House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Pick It Down

Told Them I Was On Night Shift

Got a text off H***** M**** last week saying they were coming for an EPC today. However I told them (via an actual verbal conversation, how novel) it was inconvenient as I would be between night shifts that day, could they re-arrange. Today comes and despite this I've just been subject to a prolonged unlocking and locking of the door, ringing of the bell, banging on the door.

I had locked it from the inside when I came home at 7am. This is absolutely despicable and makes me want to go out and buy somewhere right now. :angry:

Got a text off H***** M**** last week saying they were coming for an EPC today. However I told them (via an actual verbal conversation, how novel) it was inconvenient as I would be between night shifts that day, could they re-arrange. Today comes and despite this I've just been subject to a prolonged unlocking and locking of the door, ringing of the bell, banging on the door.

I had locked it from the inside when I came home at 7am. This is absolutely despicable and makes me want to go out and buy somewhere right now. :angry:

Make a formal written complaint, keep it polite though.

It will make you feel better if nothing else.

Ring them up and tell them:

1. You told them the time was not convenient. But they came anyway.

2. They have the right to access the property with 24 hours' notice with your consent.

3. IF you do NOT give them that consent then it can only be enforced by court order.

4. You will no longer be giving them consent to enter the property and will be changing the locks. And let them go to court.

Beware:

1. They would be entitled to charge you for the costs of going to court.

2. Change the locks back when you leave.

Ring them up and tell them:

1. You told them the time was not convenient. But they came anyway.

2. They have the right to access the property with 24 hours' notice with your consent.

3. IF you do NOT give them that consent then it can only be enforced by court order.

4. You will no longer be giving them consent to enter the property and will be changing the locks. And let them go to court.

Beware:

1. They would be entitled to charge you for the costs of going to court.

2. Change the locks back when you leave.

Couple of suggestions:

1. don't ring, write to them. And send it by recorded delivery (otherwise they'll claim that they never received the letter; I should know, it's happened to me...).

2. Give them another chance - basically, if it comes to court you have to show that you made an effort. So warn them in writing "IF you do it again then I will change the locks".

Some people are just so rude!! Even if they 'forgot' to advise the DEA then that behaviour is unacceptable and definitely interfering with your quiet enjoyment.

I agree with the other comments but wonder why they are doing an EPC. Are you leaving the property or are they putting it up for sale? Just curious and interested to know what goes on in other places.

I ...wonder why they are doing an EPC. Are you leaving the property or are they putting it up for sale? Just curious and interested to know what goes on in other places.

If they are going to re-let then they will need an EPC. We had an argument/discussion with our letting agent when one lease ended and another began. We said "because it's a new lease and therefore a new letting there should be an EPC". They said "No, it's not a re-let because you're the same tenants.". We said "Why are you charging us a fee for the new tenancy, then? If it's a new tenancy, then we want to see the EPC".

Funny thing is, there's no loft hatch in our house. So the EPC fella couldn't tell if the roof space was insulated or not. Didn't stop them coming up with an EPC though. Which makes me think, What's the point of an EPC if it can't even tell you if the loft is insulated?

Sometimes I find myself living in a world like Joseph Heller's Catch 22.

Do you have the mobile number of the Management Agency or the Landlord?

If yes, phone them the next time you are doing a night shift at 2am and ask them if they want to discuss a suitable date for the inspection.