House Price Crash Forum
DownsizingDiva

Things Are Definitely Slowing Down

Has anyone else noticed the lack of new properties coming onto the market in the last 2/3 weeks or the very few new "SSTC" banners being slapped onto properties on RM? Seems like the increased activity in these parts (Southampton) has now ground to a halt. Would be interested to hear if things are the same in other places.

Things are like that my way too. Hardly any new houses up for sale and less houses being sold too.

Most of the activity ocurred between March & May.

Has anyone else noticed the lack of new properties coming onto the market in the last 2/3 weeks or the very few new "SSTC" banners being slapped onto properties on RM? Seems like the increased activity in these parts (Southampton) has now ground to a halt. Would be interested to hear if things are the same in other places.

I look at the S041 post code everyday which is west of Southampton, not a lot of new houses coming on, but certainly far more than are going SSTC. The spring bounce is long gone and IMHO we will see drops of 20% over the next two years. I was coming back to blighty, but I have decided not to buy in the UK as property is still madly over priced and will be buying abroad.

I look at the S041 post code everyday which is west of Southampton, not a lot of new houses coming on, but certainly far more than are going SSTC. The spring bounce is long gone and IMHO we will see drops of 20% over the next two years. I was coming back to blighty, but I have decided not to buy in the UK as property is still madly over priced and will be buying abroad.

Not your neck of the woods I know but I have been keeping track of properties for sale/rent in the Blackburn Lancs area using a simple tabulation taken off Rightmove.

General availability has drifted up despite "buoyant" summer period.

Certainly "oop north" plenty of property for sale, despite fallacious VI claims about property shortages driving prices.

IMHO, there is only a shortage of "affordable property".

properties_for_sale.rent_09.08.09.pdf

properties_for_sale.rent_09.08.09.pdf

Things seem busier here...

Certainly there appear to be more properties coming on to the market - especially in the £290k - £400k range (older style more established properties with gardens, in nicer parts of the city). I thought that the wonderous news in the media (property prices going up etc) has been an encouragement to people who have maybe been holding out till things improved before putting their property on the market.

There appear to be more properties going to sold on RM too - although that said, there are about an equal number with sales that have fallen through and are back on again...

I keep a check on Northamptonshire on rightmove, NN1 + 10 miles.

Ive been seeing a bucket load of houses come on the market in the last month. About 100 or so every couple of days.

Lots of what look like repos and stuff that had previously "sold".

I think a 20% decline is very unlikely. That would mean a 40% drop in a short time. I think perhaps another 8-12% at best, but probably another 5% south.

Anything more is very optimistic.

Is everyone on here looking to buy homes or investments?

Not much new stuff where I am.

Mostly yes.

There's the odd one or two sad cases who are settled in their gaffs but still avidly following what's goin' on.

I think a 20% decline is very unlikely. That would mean a 40% drop in a short time. I think perhaps another 8-12% at best, but probably another 5% south.

Jonathan Davis (the architect of this website) is predicting a further 20-30% fall over the next 5 years (extra over the circa 20% fall to date).

Moneybox, 22 and a bit minutes in:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00m8...sion_Episode_3/

Jonathan Davis (the architect of this website) is predicting a further 20-30% fall over the next 5 years (extra over the circa 20% fall to date).

Moneybox, 22 and a bit minutes in:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00m8...sion_Episode_3/

I think Jonathan Davis would be quick to correct you - he's not the architect of this website, but a long standing contributor/poster, and in recent years he's been something of a spokesperson for HPC, although I don't know if he pushes that association quite so much any more - he's an expert in his own right - and one of the few that can provide a counter argument to many of the EAs and mortgage chaps that go on these programmes.

I think Jonathan Davis would be quick to correct you - he's not the architect of this website, but a long standing contributor/poster, and in recent years he's been something of a spokesperson for HPC, although I don't know if he pushes that association quite so much any more - he's an expert in his own right - and one of the few that can provide a counter argument to many of the EAs and mortgage chaps that go on these programmes.

Sir, I stand corrected!

Anything more is very optimistic.

Another 2-8% further over the next 5 years in nominal terms at best IMO. The bottom has been found, and it will not crash again unless there is another financial meltdown.

Double digit falls over the short term are just silly, and its about time those that believe big falls are still going to occur wake up. The property market is just too bullish, and sentiment goes a long way when the masses are involved.

Edited by manbearpig

In Wellington, Somerset I've been regularly searching on rightmove to see where things are heading. The number of houses for sale dropped to a low point around a month ago and have since been gradually increasing, now around 20% higher.

Have also seen a number of SSTCs coming back on recently.

On top of that a huge new development is just being completed which will increase supply further.

The only places that do seem to be selling are either reasonably (relatively) priced or bungalows (which seem ridiculously overpriced) and still seeing prices being reduced.

Certainly no worries here about missing the boat :lol:

Strange thread, I only have to look at the date some members joined to determine what slant their post will take!

<_<

Edited by Bootsox

One of the few that can provide a counter to the EAs and other VIs? I think he does have a problem that he rants a bit - i posted a rant he made on the stephen nolan show on the news blog last week.

However that actually is good news - the more the peeps think he is a bit of a loon the better imo. Not taking someone seriously that says big falls are a coming is fine and dandy until they do start to come after this dcb. When that happens the peeps panic and head for the exits and remember what Jd said!!

Double digit falls over the short term are just silly, and its about time those that believe big falls are still going to occur wake up. The property market is just too bullish, and sentiment goes a long way when the masses are involved.

.........that is what people were saying at the end of 2007, just before the double digit falls.....

And there WILL be further financial shocks, defaults on unsecured lending, defaults on secured lending, rising unemployment etc will all have a financial impact that, as of yet, we have not felt.