House Price Crash Forum

Hsbc Offers 1.99% Mortgage

Mammon

HOLA441
HSBC has launched a 1.99% mortgage on a two-year discount rate - available to customers with a deposit of 40%.

Other mortgages within its new range include a two-year discount mortgage for customers with at least a 25% deposit at an interest rate of 2.49%.

Both discount mortgages have arrangement fees of £1,199 and are discounted from HSBC standard variable rate - currently 3.94%.

It also has a three-year discount rate at 3.89% and a 90% LTV, available for purchasers only.

As well as a three-year fixed rate mortgage, at 4.19% with a fee of £999 and a maximum LTV of 60%.

Martijn van der Heijden, head of mortgages at HSBC says: “Across the market lenders’ standard variable rates are at an all time low, as a result we are launching our lowest ever mortgage rate – 1.99% - to appeal to remortgaging homeowners. We have also made our higher loan to value mortgages even better value to support the increasing number of home purchasers either move, or step on the housing ladder for the first time.â€

HSBC has pledged to double its 2007 level of mortgage lending this year and has made £15bn available to customers. It was the largest net mortgage lender in the UK in the first half of 2009, with £4.2bn in new lending.

http://www.mortgagestrategy.co.uk/cgi-bin/...h=401&f=402

Some good deals i think ;)

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

I wonder what the figure actually is if you factor in the 'arrangement fee', including the loss of interest on that money if it had been sitting in a typical cash ISA for the two years.

When all's said and done I'd guess that it only works out at about half a percent below a typical deal on an average-sized mortgage.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Hang on a f*cking minute.

DISCOUNTED rate?

Base rate is 0.5%.

Current rate for them is 3.94%, this is now discounted to 1.99%.

So their bank base rate is 3.54% above the BOE rate, and this is considered a good offer????

BOE rate only needs to go back to 3/4% before this looks like a decidedly sh!tty deal.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

DISCOUNTED rate?

Base rate is 0.5%.

So their bank base rate is 3.54% above the BOE rate, and this is considered a good offer????

BOE rate only needs to go back to 3/4% before this looks like a decidedly sh!tty deal.

Maybe you simply meant that the BoE as such only needs to go :lol: ?

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Reformatted for proper reading:

HSBC has launched a 1.99% mortgage on a two-year discount rate - available to customers with a deposit of 40%.

Just saving for 10% deposit (of current average house price) is a big challenge, how many years will it take for an average person to save this 40%?

Edited by ReadingRabbit

HOLA4417
Another no risk to the lender deal :lol:

This is the key point IMO.

The interest rate is a loss leader; what these lenders really want is the leverage and security inherent in large deposits.

Now why would HSBC (and indeed many a BSoc) be so keen on borrowers with lowest LTV, I wonder?

Yet many will still portray this as a bullish signal.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

DISCOUNTED rate?

Base rate is 0.5%.

Quite and this is what happens in a market where the competition gets erradicated (which it has been)..... the remaining banks , many state owned , are simply loading up the margin to pay off their bad debts, safe in the knowledge that the good old UK taxpayer has nowhere else to go... so unless you missed it... you end up paying for the debts the govt took on through tax and then paying again to further prop up the banks through an obscene margin on their products.

Whilst those with no debt clearly avoid this, for the majority of people they'll be paying for this debalcle twice... amusingly though.. the ones most badly affected by this (which has a lot of its roots in labours financial mismanagement) will happily trot down to the voting pool and vote labour again.

HOLA4420
Reformatted for proper reading:

Just saving for 10% deposit (of current average house price) is a big challenge, how many years will it take for an average person to save this 40%?

This deal isn't suitable for the vast majority of FTBs though. The OP mentions the fact that HSBC are now offering 3.89% for 90% LTV mortgages, which would be ok for a two year fix, and excellent for a five year. Only problem is that its a tracker just like the 40% LTV mortgage.

I don't know what anyone else thinks, but if you ask me it would be insanity for anyone to take a tracker now unless they can easily afford an extra 4% to go onto the BoE base rate.

HOLA4421
I bet those on here who actually have >40% deposits find it equally amusing.

But in a good way.

Well quite!!

First I was considering withdrawing it all in fivers and burning it, - but I got a bit guilty about the pollution and all that, so I contemplated composting it for a little while, but now I HAVE A THIRD WAY !!!!

Thanks to the wonders of bubblenomics, now I can buy a ridiculously overpriced yet essential asset and watch my "hard saved " dissapear as its price drops like a graffe turd!!!

All in a "good way" !

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425