House Price Crash Forum
MOP

Sky Invites Cameron, Brown And Clegg To Live Tv Debate - Cameron And Clegg Have Accepted

AAaaaaah - Kennedy Vs Nixon

Am I the only one that thinks he looks more like nixon with every passing day?

Given the horrors of his administration, Nixon remained vaguely presentable ...quite unlike GordoBroon who, to be fair, was pigworrying ugly prior to grasping the role of PM...and has deteriorated significantly since.

Its a stupid idea. The correct place for this is Parliament. That used to be something the Tories claimed they stood for, but now they've got a hard-on for pretending to be the cast of the West Wing as well. Oooh who gets to be Toby and Josh feeding Dave some zingers before he goes out before the bright lights? And generating free income for Rupert Murdoch while they are on our paid time. <_<

It happens in the US because you have people contesting elections who may have never debated publicly and given their system of government, never will. If you've got say a Governor and a Senator, its quite possible without the televised debate they'd never even be in the same state at the same time the entire campaign. It also helps that they have a two-party system, I'm not crazy about where this leaves the Lib Dems either.

Sorry to be miserable about it, I'm sure it would be fun but I'd rather these people tried to be half-decent British politicians rather than phony American ones. In the dim and distant past there were men and women of character to admire and emulate (if it is a lack of stirring role models that is causing the problem) without having to go around pretending to be Jed Bartlet or Matt Santos. Or they could even do what grown-ups do and be themselves and take their responsibilities seriously.

Edited by Cogs

Guest The Relaxation Suite
AAaaaaah - Kennedy Vs Nixon

Am I the only one that thinks he looks more like nixon with every passing day?

Nope. That's just the image I had in mind when I read Mop's post. This is why the PM will not be appearing on any "silly" TV programme and will instead be "getting on with the job in hand" or "learning lessons", etc.

My memory's a bit hazy on this but haven't opposition leaders challenged PMs to TV debates before and the PMs have refused? Has David Cameron thrown down this gauntlet safe in the knowledge that it wouldn't be picked up by Gordon Brown?

Edited by blankster

Its a stupid idea. The correct place for this is Parliament. That used to be something the Tories claimed they stood for, but now they've got a hard-on for pretending to be the cast of the West Wing as well. Oooh who gets to be Toby and Josh feeding Dave some zingers before he goes out before the bright lights? And generating free income for Rupert Murdoch while they are on our paid time. <_<

It happens in the US because you have people contesting elections who may have never debated publicly and given their system of government, never will. If you've got say a Governor and a Senator, its quite possible without the televised debate they'd never even be in the same state at the same time the entire campaign. It also helps that they have a two-party system, I'm not crazy about where this leaves the Lib Dems either.

Sorry to be miserable about it, I'm sure it would be fun but I'd rather these people tried to be half-decent British politicians rather than phony American ones. In the dim and distant past there were men and women of character to admire and emulate (if it is a lack of stirring role models that is causing the problem) without having to go around pretending to be Jed Bartlet or Matt Santos. Or they could even do what grown-ups do and be themselves and take their responsibilities seriously.

I tend to agree with this. Public debates like this are pretty pointless when it comes down to it. The bottom line is that it doesn't really tell you who is the better at their job. Someone who can out-debate the other isn't necessarily a better politician with better policies and ideas on how to run the country.

Having said that, I'd love to see Broon get fvcked up the **** on live telly.

Brown's too busy getting on with the job and looking after hard working families. He doesn't do sky battles.

Quite right, why should he need to be seen to be taking part in a real debate. That is not how Politics works any more all the Government should need to do is repeat ad infinitem their policies and eventually we will all come to understand our great leader.

If his performances in the Commons are anything to go by he would make himself look a prize tit if he went live for any debate. What we need to see is Cameron (and that Liberal bloke if he fancies showing up) laying into Brown and not letting him get away with the usual 'getting on with the job' 'its a global problem' 'its all the fault of the Tories' type responses.

I am tempted to mail some ideas for questions to Cameron. I would particularly like to know what Brown's attitute is to Britaish citizens (yes, us indigenous ones) who is not part of a 'hard working British family' all he has done so far is shaft us with more taxes to pay for everyone elses kids and bail out their asses on their huge mortgages.

Edited by lulu

The mainstream media in the US have created a one party politics - the Republicrats - with two shop front faces.

A tv debate with just Cameron and Brown will just warp the limited choice we have in Britain even further.

I'm not sure this would even be legal under UK election law. but what does the Murdoch Empire care of legality?

Frost has said he'd do it.

As soon as Gordon smiles, he's toast. Nixon moment coming right up............

Edited by For no one

The good guys from Sky yes how we all love them giving us the chance to see Gordo spit roasted, don't think it will be anything to do with addressing their rapidly diminishing advertising take do you.

The mainstream media in the US have created a one party politics - the Republicrats - with two shop front faces.

A tv debate with just Cameron and Brown will just warp the limited choice we have in Britain even further.

I'm not sure this would even be legal under UK election law. but what does the Murdoch Empire care of legality?

They've invited Clegg too.

This is the photo they're using to promote it:

15373319.jpg

Edited by thecrashingisles

I'd be up for a debate where the interviewer is given a baseball bat. One bone broken for every f*cking question avoided rather than answered.

As it is, this will be one big round of avoidance, misdirection and outright bullsh!t.

My memory's a bit hazy on this but haven't opposition leaders challenged PMs to TV debates before and the PMs have refused? Has David Cameron thrown down this gauntlet safe in the knowledge that it wouldn't be picked up by Gordon Brown?

Your memory agrees with mine.

Nothing in it for any sitting PM. Lots in it for opposition. Lots of commercial gain for the media organisation that publishes it. Brown could and should legitimately refuse on the basis that Sky is not available to all.

Nothing in it for any sitting PM. Lots in it for opposition. Lots of commercial gain for the media organisation that publishes it. Brown could and should legitimately refuse on the basis that Sky is not available to all.

Sky News is on freeview so most people now can get it.

In this case it's different anyway because Brown is well behind in the polls. The low expectations for him going into any debate will help him.

Sky have threatened to emtpy-chair him which also makes it much more likely that the debate will happen.

In this case it's different anyway because Brown is well behind in the polls. The low expectations for him going into any debate will help him.

Sky have threatened to emtpy-chair him which also makes it much more likely that the debate will happen.

Yep. Sky now saying they will likely go ahead with or without Brown. :D

Yep. Sky now saying they will likely go ahead with or without Brown. :D

Brown will never appear on Sky. He only appears on State-Owned Television where all the questions and answer scripts are honed in advance and no-one is allowed to point out that he sounds like a (badly) broken record.

And to all those who think all politicians are irrelevant - BEWARE! Gordon Brown is as far from an irrelevance as you can get. The morality and program of the Labour party has done, and will do, more to destroy your political freedoms and democratic rights than any other. The removal of Brown and his lackies is crucial for the revitalisation of the country and subsequently, the ethically bankrupt Labour party itself.

Edited by JonnyTomes

Those are all good points. On balance I still think he will refuse the debate. Time may well prove me wrong. :)