House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ScaredEitherWay

Tourism Trade Braced For Scores Of Bankruptcies Over The Winter

Across the West Country, scores of bankruptcies are predicted because it's been a bad summer and they haven't built up enough reserves to last through the winter until next year's season starts.

I'll try to get a link.

It was just on the local telly news

I couldn't find a link, on a really dodgy connection that keeps dropping me off the internet when I try to google.

It was on the BBC Spotlight programme though ...

Businesses in tourism don't have enough reserves to get them through the winter months; the summer's been a bad one and they didn't make as much as they needed to survive the winter. Lots of bankruptcies expected.... and some advice firm in Devon said they had scores of businesses in trouble

It's possible to get the programme on streaming video, but I don't have limited bandwidth so can't load/watch that to find it ,.. but it's out there.

Across the West Country, scores of bankruptcies are predicted because it's been a bad summer and they haven't built up enough reserves to last through the winter until next year's season starts.

I'll try to get a link.

I've heard a few items on the radio too ... basically a good season for some but because of the rubbish weather across much of the country and the general unwillingness to spend (even on stay in the UK holidays) it hasn't really added up to the bumper payday they were hoping for.

Also, quite a few people grumbling that holidaying in the UK didn't save them quite as much money as they thought it would (vs a typical foreign holiday).

I couldn't find a link, on a really dodgy connection that keeps dropping me off the internet when I try to google.

It was on the BBC Spotlight programme though ...

Businesses in tourism don't have enough reserves to get them through the winter months; the summer's been a bad one and they didn't make as much as they needed to survive the winter. Lots of bankruptcies expected.... and some advice firm in Devon said they had scores of businesses in trouble

It's possible to get the programme on streaming video, but I don't have limited bandwidth so can't load/watch that to find it ,.. but it's out there.

As I work in tourism and in Devon I would be interested to see this.

I think across the UK in the first part of the Summer, visitor numbers were up 15% yet takings were up 4%. I work in the tourist industry and the second part of the Summer has been BAD.

Firstly, you had the Met Office BBQ Summer forecasts that encouraged staycationers to stay in Blighty. Only trouble is, the weather (in Wales and the West generally) has been atrocious. I looked at a large campsite on Bank Holiday Monday. There was a tent stuck in a thorn hedge (blown in by a gale) and the site was 2/3 empty. Including the fixed site caravans. Total disaster for an August Bank Holiday.

Secondly, the media seemed to be on a mission to encourage stayactioning this year. And exagerrated the pluses of stay at home holidays. Needless to say, many sheeple believed their nonsense and are now regretting it.

Thirdly, staycationers have been gouged by profiteers and the general over-pricing in popular tourist areas - a few I know have actually admitted to spending much more than they ever would've abroad.

So thanks to the met office, the media and the attitude of many in the tourist trade, I doubt any of these people will be holidaying at home for a very very long time.

PS. I've just returned from a large Welsh hotel I work for - had to advise them to start a new visitor book ;) . Lots of very disappointed staycationers - not really upset with the hotel - more upset with the whole experience.

Edited by gruffydd

I thought Staycation fever had saved UK tourism?

Yes they all stayed in their caravans playing card games all fortnight instead of going out eating/drinking/spending cash in the local pubs & restaurants.

I think across the UK in the first part of the Summer, visitor numbers were up 15% yet takings were up 4%. I work in the tourist industry and the second part of the Summer has been BAD.

Figures out today in France tourism ( French stay in France holidays) up by 1%

Foreign visitors are down by 15% i haven't noticed many English cars on the roads here this summer so i think that the uk tourist industry should of had a good summer despite the bad weather

Firstly, you had the Met Office BBQ Summer forecasts that encouraged staycationers to stay in Blighty. Only trouble is, the weather (in Wales and the West generally) has been atrocious. I looked at a large campsite on Bank Holiday Monday. There was a tent stuck in a thorn hedge (blown in by a gale) and the site was 2/3 empty. Including the fixed site caravans. Total disaster for an August Bank Holiday.

Secondly, the media seemed to be on a mission to encourage stayactioning this year. And exagerrated the pluses of stay at home holidays. Needless to say, many sheeple believed their nonsense and are now regretting it.

