House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

juvenal

All Is Safely Gathered In...

Just collecting toms, ridge cucumbers, runner beans, french beans, carrots and beetroot.

What sort of growing season is everyone else having? Anyone harvesting sweetcorn? How is it?

Just collecting toms, ridge cucumbers, runner beans, french beans, carrots and beetroot.

What sort of growing season is everyone else having? Anyone harvesting sweetcorn? How is it?

A friend just phoned to say he was harvesting Gourds and was having a good crop.I don't quite see the point of them really because you can't eat them.Unlike the Turk's Turbine that eats very well indeed.

Guest DisposableHeroes

Good luck with your collection of tom's.

The sweetcorn was a bit pants this year...

Looking around on the allotments at others S/C it would seem like it wasn't the best year for it. How was yours?

Tomatoes (both indoor and out) have done well, as have carrots, lots of people have complained about the cucumbers (or lack of flowers setting) this year - I don't grow them myself though.

Runner beans seemed a bit short lived this year, the courgettes were OK, and the blackberries were/are very sorry for themselves - I think it's just been too dry.

I am coveting my neighbours squash... three of them have wandered onto my patch, and I'm wondering what the protocol is for income/produce taxation is if they're growing their crops on my land.... :P

I put my cabbage seedlings in on Monday, and forgot to cover them with some fleece... and the birds have had about half of them. Not impressed! Lesson learnt, and hopefully remembered this time.

Had to give up my allotment unfortunately when I move into my grandfathers house. No time to plant anything but a few sunflowers and a few sweetcorn. Chose poor soil for those so they have hardly grown.

Still got about 20kg of potatos out of my allotment and havent bought a spud since early june - still have quite a few left.

I also have a rescue jerusalem 'choke. It was a tiny piece about the size of the last joint of your thumb, I had chucked it aside in feb, then started sprouting. Planted it here and it has done OK, although the wind demolished one of the two stalks last night.

Hopefully the remaining stalk will give the tubers some food to engorge themselves on in the next month or two.

Courgettes, courgettes and more bloody courgettes. Cook them with garlic, cook them with pepper, or more pepper, or with cheese or with pesto and they are still courgettes.

The runner beans are bountiful but the consistency of boot leather.

Spuds are OK but cannot get excited about them.

Peas were rubbish, lettice bolted.

All the autumn berries are strong this year and the swallows have left.

Time to salt the pig and go to bed.

Got all of the Winter Barley and Spring Barley in. Managed most of the Wheat, still about 17 acres to do but it keeps on f@cking raining.

Also, still have second cut of Silage to get in; winter food for the dairy herd. F@cking rain.

Not a brilliant yield due to it being sown late last year - f@cking rain. Double, nay, triple whammy because grain prices are sh1t and the milk price is sh1t.

Still, could be worse I guess.

VB

In France my apples are all rubbish: one of the pear trees is marginally OK.

Bumper year for soft fruit! Seven Damson trees groaning. The Walnut tree is covered too.

It was also a bumper crop year for cherries earlier.

Spinach is great too.

The sweetcorn was a bit pants this year...

Looking around on the allotments at others S/C it would seem like it wasn't the best year for it. How was yours?

Tomatoes (both indoor and out) have done well, as have carrots, lots of people have complained about the cucumbers (or lack of flowers setting) this year - I don't grow them myself though.

Runner beans seemed a bit short lived this year, the courgettes were OK, and the blackberries were/are very sorry for themselves - I think it's just been too dry.

I am coveting my neighbours squash... three of them have wandered onto my patch, and I'm wondering what the protocol is for income/produce taxation is if they're growing their crops on my land.... :P

I put my cabbage seedlings in on Monday, and forgot to cover them with some fleece... and the birds have had about half of them. Not impressed! Lesson learnt, and hopefully remembered this time.

My sweetcorn was the best ever. I've never tasted sweetcorn like it. If I hadn't cooked them myself I'd have sworn someone coated them in sugar before serving them. I've got about 50 planted this year and it looks like they've had the perfect growing season.

Potatoes, beetroot, carrots, onions, garlic all great this year. More spinach than I could ever eat. Quite a good lot of lettuce too.

Cabbages and brussels under siege from cabbage white caterpillars. I'm buying that mesh stuff for next year.

Apples doing great (well a couple of trees hit by rot but others ok), pears too. One plum tree very bountiful. Got a few lovely apricots too. Bugger all cherries.

Raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, gooseberries, and red, white and blackcurrants all did great. Raspberries and blackberries still going.

Had to buy a chest freezer to store all the surplus.

Overall it's the best year so far.

Just starting to look up recipes for green tomatoes. The bastards refuse to ripen.

Green Tom chutney.

potatoes : did well , got shitloads

lettuce : took a while to get going but going well now , only 2/5 left in the ground

onions : going great , in the best part of the garden.should be ready to pick in a month or so.looking forward to making some F O soup with them.

spinach : growing , albeit slowly.i think the soil might need more organic matter/sulphur.

peas : died , i believe soil was too alkaline for them (ph around 7.5 - added some manure after this and put potatoes there instead)

The last 2 years have been a right off.

This year has been much much better, got jars of chutneys, jams, pickles and preserves of all sorts coming out of my ears, freezer full to bursting. shopping bills gone down to virtually nothing.

Just heading down to collect a lorry load of plums and a few damsons and elderberrys out of the hedge to make more jam.

The sweetcorn looks almost ready, and am going to spray the bugs on the cabbages etc, as they seem very hungry.

runner beans are going to be left on the plants to dry and will use dried beans through the winter.

All in all a much better year.