House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bobajobbob

Strange Swings In A House Price On Land Reg, Any Idea?

Hi just looking for some insight into why a house I am looking at has been sold at wildly different prices over the past couple of years according to the Land Reg site. I suspect it was some kind of tax avoidance whereby the owner sold it to his company or vice versa but would be interested in any other ideas.

The house is also not being marketed on the internet, not on agent website or rightmove etc. According to the agent because the seller doesn't want to alert his tenant. Again seems strange.

Anyway here are the prices on Land reg

Now on market for £675,000

26/10/07 £405,000

27/10/06 £600,000

12/09/02 £445,000

21/07/00 £402,500

Any ideas?

The house is also not being marketed on the internet, not on agent website or rightmove etc. According to the agent because the seller doesn't want to alert his tenant. Again seems strange.

26/10/07 £405,000

27/10/06 £600,000

12/09/02 £445,000

21/07/00 £402,500

Well fortunately those numbers aren't for my house, so my tenancy seems secure enough.

As to your question, I think your guesses are as good as mine. I've seen plenty of errors/typos in LR data too, so maybe that is part of it?

Write to the Land Registry and ask for details under the freedom of information act or telephone the office that deals with that property and ask them to double check that the figures are correct.

Should take 48 hours to get the files together if they are held in a regional file store. Some files may even be held on site at the office.

If you double the 2007 figure you get £810k which is probably not far off what the greedy buggers would have expected at the time. Now say the couple divorced and one party bought the other party out would Land Registry then show a purchase for half the amount?

Hi just looking for some insight into why a house I am looking at has been sold at wildly different prices over the past couple of years according to the Land Reg site. I suspect it was some kind of tax avoidance whereby the owner sold it to his company or vice versa but would be interested in any other ideas.

26/10/07 £405,000

27/10/06 £600,000

12/09/02 £445,000

21/07/00 £402,500

Any ideas?

Where are you getting the price history from ?

Reason I ask is that I've seen before on houseprices.co.uk a terraced No.5 and flat no.5 with the same registered address .

check at :

http://www1.landregistry.gov.uk/propertypr...t_error_rep.asp

by putting in the details for the 06 and 07 sale to make sure the address is the same at the Land Registry .

If that makes any sense .