Thirdly, staycationers have been gouged by profiteers and the general over-pricing in popular tourist areas - a few I know have actually admitted to spending much more than they ever would've abroad.

So thanks to the met office, the media and the attitude of many in the tourist trade, I doubt any of these people will be holidaying at home for a very very long time.

PS. I've just returned from a large Welsh hotel I work for - had to advise them to start a new visitor book ;) . Lots of very disappointed staycationers - not really upset with the hotel - more upset with the whole experience.

Good post. Mrs.1080 plus the littleun and I decided to stay in the UK... on the cheap for a long weekend, well not really, 2 nights in a hotel in Dorset plus meals ,plus petrol £550. The hotel and meals were all very nice but the UK is really bloody expensive ! It would have been cheaper to go to Paris.

Had these two gems from The Argus - Britain's Silliest Local Ragâ„¢ :

Brighton and Hove businesses fear they could go bust by Christmas

7:00am Monday 31st August 2009

Traders fear they could struggle to survive the next few months after a nightmare bank holiday weekend.

Some businesses in Brighton and Hove reported takings were down as much as 50% compared to the same weekend last year.

They blamed the bad weather and the credit crunch for keeping customers away over the last two days.

Followed by:

Bank holiday trade helps turn around Brighton traders' weekend

4:12pm Tuesday 1st September 2009

A busy bank holiday Monday has helped to turn around the fortunes of some traders.

It would have been cheaper to go to Paris.

I doubt it but we have had and it still is hot here in France over three months of hot sunshine nearly everyday with average temparatures over 30c and it is going to be hot this weekend

Anyway you can get sick to death with hot weather bring on winter then its time to go skiing

Yes they all stayed in their caravans playing card games all fortnight instead of going out eating/drinking/spending cash in the local pubs & restaurants.

Received wisdom is that sort of weather is good for retailers in the right sectors as parents buy kids things to keep them quiet - be interesting to see.

No surprise there, I f*ck off for a month in June or July to Italy and/or the South of France every year and all in (inc flights or ferry) it costs us less to do that staying in decent (3*+ hotels) than going somewhere like the lakes or Devon and staying in a B&B. It's not just the cost of accommodation in the UK, it's the cost of everything else - food, tourist attractions, beer/wine, public transport, etc.

Yeah right.

More like because the Proprietors have been spunking any liquid cash on subsidising their BTL investments.

An economy reliant on Housing is a healthy economy, afterall.

More than two of my suppliers have gone bust not because there was anything particularly wrong with their core business but because the owner's pwoperty sideline has gone t1ts up (both resi and commercial pwoperty - 'its me pension'....not anymore).

A lot of them turned pwoperty developer with spare land they suddenly had after they'd shipped their production off to China and demolished the factory. Probably a bit of the Henry Ford law in their TBH.

Edited by Soon Not a Chain Retailer

I'll try to get a link.

You should always build up enough reserves to last through the winter. Bloody amateurs.

Regarding campsites: it really depends on how good the location is. I was at a soggy wet campsite for the BH weekend and a few days before, but in a good location (the Lakes!). Each night the campsite was full (>200 tents).

And blame the media for not understanding probability, not the Met Office.

I guess a lot of them haven't realised that ripping off your fellow Brits isn't a good recipe for repeat business.

Everyone I know who've travelled within the UK haven't had many nice things to say about it (criticisms were primarily weather and price, mind)

Agreed that it's nice to travel the UK for cheap, but when you pay the same for a UK trip vs a foreign one, why not get the latter?

Regarding campsites: it really depends on how good the location is. I was at a soggy wet campsite for the BH weekend and a few days before, but in a good location (the Lakes!). Each night the campsite was full (>200 tents).

And blame the media for not understanding probability, not the Met Office.

Must've been fun... Campsite I'm referring to is one of the most popular in my county - just not when it's hit by storms!

As a seasoned PR, I do blame the Met Office - I simply couldn't believe what their PR guys were doing at the time!

Edited by gruffydd

I guess a lot of them haven't realised that ripping off your fellow Brits isn't a good recipe for repeat business.

Everyone I know who've travelled within the UK haven't had many nice things to say about it (criticisms were primarily weather and price, mind)

Agreed that it's nice to travel the UK for cheap, but when you pay the same for a UK trip vs a foreign one, why not get the latter?

They sure haven't!