House Price Crash Forum

Bristol Redevelopment Really Going Well

Snugglybear

HOLA441

From the This Is Bristol website

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/homepage/St...il/article.html

"The opening of the £20 million Radisson Blu hotel in Bristol has been delayed for an eighth time.

Staff at the hotel were not paid last month and have been sent home until the situation has been resolved.

The former Bristol & West Building Society headquarters in Broad Quay has been transformed from a grey 1960s office block into a four-star hotel – but will not now open until October 5.

The latest date for the Radisson's delayed opening had been September 15.

The hotel is owned by Rex Developments, which pays a management fee to the Radisson group to train the staff and run the hotel.

Rex also pays the staff, but failed to pay the salaries of the 40 employees in August.

Customers who have booked rooms from September 15 have been offered alternative accommodation at different hotels including the Marriott City Centre hotel.

In a statement, Radisson said: "A situation has arisen whereby the staff at the Radisson Blu Hotel, Bristol, were unable to be paid at the end of August due to funds not being disclosed by the bank. Radisson Blu Hotel, Bristol, is working with the hotel owners on behalf of the employees to ensure that funds are made available for payment of salaries as soon as possible. The hotel deeply regrets this situation and hopes that it will soon be resolved."

The 18-storey hotel was originally due to open last summer but building work was delayed because of flood damage after a freak storm in May 2008 and the opening date put back – first to October last year, then February and then May 15. There were two further delays and the date has been moved to August 10, and then September 15.

The hotel has 176 bedrooms, five suites, conference facilities and a large spa. It will also have its own balcony herb garden, providing fresh produce for the hotel's restaurant Filini. An additional floor has been added, making it an 18-storey hotel, the tallest in Bristol.

Rex Developments were unavailable for comment."

Embarassing for Radisson. But then, perhaps they shouldn't have agreed to an arrangement where another company took the risk on creating the building. (What were Rex getting out of it? Rent?) It's public egg on Radisson's face, they're the ones with the image problem, now the risk has proved too risky and it's all gone Pete Tong.

HOLA442
Guest Parry aka GOD
From the This Is Bristol website

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/homepage/St...il/article.html

"The opening of the £20 million Radisson Blu hotel in Bristol has been delayed for an eighth time.

Staff at the hotel were not paid last month and have been sent home until the situation has been resolved.

The former Bristol & West Building Society headquarters in Broad Quay has been transformed from a grey 1960s office block into a four-star hotel – but will not now open until October 5.

The latest date for the Radisson's delayed opening had been September 15.

The hotel is owned by Rex Developments, which pays a management fee to the Radisson group to train the staff and run the hotel.

Rex also pays the staff, but failed to pay the salaries of the 40 employees in August.

Customers who have booked rooms from September 15 have been offered alternative accommodation at different hotels including the Marriott City Centre hotel.

In a statement, Radisson said: "A situation has arisen whereby the staff at the Radisson Blu Hotel, Bristol, were unable to be paid at the end of August due to funds not being disclosed by the bank. Radisson Blu Hotel, Bristol, is working with the hotel owners on behalf of the employees to ensure that funds are made available for payment of salaries as soon as possible. The hotel deeply regrets this situation and hopes that it will soon be resolved."

The 18-storey hotel was originally due to open last summer but building work was delayed because of flood damage after a freak storm in May 2008 and the opening date put back – first to October last year, then February and then May 15. There were two further delays and the date has been moved to August 10, and then September 15.

The hotel has 176 bedrooms, five suites, conference facilities and a large spa. It will also have its own balcony herb garden, providing fresh produce for the hotel's restaurant Filini. An additional floor has been added, making it an 18-storey hotel, the tallest in Bristol.

Rex Developments were unavailable for comment."

Embarassing for Radisson. But then, perhaps they shouldn't have agreed to an arrangement where another company took the risk on creating the building. (What were Rex getting out of it? Rent?) It's public egg on Radisson's face, they're the ones with the image problem, now the risk has proved too risky and it's all gone Pete Tong.

Oh dear Lordy, Lordy, LORDY!!! They left that Bristol & West carbunkel up? Turned it into what???

HOLA443
HOLA444

Forgot to say - I also really like this bit

"It will also have its own balcony herb garden, providing fresh produce for the hotel's restaurant Filini."

How precious can you get? Plus, would I eat food I knew had been prepared with herbs full of grunge from Bristol's traffic?*

* The answer, in case you hadn't guessed, is no.

HOLA445
Forgot to say - I also really like this bit

"It will also have its own balcony herb garden, providing fresh produce for the hotel's restaurant Filini."

How precious can you get? Plus, would I eat food I knew had been prepared with herbs full of grunge from Bristol's traffic?*

* The answer, in case you hadn't guessed, is no.

My first thoughts as well.

HOLA446
HOLA447
They've stuck glass all over the outside.

Picture at

http://i.thisis.co.uk/274156/article/image...121/1016237.jpg

Sorry, no idea how to put pictures in messages.

They photograph it like that to not show all the boarded up units at the bottom.

It's a great spot for a hotel but I can't help thinking Bristol now has so many hotels. Loads have sprung up over the last few years. I wonder if the demand is really there.

HOLA448

I'm guessing nobody will be asking for a pay rise, just to be paid and have a job. So they will take delays, reduced hours or

even lower wages without complaint until the Hotel opens or they can't afford to go to work.

Meanwhile somehow we all start buying cars and houses and borrowing money from the bank instead of saving it or paying

down debt.

Archived