House Price Crash Forum
tboy

No Wonder People Are Homeless

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009/au...arket-recession

"I would love to think we are past the housing crash but realistically I don't think the recovery will be strong," says Shelter's housing policy expert, Caroline Davey.

Is it just me (us?) or are most people out there completely mental wanting higher prices?? If housing were cheap, organisations like Shelter wouldn't be needed as much...but hey maybe they actually want people on the street, keeps them busy...

Guest Parry aka GOD

"I would love to think we are past the housing crash but realistically I don't think the recovery will be strong," says Shelter's housing policy expert, Caroline Davey.

Is it just me (us?) or are most people out there completely mental wanting higher prices?? If housing were cheap, organisations like Shelter wouldn't be needed as much...but hey maybe they actually want people on the street, keeps them busy...

I wrote to Shelter once slamming the b@stards for using ridiculously high average incomes to justify high house prices in the south-west. 2007, £55k!

Trite little email I got back.

I had a lot of dealings with the National Housing Federation. Thier house price predictions are just silly, basically nobody will be able to buy in their future world. You inherit or nothing.

This means there will always be a crying need for social housing. Which is the sector the NHF represents. Funny that....

Shelter or Shysters?

It does seem a strange position for a 'charity' to take when housing costs are something that can put people on the streets.

Who is the messenger? Why have they adopted a particular position? Particularly one that is likely to be not in the interest of the people they purport to help and speak for...

Edited by tinker

... and they use chuggers too.

Which, in my eyes means they are not worth giving to.

At least a beggar/big issue seller usually admits he's begging to pay for a smack habit.

Thank you for posting that gem, traderboy. I am absolutely gobsmacked. I didn't realise how absorbed into the policy consensus Shelter has become.

Gobsmacked. A charity set up to help the homeless supporting higher prices. :blink:

Thank you for posting that gem, traderboy. I am absolutely gobsmacked. I didn't realise how absorbed into the policy consensus Shelter has become.

Gobsmacked. A charity set up to help the homeless supporting higher prices. :blink:

Bump to stop it falling off page 1.

Shelter are a bunch of self-serving cu~ts.

chuggers are fantastic for a chairitee.

they chug for ever and are great.

anyone know what they are?

From the article:

"Housing affordability is getting worse, not better," said a senior government adviser. "The reason is the requirement for a deposit. The expensive thing is not the house, but saving for a deposit."

Actually the expensive thing is the house! Rather than reduce prices they provide subtle offers and inducements. It's a scam!

Shelter, and others such as political parties, are faced with a quite nasty conundrum: They cannot say that they want houseprices to fall/crash as that will lead to further misery for those who currently have mortgages particularly at the lower ends of the ladder. On the other hand if houseprices remain the same or rise further people will become homeless due to the fact that they either do not have a job or else have jobs that do not pay enough. Add into the mix that both governments have allowed the massive sell-off of social housing and you see that the country is faced with massive housing problems that will only get worse in the coming years ahead.

Shelter have seemingly been pro HPI for years now. Their stated solution for affordable homes is shared or fractional ownership of new builds, not lower prices.

So what do Shelter suggest you do if you see a homeless person in the street who wants £1 for a cup of tea? Maybe give him 50p and tell him to get half a cup?

Come on guys, catch up. Shelter are a charity that exists to represent the interests of those excluded from suitable housing. If nobody was excluded from housing, Shelter would cease to exist.

Therefore, they are a VI for unaffordable housing.

Come on guys, catch up. Shelter are a charity that exists to represent the interests of those excluded from suitable housing. If nobody was excluded from housing, Shelter would cease to exist.

So cynical :lol:

So what do Shelter suggest you do if you see a homeless person in the street who wants £1 for a cup of tea? Maybe give him 50p and tell him to get half a cup?

No, you buy him a cup of tea and then you find out what he really wanted the money for

tim

I saw some property ramping by Shelter on the BBC news and mentioned it on here:

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...p;#entry2078108

I emailed them suggesting ramping house prices was not a good idea for them. This is their reply:

"Thanks for your comments and it is concerning that our intentions were not clear from the broadcast. Shelter was trying to warn of the potential dangers of rising house prices, in this case with regard to repossessions. We are extremely concerned about housing affordability and any boom/bust cycles seen in the housing market. In fact our publication, Breaking Point http://england.shelter.org.uk/professional...us_to_the_limit raised the devastating impact of rising housing costs on millions of people, and we continue to campaign on this issue. We will take extra endeavours to ensure our public speaking on this critical topic cannot be misinterpreted, and thanks for bringing it to our attention."

Edited by Redhat Sly

Shelter = piece of ****. They're an advice line, at best. Truth is, unless you're a pregnant woman or have kids in tow, nobody is going to be in a rush to help house you. They'll even accuse you of being intentionally homeless before you've had a chance to explain anything.

Oh, and if you do happen to be eligible for one these hostel-type schemes, then expect to be asked 100 mandatory questions... including ones about your sex life. :rolleyes: then expect a wait of at least 6-12 months. Very useful for someone on the street isn't it :ph34r:

<snip>

I emailed them suggesting ramping house prices was not a good idea for them. This is their reply: "Thanks for your comments and it is concerning that our intentions were not clear from the broadcast. Shelter was trying to warn of the potential dangers of rising house prices, in this case with regard to repossessions. We are extremely concerned about housing affordability and any boom/bust cycles seen in the housing market. In fact our publication, Breaking Point http://england.shelter.org.uk/professional...us_to_the_limit raised the devastating impact of rising housing costs on millions of people, and we continue to campaign on this issue. We will take extra endeavours to ensure our public speaking on this critical topic cannot be misinterpreted, and thanks for bringing it to our attention."

Let's all e-mail them again...

Cynical but true. Still, if you think that's bad, you should see what the donkey charities have been up to in recent years... let's just say that if you were in the donkey breeding business, they were your favourite customers...

Are shelter another one of those government funded mouthpiece charity organisations?

My Son works for them I think they are around 25% funded by the Government 60% from donations which includes the lottery and the rest mostly comes from its shops