House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest KingCharles1st

So Did You Lot Decide If Oil Is Abiotic Or Probiotic?

Guest KingCharles1st

I do have to say- that finding crushed whales 17 miles down is a little contestable nest pas?

Guest absolutezero
I do have to say- that finding crushed whales 17 miles down is a little contestable nest pas?

If it smells anything like Yakult I'd not go drinking the stuff.

Guest absolutezero
I've met some people who dabbled in the yakult in the past. It's powerful stuff.

But did they inhale?

Yes. Luckily no one has ever postulated that.

Buried marine algae (which just happen to use oil-filled vacuoles for buoyancy) and waxy leaves, on the other hand, are occasionally deposited in anoxic conditions to form rich organic shales with a high percentage of what is basically unrefined solid vegetable oil. The Kimmeridge clay which underlies much of the North Sea happens to be an example.

Heat these to between 120 and 170 degrees C and you get crude oil trending to gas at higher temperatures. You can even demonstrate this in the lab.

Some proper references, if you are *really* interested:

Pepper AS and Corvi PJ: Simple Kinetic Models of Petroleum Formation: Modelling an Open System; Marine and Petroleum Geology, 12 417-452 (1995)

Pepper AS and Corvi PJ: Simple Kinetic Models of Petroleum Formation: Oil and Gas Generation from Kerogen; Marine and Petroleum Geology, 12 291-319 (1995)

Buried marine algae (which just happen to use oil-filled vacuoles for buoyancy) and waxy leaves, on the other hand, are occasionally deposited in anoxic conditions to form rich organic shales with a high percentage of what is basically unrefined solid vegetable oil. The Kimmeridge clay which underlies much of the North Sea happens to be an example.

Heat these to between 120 and 170 degrees C and you get crude oil trending to gas at higher temperatures. You can even demonstrate this in the lab.

Pepper AS and Corvi PJ: Simple Kinetic Models of Petroleum Formation: Modelling an Open System; Marine and Petroleum Geology, 12 417-452 (1995)

Pepper AS and Corvi PJ: Simple Kinetic Models of Petroleum Formation: Oil and Gas Generation from Kerogen; Marine and Petroleum Geology, 12 291-319 (1995)

Guest absolutezero

Don't go posting proper, established science on here!

They'll not like you.

Don't go posting proper, established science on here!

They'll not like you.

:rolleyes:

It's surprisingly close to my doctorate subject..

This abiotic oil meme really is strange. Not from the denial-of-established-science thing, but the fact that it would allow the oil majors of the world to put the complete smackdown on OPEC, instead of having to beg for PSAs. When the people in charge of hiding 'the troof' would stand to profit massively from revealing 'the troof', it is REALLY hard to imagine a conspiracy.