House Price Crash Forum
MOP

Oecd: Uk Economy Will Contract By 1.0% In Q3

They will be utterly crapping themselves if the Germans, French etc cut stimulus because (i) Britain will lose some of the export boost that their spending provides, and (ii) they will lose the fig leaf that everyone's doing it and we're all in the sh1t together.

If we stay in decline while others are out of it - no matter what we long term bears think of the robustness of their recovery - this could be utterly catastrophic for Crash Gordon and Cap'n Darling. Even the Beeb will round on them if that happens.

Time for Germany and France to get their revenge. They are both coming out of recession because they never indulged in the subprime toxic debt fiasco and only got hit by the fallout

from USA and UK. They dont need the stimulus like USA and the UK do. They will happily cut us adrift to face the consequences of anglo american capitalism.

I remember a few years ago Gordon preaching to the likes of germany and france that they should be more like the UK :lol:

Time for Germany and France to get their revenge. They are both coming out of recession because they never indulged in the subprime toxic debt fiasco and only got hit by the fallout

from USA and UK. They dont need the stimulus like USA and the UK do. They will happily cut us adrift to face the consequences of anglo american corporatism.

I remember a few years ago Gordon preaching to the likes of germany and france that they should be more like the UK :lol:

Fudge; let this day be enshrined in HPC legend. You and I will agree 100% if you'll accept my alteration to your post! :)

Darling quote -

That should read "the road to nowhere".

Or the 'road to ruin'.

Chock full of massive pot-holes which explains why this administration keep swerving wildly all over the place with one failed initiative after another. No admission that THEY took us down this route in the 1st place.

Because we haven't increased debt by a big enough amount.

No wonder we had Darling bleating on about the G20 need to uphold the 1tr bailout package, without it the UK appears to be screwed.

Gordon Brown the man who saved the world but destroyed the UK.

:lol::lol::lol: if it wasn`t so catastrophic for us all it is genuinely funny, farce of the highest order, pure blackadder/monty python British ironic f*cked up humor. OMG what a mess! I can`t work out if Broon is a pure comedy figure or the darkest of the Shakespearean dark?

Fudge; let this day be enshrined in HPC legend. You and I will agree 100% if you'll accept my alteration to your post! :)

Sorry. It is the neo liberal strain of capitalism thats the cause of the USA and UK's problems.

Proving that the social model of France and Germany is more resiliant.

And what about countries like Denmark, faring even better.

:lol::lol::lol: if it wasn`t so catastrophic for us all it is genuinely funny, farce of the highest order, pure blackadder/monty python British ironic f*cked up humor. OMG what a mess! I can`t work out if Broon is a pure comedy figure or the darkest of the Shakespearean dark?

Yes it's is a classic British farce, we just need the carry on team to do the film.

Not quite sure who I'd have playing the prat Brown.

:lol::lol::lol:

Even the beeb are having a go.

Nokias will be flying in No. 10 tonight!

yes the beeb are at last having a reality crisis as the machines now only vend decaff

Edited by loginandtonic

Are we still "best placed for recovery"?

When we are the only economy still contracting, we will by definition be best placed to start a recovery.

:blink:

All this green shoots, whether here or Germany or wherever, is all on th eback of massive spending and borrowing (and printing)

To me it doesn't really count as proper growth!

They will be utterly crapping themselves if the Germans, French etc cut stimulus because (i) Britain will lose some of the export boost that their spending provides, and (ii) they will lose the fig leaf that everyone's doing it and we're all in the sh1t together.

If we stay in decline while others are out of it - no matter what we long term bears think of the robustness of their recovery - this could be utterly catastrophic for Crash Gordon and Cap'n Darling. Even the Beeb will round on them if that happens.

The French and Germans have been trying to destroy Great Britain for over 200 years

Why would they stop now?

This is their chance to put the 'boot in' (jackboot) so they probably won't be able to resist.

I suppose the irony is that Nu Labour are their best friends in Europe and if they do anything that helps the Conseravtives win the next election, they will probably regret it later.

:blink:

Sorry. It is the neo liberal strain of capitalism thats the cause of the USA and UK's problems.

Proving that the social model of France and Germany is more resiliant.

And what about countries like Denmark, faring even better.

The amusing thing is that Darling and Brown are probably right.

The EU is in the Sh*te even worse than we are, but they have been better at hiding the truth (up till now), probably due to upcoming elections in Germany.

At some point in the near future the wheels are going to come off the Eurozone IMO, but if this does not happen until after the election here, the illusion of recovery in Europe will be another nail in Nu Labours coffin.

Freetrader

it is a worse not better number, according to BBC (surprisingly enough fairly straight in with this) http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/business/8235763.stm

Yeah, but that's the annual forecast and the OP is about Q3.

The lowering of OECD's 2009 UK GDP forecast from -4.3% to -4.7% is as a result of a hefty downward revision to Q1 2009.

Basically the OECD is saying the recession has been deeper than anticipated, but we're coming out of it faster than expected.

I don't think we need the OECD to undermine the credibility of Darling's GDP forecast in the budget. The ONS H1 numbers have already done that.

The amusing thing is that Darling and Brown are probably right.

The EU is in the Sh*te even worse than we are, but they have been better at hiding the truth (up till now), probably due to upcoming elections in Germany.

At some point in the near future the wheels are going to come off the Eurozone IMO, but if this does not happen until after the election here, the illusion of recovery in Europe will be another nail in Nu Labours coffin.

Not a chance.

Personal & corporate debt is the key here. Personal debt will play a much bigger part than people think.