House Price Crash Forum
Guest UK Debt Slave

The Beginning Of The End For Political Correctness:

Guest UK Debt Slave

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/geraldwa...n-in-doncaster/

Nearly choked on my lunch reading this piece by Gerald Warner in the Telegraph

You do not have to go all the way in supporting the English Democrats party, whose silly proposal for an English parliament would add another superfluous layer to already excessive government, to raise a glass to Peter Davies, the party’s elected Mayor of Doncaster. Davies, the father of Tory MP Philip Davies, is one of just 11 directly elected mayors and he is enjoying increasing media exposure because of his outrageous agenda which, against all the tenets of consensual British politics, consists of doing what the public wants.

In his first week in office he cut his own salary from £73,000 to £30,000, which is putting one’s money where one’s mouth is. He also scrapped the mayoral limousine. He is ending Doncaster’s twinning with five towns around the world, an arrangement which he describes as “just for people to fly off and have a binge at the council’s expenseâ€. He intends now to reduce (that’s right, reduce) council tax by 3 per cent this year.

The “diversity†portfolio has been abolished from the council’s cabinet. From next year no more funding will be given to the town’s “Gay Pride†event, on the grounds that people do not need to parade their sexuality, whatever it may be, at taxpayers’ expense. Black History Month, International Women’s Day and the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender History Month are similarly destined to become history.

Council funding of translation services for immigrants has been scrapped because he believes incomers should take the trouble to learn English. Officials have been ordered to abandon bureaucratic gobbledegook language. Davies is saving the taxpayers £80,000 by disaffiliating from the pointless Local Government Association and the Local Government Information Unit. He aims to abolish all non-jobs on the council, as epitomised by “community cohesion officersâ€. He is taking advice from the Taxpayers’ Alliance and the Campaign Against Political Correctness.

Davies’s views are calculated to put Harriet Harridan into intensive care for six months. He disregards all “green claptrapâ€, is creating more parking spaces to encourage traffic in the town for the benefit of business (â€I’m not green and I’m not conned by global warmingâ€). He has asked the Electoral Commission to reduce the number of Doncaster’s councillors from 63 to 21 (â€If Pittsburgh can manage with nine councillors, why do we need 63?â€).

You may be feeling disorientated, overcome by a surreal sensation, on hearing such extraordinary, unprecedented views. They are the almost forgotten, forcibly extinguished voice of sanity which most people had thought forever excised from British politics. These policies are common sense, which is something we have not experienced in any council chamber, still less the House of Commons, in decades. The establishment is moving heaven and earth to discredit and obstruct Davies. He is that ultimate embarrassment: the boy who reveals that the Emperor has no clothes.

If it is good enough for Doncaster, it is good enough for Britain. Our effete, corrupt, politically correct politicians must be compelled to follow suit. Once upon a time, such policies would have been axiomatic in the Tory Party. In the Cameron-occupied Conservative Party of today they are regarded as anathema. There has to be an inflexible public will to enforce the country’s wishes on the political class under pain of ejection from public life. That is the sole agenda for the next general election. The mainstream parties, as currently constituted, are no longer electable.

Frankly, I'm absolutely gobsmacked

Hope he isn't a hillwalker ;)

Council funding of translation services for immigrants has been scrapped because he believes incomers should take the trouble to learn English

About time.

£30,000 is still a high wage.

wonder what he is doing with the ranks and ranks of managers.

This needs to reach the mainstream media. The guy could become a national hero, BUT watch out for the liberal establishment to pull out all the stops to destroy him.

'Davies’s views are calculated to put Harriet Harridan into intensive care for six months.'

They'll also make Prescott persona non grata within the Labour Party, given that it was he who championed directly elected mayors so vociferously in the first place. The result was H'Angus the Monkey, Ray Mallon and now this bloke. They even elected a Tory in North Tyneside.

Guest UK Debt Slave
£30,000 is still a high wage.

wonder what he is doing with the ranks and ranks of managers.

We wants to cut the number of councillers by 2/3rds

Kinell

Excellent. Give this man a pint please.

Also, I would like this broadcast on the MM. With Harriet Harman and Dan Hannan in studio to comment.

Hope he isn't a hillwalker ;)

If he's some Tory MPs father he has to be pretty old.

He'll be dead in a month and all his policies will be reversed... you watch.

I'de actually wages actual cash that he'll be dead before the years out.

Lucky for him most of his budget comes from central government and for a poor area like Doncaster will have been subsidised by taxpayers elsewhere. The cut in council tax will not reduce his budget by anything like 3%.

Still, nice to see somebody controlling costs for a change.

I trust Gerald Warner's opinion on anything about as far as I could throw Prescott.

However many superficially attractive ideas the Doncaster Mayor may have, it remains the case that he's a semi-fascist demagogue (albeit not an especially convincing one, given his pisspoor electoral mandate). Let's hope he does a few useful things before going bad.

Guest UK Debt Slave
If he's some Tory MPs father he has to be pretty old.

He'll be dead in a month and all his policies will be reversed... you watch.

I'de actually wages actual cash that he'll be dead before the years out.

I belive he was elected 24th June

So really, this is 'old' news

Virtually ignored by mainstream media naturally, though I did find this on the Pravda website

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8116093.stm

Guest UK Debt Slave
I trust Gerald Warner's opinion on anything about as far as I could throw Prescott.

However many superficially attractive ideas the Doncaster Mayor may have, it remains the case that he's a semi-fascist demagogue (albeit not an especially convincing one, given his pisspoor electoral mandate). Let's hope he does a few useful things before going bad.

What utter bollock$

He sounds like an excellent fellow. Council tax in the UK is extortionate, it is used to fund things few people want. It's about time UK politics returned to representation rather than ideology. They are not placed in power to follow their own agenda, they are there to do the public's bidding, they are servants not masters.

Why are we never asked what we want? Because our 'representatives' do not represent. They have no intention of doing what the public wants them to do. Thus they have no legitimacy. If the public says "cut multilingual translation" then that is what they MUST do. They get no say in the matter. To do otherwise is to fail as a representative.

I will vote for whoever offers to cut my council tax bill. I could not care less which party that is, yet I am not given this option. Each one of them bangs on about services, meaning more cost. Each one of them is only interested in bigger budgets to spend and thus more power for themselves. Where are all the candidates offering to cut services and lower bills? They would win hands down if given a platform.