House Price Crash Forum

Public Sector Workers 'paid More'

And if people think it's so easy to work in the public sector and pay and conditions are so good, why don't they go and work in it?

a. I wouldn't sink that low.

b. I couldn't handle sitting around doing nothing useful all day.

c. I wouldn't get the job, since I don't know the right handshakes, don't know the right people, and don't have a decade of 'public sector experience'.

Edited by MarkG
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

a. I wouldn't sink that low.

b. I couldn't handle sitting around doing nothing useful all day.

c. I wouldn't get the job, since I don't know the right handshakes, don't know the right people, and don't have a decade of 'public sector experience'.

Translation:

a. I wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell of getting a job in the public sector that pays anything like what I earn now.

b. I couldn't handle a a job that meant I couldn't post to internet forums all day.

c. I don't have the skills, experience or qualifications that a decade of working in the public sector would have given me.

Translation:

a. I wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell of getting a job in the public sector that pays anything like what I earn now.

b. I couldn't handle a a job that meant I couldn't post to internet forums all day.

c. I don't have the skills, experience or qualifications that a decade of working in the public sector would have given me.

:D

A major differences between the sectors is that the public sector has powerful uions working for them whilst most private sector unions have little or no influence these days.

There are also huge numbers of immigrant workers being taken on in the private sector. Not just at the unskilled bottom end but all the way through the sectors from bus drivers to IT programmers (an exception being lawyers or course). Most are prepared to work for rates above those available in their home countries but for less than would be considered normal in the UK.

Edited by 737

There are plenty of slackers in public service but there are plenty that are not.

I have a degree, am chartered, , manage over 30 staff, work unpaid overtime, have not taken a sick day in five years - and earn 22K a year.

I'm not alone in that. There are lots of people in public service that do it because they believe in it.

Righteously yours,

Starcrossed

I recall seeing some statistics a year or two back that showed that faster growth in the UK over the rest of the EU was down to Gordon Brown increasing public sector spending. Which kind of puts paid to the whole "isn't the British economy so superior to Europe's" line.

As for comparison to the French model, parts of the North of England, Scotland and Wales are closer to the Soviet model, with 60% of the economy as part of the State.

Lawyers are one of the professions that will be largely resistant to downward pressure for immigrants, as I believe that there are professional qualifications needed to practice in this country. A Polish solicitor can't just turn up in London, and set up shop.

And some did not as if they not been napping it might never had happened in the first place.

I'm shamed... not only am I lazy, sickly and overpaid I aid terrorism too with my ineptitude. I suppose it's the Registar Generals fault for coverting working class occupations up a few notches so we can mince around with the ruling class who have subjugated the hard working and honest house buyers all this time.

Here's an idea...lets disregard this piece of research on the basis that some public sector jobs do and should get more pay than private sector jobs...and that the term "public sector workers" is so massivley vague that's it's immpossible to draw any useful conclusions.

Also whilst i'm on the subject...as you'll all know...an awful lot of immigrant workers are working in the NHS..because not enough british folks want to train to become Nurses....guess why?....because they don't get paid enough.

There is also a large amount of immgrants training to become Nurses only to get the qualifications to move into an IT course.

"And some did not as if they not been napping it might never had happened in the first place."

================================

I don't think anyone was napping on 7/7, except for the

gentleman on the number 30 bus who said he was suspicious

of the person constantly fiddling about in his over-sized rucksack

but who, probably because he felt too "embarrassed" did not

challenge the "olive-skinned" individual who was presumably

trying to activate the detonator.

Now, of course, no-one will be "napping" and people will not be

afraid to robustly challenge anyone who behaves in a suspicious

manner.

We have every right to go about our business without having to

be "alert", we have every right to nap on the bus or train if we

feel like it.

Sadly, we can no longer do so, becuse of a handful of self-righteous

fanatics who are happy to murder us in cold blood, solely so that

they (so they fondly suppose) can enter Paradise.

I work for the government and I can say that, in the private sector, I would command a wage of about half what I get paid at the momment for what i actually do. Add to that my invisable earnings such as superb pension, extra holidays, training and " personal development" time, adventure training, health care, travel subsidy, rent subsidy and I count myself really lucky, long live king tony I say.

