House Price Crash Forum

So Where Are All The High Paying Jobs

Goat

HOLA441

That's cool! I think along the same lines... I like the things I design - though if I go into apps it'll mainly be using the designs in front of customers rather than doing the design itself! (Which could be a better route into management. Undecided as I don't mind doing design work!)

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
Ah, I think I remember you saying how you didn't like working at Rolls - rubbish pay? I applied there two years ago and was quite impressed but they seemed more impressed with the Oxford grads, so turned them down!

So you prefer IT? The money will certainly be preferable, I'm guessing!

When I saw what I would be making after 30 years of service, it almost crushed me! I got in there with a 2:2 - they may have changed their recruitment policy

"So you prefer IT? The money will certainly be preferable, I'm guessing!"

I do a lot of stuff in the banks, so there is always a challenge. I certainly wouldn't go back.

HOLA443
I realised that the most important thing for me was my scientific research. I want my life to be meaningful after I am gone. It's probably just some biological instinct gone awry. So I am trying to establish a career in academia in the meantime, with a long term view of getting my own research to pay for itself so I can do more research. Unfortunately in today's society this means that I need to become an economic parasite.

I still feel that it's worthwhile helping to develop the field of science. I'm quite happy for the UK to crash and burn though.

Do you have children?

HOLA444
I realised that the most important thing for me was my scientific research. I want my life to be meaningful after I am gone. It's probably just some biological instinct gone awry. So I am trying to establish a career in academia in the meantime, with a long term view of getting my own research to pay for itself so I can do more research. Unfortunately in today's society this means that I need to become an economic parasite.

I still feel that it's worthwhile helping to develop the field of science. I'm quite happy for the UK to crash and burn though.

If you want to make decent money in science and you have any talent, its perfectly possible to do so overseas, so I've been told

HOLA445
When I saw what I would be making after 30 years of service, it almost crushed me! I got in there with a 2:2 - they may have changed their recruitment policy

I think starting salary is around £27k - after 30 years on controls, for example, maybe you'd get to £40-50k? Are those the sort of figures you're talking?

I got a 1st in electronics from Edinburgh, thought I'd be doing a bit better now, but then I look at how many more people seem to be on far less money and do feel quite fortunate. I have no concrete plan - I'll probably work my way around electronics and try to rise in the ranks a bit. TBH I don't expect to get more than ~£40-50k myself (if I stay in the UK and electronics doesn't tank!).

EDIT - when I was applying for courses engineering was the only choice for me - interesting and I thought it was a highly respectable wage, in a job mostly in demand because nobody else wants to do it! At the time I never would have believed that there were people out there getting £100k+ doing jobs like IT. I'm still fairly glad with my decision, life is ok.

Edited by thomasross20

HOLA446
I think starting salary is around £27k - after 30 years on controls, for example, maybe you'd get to £40-50k? Are those the sort of figures you're talking?

I got a 1st in electronics from Edinburgh, thought I'd be doing a bit better now, but then I look at how many more people seem to be on far less money and do feel quite fortunate. I have no concrete plan - I'll probably work my way around electronics and try to rise in the ranks a bit. TBH I don't expect to get more than ~£40-50k myself (if I stay in the UK and electronics doesn't tank!).

I think when I was there a reasonably senior person (he was very good) was on 35k. There is no way I was going to work my ass off for 15 years to get that.

HOLA447

Been a Hardware/Silicon Engineer for 15 years, and my salary and that of all of my peers is around £35k-£55k. You may get an extra £5k-£10k if you work along the M4 corridor.

There is no money in Engineering, but if that is where your experience is, that is what you do.

If I find myself out on my ear, at least I know I have the acumen to do a lot of other jobs. The hope is to be given the chance.

Edited by waynezilla

HOLA448
I'm really Noel - I changed my name to Charlatan when I sensed a lot of wild predictions of market prediction cropping up but have to wait 30 days until I can change back again. I did work for Rolls many years back, taught myself VB5 and now an an IT gimp.

May I suggest your avatar for the next month? :P

char_emily.jpg

I thought it was you when you mentioned "nosh" in one of your posts.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

EDIT - when I was applying for courses engineering was the only choice for me - interesting and I thought it was a highly respectable wage, in a job mostly in demand because nobody else wants to do it! At the time I never would have believed that there were people out there getting £100k+ doing jobs like IT. I'm still fairly glad with my decision, life is ok.

hey Thomas, you are in the same line of career as me, semiconductor design but I am more on the digital side than analogue.

