House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trampa501

Hearing American Accents In Uk Shops

Ok, so this is a very small sample set, but a couple of times recently I've been served by someone with an accent from across the pond. Plus there's a guy in the petrol filling station who's got the accent. Anyone else come across this?

I doubt an American would move here to serve petrol, more importantly they couldn't get a work visa for that either! How old are they? Could be a student, or moved to be with a partner here, or their partner moved for work.

are USA peeps able to use the young-person under-30s 12 month temp working visa scheme here? like Aussies do?

Could be young Brits exposed to too much Sex in the City and other US TV.

I don't watch much US trash, but do speak with a lot of Americans in the course of business - and I have to slap myself when I say things like Elevator, Rest Room and even Wader (for Water) - though I am of the understanding that Wader is closer to the old Anglo Saxon than Water which was a more modern British pronunciation.

I don't watch much US trash, but do speak with a lot of Americans in the course of business - and I have to slap myself when I say things like Elevator, Rest Room and even Wader (for Water) - though I am of the understanding that Wader is closer to the old Anglo Saxon than Water which was a more modern British pronunciation.

I've been in london too long, i now say "war'ar" :blink:

I doubt an American would move here to serve petrol, more importantly they couldn't get a work visa for that either! How old are they? Could be a student, or moved to be with a partner here, or their partner moved for work.

Well 2 out of the 3 were 50-ish, so unless they're mature students I suspect they've dual nationality/UK family ties which enables them to work here, Anyway, seeing as other posters haven't seen this, I'm assuming it's not a trend.

It can't be worse than Australian "upspeak"? That really annoys me? It also causes odd social hiccups because you never know if someone is making a statement or actually asking a question?

are USA peeps able to use the young-person under-30s 12 month temp working visa scheme here? like Aussies do?

Only open to Commonwealth citizens; so Canada would be a better guess.

In a restaurant in the US I had the following exchange with the waitress:

'May I have a glass of water (war-tur) please?

'Huh?'

'A glass of water please?'

'A glass of what?'

'Erm...'waudah'?

'Oh, water, sure.'

In a restaurant in the US I had the following exchange with the waitress:

'May I have a glass of water (war-tur) please?

'Huh?'

'A glass of water please?'

'A glass of what?'

'Erm...'waudah'?

'Oh, water, sure.'

:lol:

Snap.

Sister who's lived in the US for ages still speaks very 'English'. More than once I've seen her daughter have to 'translate' for a waitress looking completely blank.

'She means 'waaaa-der.'

The Yanks have problem saying "mirror" correctly...they say "meearrrrr".

'premiere' is my favourite (as in movie).

They always say, 'premeer'.

BTW for anyone about to point it out, yes, I know it should have a grave but can't be a*sed to find/insert.