House Price Crash Forum

Us Senator Calls For Sanctions Against Britain

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
The meedya seem determined to keep the whole Lockerbie issue alive. I don't really have an opinion on the whole affair, so cannot decide if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Imagine what our meeja would be saying if it was the other way round. e.g. If it was a BA flight blown up over the US, killing British citizens, and then they released the bomber amidst whispers it was for an oil deal. I can kind of see their point on this!

HOLA446
Guest Parry aka GOD
Id laugh if they put oil sanctions on us lol

They won't do that. But remember the Iraq thing with France? Public opinion was enough to stop chesse and wine imports.

Just what did the UK government think was going to happen??? Do they think??? Are they now so arrogant as to ignore this sort of thing???

HOLA447
HOLA448
Imagine what our meeja would be saying if it was the other way round. e.g. If it was a BA flight blown up over the US, killing British citizens, and then they released the bomber amidst whispers it was for an oil deal. I can kind of see their point on this!

It killed 40 Brits. Hardly a small amount.

US has lost 3,000 soldiers in an oil war and counting.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I'm a bit confused by the way the whole affair was handled as well. Libya sent us a fall-guy - I suspect it was known to the Libyans that he had a terminal illness before they picked this particular person to take the blame.

The UK/Scottish government were happy - they were seen as being tough against terrorists. The relatives were happy - an individual had taken the blame and received punishment. Libya were then accepted by foreign governments for appearing to co-operate - everyone wins.

This whole deal has made both Britain and Libya look bad - why would either side want to do anything?

HOLA4414

This is fascinating... Last night on some US chat show some well-known former Playboy bunny/model started talking about why it was important to have free healthcare, free dental in the US.

Of course, she got ridiculed and then, for some reason the conversation turned around to Castro (Probably because for many Yanks free healthcare is one of the evils of Communism), and she commented that Castro was "brilliant" - and it was obvious from her tone that she meant it in the sense that he has aspects of brilliance about him rather than her being a fan of him... which went on to the panel asking her whether she was a fan of Hitler...

To cut a long story short, this ex-Playboy who I have never heard of now appears to be, in the minds of many Americans, up there with Bin Laden. How dare she speak her mind in the land of free? Gee, it is almost like those nutters back in the 1980s who wanted to ban John Lennon's 'Imagine' because the lyrics said "...imagine there's no Heaven, no religion too...".

Anyhow, the comments below the below clip, in the link below (you can't have too many belows in a sentence), are a fascinating insight in the mindset of a certain section of the US population. I couldn't resist, and at Post 33, waded in with a comment about the US/Castro situation which has provoked an 'interesting' response. I think I might be on the CIA's hit-list again.

http://www.tmz.com/2009/09/01/aubrey-oday-...ideo/1#comments

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

The Yanks' righteous outrage is very selective. For many years they had absolutely no moral objection to supporting and funding perfectly healthy IRA terrorists who were blowing Brits up.

HOLA4420

Is it true that British companies have basically been cold-shouldered out of Iraq contracts? Is it true that Haliburton has made Iraq a 'US companies only' zone for the multi-billion dollar contracts? Is it true that Cheney, and Neo-Con Hawks, were/are behind this?

Is it true that amongst high-ups in the UK Govt there is a feeling of betrayal over Iraq? Is it true that some UK Cabinet Ministers have decided to secure UK interests now rather than relying on US promises which come to nothing?

Is the real reason behind what is happening with Libya is that the US betrayed the UK over Iraq and the cold reality is that we now have to safeguard our own fuel supplies as we can no longer trust US Govt promises?

It is a very messy, complicated and ruthless World sadly.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

The comments are interesting! Sound sliek he is held in similar esteem to Mandleslime.

User Image

mojitomom wrote:

The investigation should also look into whether or not anyone in the Obama administration okayed it. If so, heads should roll. Including Obama's!

9/1/2009 12:29 AM EDT

Recommend

Report Abuse

User Image

TheEmuSays... wrote:

Someone should gut this vermin Schumer until he bleeds out.

8/31/2009 12:02 PM EDT

Recommend

Report Abuse

User Image

nelp wrote:

UK, once one of our most powerful allies has sold its soul to Libya ( a known terrorist hub) in exchange for that "bloody virgin mary oil". Don't blame them! Blame Obama. UK is just doing what Obaman been doing since he got into office, cuddling with the terrorist and communist leaders such Chavez of Venezuela and others. So chuky, don't be hypocrite, Don't look further, talk with your buddy first in the White House.

8/31/2009 11:34 AM EDT

Recommend (2)

Report Abuse

User Image

Guy622 wrote:

Hey folks wake up and eat the cake. It's all about moolah, money, wealth creation, oil, greed and the list goes on.

I bet this guy lives beyond the three months he was given, probably years beyond it.

Do you think the power brokers we put in office care about the people in that plane or anything for that matter beyond staying in office and feeding their egos and bank accounts?

Get real. We elect these idiots and then they convince us that we work for them.

Its politics as usual.

In our civilized society corporate money always seems to win over human decency and the politicos who are supposed to be there for us.

HA!

8/31/2009 11:14 AM EDT

Recommend (1)

Report Abuse

User Image

Krissy wrote:

Chuck as no right to castigate Britian, because he has done more to help the terrorist then the Brits could ever do. Kick this racketeer out of the cushy job.

8/31/2009 9:23 AM EDT

Recommend (1)

Report Abuse

User Image

incomitatus wrote:

This is hilarious especially coming from Chuck Schumer who did everything possible to weaken the Homeland Security regulations against terrorists in this country.

Why this punk hasn't been indicted for his role in the Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac failures is not too hard to figure out considering who the new Attorney General is.

8/31/2009 8:42 AM EDT

Recommend (2)

Report Abuse

User Image

sick & tired wrote:

Anyone that believes obama didn't know about this ahead of time is a FOOL including CHUCKY these people are obama brothers & they all HATE AMERICA.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

You impose sanctions on a country when you want them to do something, or to stop something.

What exactly is this twerp demanding that we do?

There's nothing we can do.

So sanctions are pointless.

HOLA4425