The thing is though that everbody still moans about how hard done by they are and that they could earn double in the private sector. Some even quit to pursue this vision only to come grovelling back about two months later, funny old thing.

money_for_nothing_kl.jpg

post-1700-1121438838_thumb.jpg

i worked in a london labour council it was a joke. hopefully the cold winds of reality will hit the economy and these unproductive clowns in the civil service,nhs and local government will find their true market worth in the nasty real world. :angry:

it depends on the area too!...........in outlying areas such as Cornwall government jobs are like gold dust.....as the salaries are better than most other jobs......

whereas in London (even with a £4k London weighting) they're relatively poor!

You have hit the nail on the head!

Which is why I am doing a stupid commute to the outskirts of London everyday

The Chancellor announced hundreds of thousands of job cuts in the over populated and underworked Civil Service. Indeed Gordon identified more heads for cutting than the Sensible Tories who knew these unemployable people could not be just thrown out of their safe institutions into the real world.

However it turns out it was just that, another New Labour lie, like the lies on Iraq, the Lies on Railtrack, New Labour have actually increased the headcount since making that announcement.

Where's the evidence?  What did they research?  How many jobs in each sector did they look at?  And at what levels?  Anyone can say this kind of thing, showing how you reached those conclusions is another.  And they haven't provided anything to support it at all.

The Economist said the same thing. I don't have time to search for the link but it's there (look at my posts, I posted it here some time ago).

It's entirely reasonable to think that public sector workers get paid more since they have stronger union representation, generally weaker management and an administration that's sympathic to worker's pay and rights. The private sector, on the other hand, has driven down the salaries of the working classes via short term contracts. Polly Toynbee's Hard Work: Life in Low-pay Britain makes for a very interesting read in this regard. And the government's to blame in a lot of cases as it has outsourced a lot of work that it would otherwise employ people for (e.g. hospital cleaning). I believe (though I don't have the facts) that white collar employment (middle management and above) receive lower pay in the public sector than private. Given the number of working class vs middle managers, on average, public sector pay is higher.

But the private sector are not wasting taxpayers money are they.

The ineptitude of the Civil Servants is funded by the British Taxpayer who may well like to put food into the mouths of his children before paying for overweight, arrogant and selfish layabouts to spend their days issuing orders to the people that pay them.

A real insight on the Civil Service, again the whistle Blower gets a gagging order.

LIFE STYLE EXTRA (UK) - The future of Tony Blair's top advisor on anti-social behaviour was in doubt today after she stunned senior police with a foul-mouthed rant at an official government conference.

Louise Casey, 38, the national director of the anti-social behaviour unit, was said by Home Office officials to be "at work as normal" today.

But a Home Office statement suggested Miss Casey may be disciplined for her astonishing 45-minute speech in which she turned the air blue with obscenities, defended binge drinking, bragged of getting 'hammered' and mocked ministers, saying they would work better drunk.

The Home Office spokesman said: "Louise Casey is achieving a great deal in leading the campaign to tackle anti-social behaviour.

"But like all Home office employees she is subject to the civil service code. We are looking into her reported remarks."

Miss Casey, who was appointed by the Prime Minister to restore 'respect' on Britain's streets, even threatened to 'deck' Downing Street officials during her after dinner speech at a private event staged by the Home Office and the Association of Chief Police Officers in Stratford-Upon-Avon on June 7.

One delegate at the function said the 300-strong audience was horrified by Miss Casey's remarks. They said: "Home Office officials walked out. They were outraged. There were a group of police outside saying 'This is outrageous.'"

My wife works in the public sector and she works very hard. None of you can convince me she is a waste of space. As for sickies her employer is very strict and is constantly monitoring time off. Pay rises and promotion aren’t easy that easy to acquire. She contributes for her pension out of her salary which is a lot of money And as for it not being the real world some of these people have to clean up the dregs of this society, which a great deal is created by industries in the private sector. The booze industry for one.

My wife works in the public sector and she works very hard.  None of you can convince me she is a waste of space.  As for sickies  her employer is very strict and is constantly monitoring time off.  Pay rises and promotion aren’t easy that easy to acquire.  She contributes for her pension out of her salary which is a lot of money  And as for it not being the real world some of these people have to clean up the dregs of this society, which a great deal is created by industries in the private sector.  The booze industry for one.

Absolutely.