House Price Crash Forum
waitingscot

What Is To Be Done?

Sometimes doing nothing can be the most violently subversive act.

Starting today I am going to look for more ways to do nothing.

Fundamentalism in Afghanistan is not a vestige of the pre-modern in the modern world. On the contrary it is the product of global capitalism, as are all forms of fundamentalism. The problem is not the failure of capitalism to prevail over such systems. The problem is in capitalism itself which in fact produces such phenomena, not incidentally, but essentially.

Zizek is not concerned that capitalism will somehow manage to continue as it is, and what can we do to stop it. It already contains the mechanisms of its own failure. We need to be concerned with what comes next. Otherwise we face catastrophe.

How can we cut off their balls?

Communism has some appealing traits, especially at the moment. But Zizek looks like he couldn't organise piss up in a brewery to be frank.

He suggests pulling money out the banks. I thought that might have some support at least.

What safe options are there for your money if you take it out the bank?

Physical cash is the only logical possibility, but that's not so safe.

If you spend your money to buy something then obviously it remains within the banking system, it simply moves from your account to the vendor's account.

What does it mean, "pull money out of the banks" when the banking system is the structure within which almost all money exists, as numbers in their computers?

Sometimes doing nothing can be the most violently subversive act.

Starting today I am going to look for more ways to do nothing.

Fundamentalism in Afghanistan is not a vestige of the pre-modern in the modern world. On the contrary it is the product of globalization, as are all forms of fundamentalism. The problem is not the failure of globalization to prevail over such systems. The problem is in globalization itself which in fact produces such phenomena, not incidentally, but essentially.

Zizek is not concerned that globalization will somehow manage to continue as it is, and what can we do to stop it. It already contains the mechanisms of its own failure. We need to be concerned with what comes next. Otherwise we face catastrophe.

How can we cut off their balls?

...corrected that for you.

Exactly by the very nature of Capitalism & free markets , eventually given enough time one company will end up with all the money. Then its game over for capitalism, but in the same breath we have things like the monopoly commision which prevents a monopoly in any one economic sector like supermarkets, and we also shouldnt under estimate the desire for entreprenuers to invent something new for the market and just not want to sell up to the highest bidder, assuming Govt intervention or other forms of intervention doesnt subvert the "something new".

I think Capitalism is still in its relativily early stages but with the advent of computers and Artifical Intelligence and other robotic advances how long before the monetary system collapses as there is not enough work to earn money for capitalism to function?

Interesting times!

Money is not capital. If money ceased to exist only the way capital currently flows would be affected not the capital itself.

...corrected that for you.

You can't separate globalisation out from capitalism. You can't have advanced capitalism without a tendency towards globalisation, and you couldn't have capitalism without its forward momentum towards bigger/richer/faster (find me a CEO prepared to shoot for zero growth); this was made pretty clear by You Know Who who did of course predict it and its effects and discontents.

Edited by Cogs

You can't have advanced capitalism without a tendency towards globalisation...

I disagree with that statement. Globalization is not as closely aligned with capitalism as we have been led to believe in the media and in those glossy productions that Goldmans pumps out proclaiming the joys of BRICs. It has more to do with the current crisis than policy makers are willing to say and will lead to social disaster, for developing nations as well as developed.

I guess you will want me to substantiate that claim but it would take me a whole book to explain. Amazon carries quite a few titles that hold my position, have a browse.

Fundamentalism in Afghanistan is not a vestige of the pre-modern in the modern world. On the contrary it is the product of global capitalism, as are all forms of fundamentalism. The problem is not the failure of capitalism to prevail over such systems. The problem is in capitalism itself which in fact produces such phenomena, not incidentally, but essentially.

This book will give you another perspective on that - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Resistance-Islamis...e/dp/0745328857

OT, but if you do own that website TwoWolves, look what I got :(

virusb.png

Running an older version of Drupal/Joomla?

Edited by codeine

Exactly by the very nature of Capitalism & free markets , eventually given enough time one company will end up with all the money.

Interesting times!

I don't see how you figure that.

if free flow of information and true capitalism is observed(ie the weak don't get a bail-out)

then if somebody comes up with a better business model then the monopolists will lose market share.

if you have this "too big to fail" mentality,then you are encouraging oligarchy.

competition is perfectly healthy,as long as the rules aren't bent.

if the athletes on the track are all clean,bar one(who has been bailed out by YOU to take a bunch of steroids) then it's hardly playing by the queensbury rules is it?

Many thanks to codeine.

I did have some sort of SQL injection on my wordpress blog, only two posts affected which have now been cleared. It shouldn't (according to my googling) have been a threat to any visitor.