A few months ago, my start-up company folded (you probably know which company it was as we were Edinburgh based as well). Even though we had potential customers lined up ready for pre-production prototypes and design ready to be taped out, we could not get the VCs to commit to the round A before our funding ran out.

Unfortunately / fortunately it sounds like you have the knack and there is no escape from engineering :)

Dilbert - The Knack

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Charlotte - that does suck...... I thought Rolls would have paid more? I know one guy who does manual work for them in Glasgow getting much more than that. Glad I didn't move down to Derby to do that job then!

Been a Hardware/Silicon Engineer for 15 years, and my salary and that of all of my peers is around £35k-£55k. You may get an extra £5k-£10k if you work along the M4 corridor.

There is no money in Engineering, but if that is where your experience is, that is what you do.

If I find myself out on my ear, at least I know I have the acumen to do a lot of other jobs. The hope is to be given the chance.

Cool, do you enjoy it, still? Must admit I'd be reasonably happy on £35-55k, that's not too bad. Have you thought about doing the job in the US?

Even during this recession there are a bunch of chances for engineers - this is one comfort, the fact that there will always be the chance of a job, I reckon.

Out of interest... what do you do? :D I'm in analogue design right now, designing ADCs for powerline modems. I'm deciding whether or not to go into apps. Could be interesting, but then if I lose that job it must be harder to gain employment again than if you were a designer...?

I remember at uni, the lecturer showing us a slide of how analogue designers are in demand, and that they could bag a potential £50-60k. I was very impressed at the time!!

HOLA4414
Guest DisposableHeroes
I'm on £260,000 a year.

Just made the figure up, because I felt like it and was bored. Could other people be doing the same?

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
hey Thomas, you are in the same line of career as me, semiconductor design but I am more on the digital side than analogue.

A few months ago, my start-up company folded (you probably know which company it was as we were Edinburgh based as well). Even though we had potential customers lined up ready for pre-production prototypes and design ready to be taped out, we could not get the VCs to commit to the round A before our funding ran out.

Unfortunately / fortunately it sounds like you have the knack and there is no escape from engineering :)

Dilbert - The Knack

Hmm, I've heard of one or two that have folded but honestly couldn't put a name to any right now.......

Do YOU enjoy the work, and are you now finding it tough to find other work? Bugger about not getting funding :( I'll be moving (hopefully!) from this startup to a much bigger design company in Edinburgh.

So do you do a lot of verilog, synthesis, place & route etc? I must admit I've never done hardcore digital design!!

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
Charlotte - that does suck...... I thought Rolls would have paid more? I know one guy who does manual work for them in Glasgow getting much more than that. Glad I didn't move down to Derby to do that job then!

Rolls Royce sound like they pay a lot more than BAE. Not that I have ever worked for them but I have been to job interviews there and although I've been interested in the work, the wage compared to the local living costs means that it's not worth it or even possible if you have to move and don't have the savings to begin with. They basically pay the same as a university.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
Hmm, I've heard of one or two that have folded but honestly couldn't put a name to any right now.......

Do YOU enjoy the work, and are you now finding it tough to find other work? Bugger about not getting funding :( I'll be moving (hopefully!) from this startup to a much bigger design company in Edinburgh.

So do you do a lot of verilog, synthesis, place & route etc? I must admit I've never done hardcore digital design!!

Really enjoy the work, creating something from nothing, thinking of new ideas/concepts which have never been thought of by another single person in the world. You can't get better job satisfaction than that.

Design from initial back of an envelope to vhdl implementation, simulation, synthesis, not much experience of place & route. As well as the embedded firmware, tool development, high level models of the system etc

As you know, not many opportunities in Edinburgh at the moment. Restricted on being able to relocate until partner finishes her course in nine months time.

HOLA4424
Guest DisposableHeroes
Have you considered breasts?

I've had a good look at you thread thanks (in the dangerous off topic zone)

Edited by DisposableHeroes

HOLA4425
Guest absolutezero

£33,411 plus another £1003 for doing an extra lesson after school once a week, so £34,414 in total.

I'm the highest earner out of the people I associate with who are not teachers, so where are all these high earners?