200 based on the landcrab!

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
I agree totally.

But you're supposed to embrace the continuous stepwise upgrade cycle like a good little consumer.