House Price Crash Forum

Phobias

Guest absolutezero

HOLA441
Heights - If you fall from them, you get hurt. Really badly. Ergo I dont like them. I dont even like other people standing too close to the edge.

Here's a

of a dangerous path in Spain. This really had me cringing in horror (the video doesn't have anyone falling off or anything, but it's plenty bad enough without that).

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
Guest Parry aka GOD
I have a phobia about 'wrong water'.

I'm totally freaked out by ships in dry dock. You should NEVER see the underside of a ship

Empty swimming pools? I hate them?

When the tide went out too far after the Tsunami - Scared the beejesus out of me

That's mental. But thinking about it yes, so do I. How weird.

HOLA443

Speed camera vans. I swerve and brake violently when ever I see one, even when below the speed limit.

Good tips. Always keep another vehicle in front of you when approaching motorway bridges, as they can't nick you when another car is in front of your vehicle. If there isn't one and you are speeding, swerve into the next lane where there is a car to give you cover.

HOLA444
HOLA445
Here's a
of a dangerous path in Spain. This really had me cringing in horror (the video doesn't have anyone falling off or anything, but it's plenty bad enough without that).

Sure they used that as a scene in Half-life.

Very cringeworthy. I did spot their life-lines but still! The little trip at the beggining is genius.

HOLA446
I have a phobia about 'wrong water'.

I'm totally freaked out by ships in dry dock. You should NEVER see the underside of a ship

Empty swimming pools? I hate them?

When the tide went out too far after the Tsunami - Scared the beejesus out of me

I agree about the underside of ships - esp tankers and liners. Really creepy.

HOLA447
HOLA448

Windows Vista and probably Windows 7.

I hate the ghost effect on de-emphasised Windows and the constant change in Window emphasis on small cursor movements when I haven't even clicked the mouse. Also all the damn questions, like " Are you really sure you really really want open the control panel, coz you're obviously just a thick user and there couldn't possibly be anything of interest to you in this tab."

HOLA449

Tall things - bridges, tall buildings, mountains, ships - as I get the urge to jump off.

They used to think that this was a fear of heights but recent research has found that many climbers, pilots, etc, have this phobia and a few years ago it was given a name, which I don't recall, with it being described as a fear of not being in control.... hence if you jump you are in control and hence why they suspect so many people with it end up becoming pilots or climbers or parachutists or paraglide pilots.

HOLA4410
Guest absolutezero
Here's a

Yeah!

Not really a fan of that.

Don't like the holes in the path.

HOLA4411
Tall things - bridges, tall buildings, mountains, ships - as I get the urge to jump off.

They used to think that this was a fear of heights but recent research has found that many climbers, pilots, etc, have this phobia and a few years ago it was given a name, which I don't recall, with it being described as a fear of not being in control.... hence if you jump you are in control and hence why they suspect so many people with it end up becoming pilots or climbers or parachutists or paraglide pilots.

...or presumably dead people at the bottom of bridges, tall buildings, mountains, ships etc.

I have this phobia myself. But I never realised I was a control freak. If I could get everyone else in the world to recognise the existence of this phobia I would feel much better.

HOLA4412

It's not a phobia for me but I am very aware and concerned at thoughts of jumping out of my paraglider harness or running off a cliff face when hill walking. Which on the face of it sounds utterly ludicrous. If I'm in a harness with 3,000 feet of air below me and the ground and I am scared that I might release the buckles and let myself slip out, the obvious answer is "don't do it then".

I figured that if you were designing or evolving a brain, you wouldn't give it rules about what it should do as much as give it the ability to learn and predict the outcome of certain actions and give an emotional appraisal of them. So rather than have an instinct to stay on a ledge if there is a steep drop nearby, the brain probably runs through the probable outcome of not staying on the ledge and the resulting emotional reaction keeps you from running off. After all, stable ground is only made desirable by the immediate alternative of falling.

Funnily enough I much prefer ground skimming when paragliding as I enjoy the sense of control and flying relative to fixed objects. I actually get more scared when flying high even though it's actually safer to do so as there is more time to recover from anything going wrong.

HOLA4413
It's not a phobia for me but I am very aware and concerned at thoughts of jumping out of my paraglider harness or running off a cliff face when hill walking. Which on the face of it sounds utterly ludicrous. If I'm in a harness with 3,000 feet of air below me and the ground and I am scared that I might release the buckles and let myself slip out, the obvious answer is "don't do it then".

Been there, had the same feeling, stopped the paragliding - stopped mainly because of the numerous serious injuries I have read about or even seen on the TV.

There are lots of Darwin Awards for paraglider pilots / parachutists who have jumped off El Capitan in Yosemite having forgotten to tie up their harness or who have simply forgot to put it on.

The theory is that they sit down, wait for the right weather conditions, unclip their harnesses and have a cuppa.

The wind then turns to perfect and, in their haste, they jump up and run off the cliff edge forgetting that their harness is undone or not even on.

I personally think that many do in fact suffer from above-mentioned phobia and the urge to jump becomes over-whelming to the point that a kind of fear madness takes over... and you just have to jump...

HOLA4414
...or presumably dead people at the bottom of bridges, tall buildings, mountains, ships etc.

I have this phobia myself. But I never realised I was a control freak. If I could get everyone else in the world to recognise the existence of this phobia I would feel much better.

A rational fear of not being in control and being a control freak are two completely different things.

Most control freaks are sociopaths. Not healthy.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
I personally think that many do in fact suffer from above-mentioned phobia and the urge to jump becomes over-whelming to the point that a kind of fear madness takes over... and you just have to jump...

That is exactly how I feel! I am often compelled to climb high objects and when I finally realise how high I am I physically feel an urge to jump. I really need to take a deep breath and try to maintain composure. I suspect my urge to climb in the first place has something to do with my need to overcome this 'uncontrollable' urge..?

HOLA4417

Big spiders in my house freak me out for some reason as I don't think I've ever been bittten by one. I don't like slugs either, I've got two dead ones in my garden and I can't even bring myself to look at them. They've put me off eating snails and prawns for life. It is said that behaviour modification in the form of 'graded exposure' or 'flooding' helps to cure these types of phobias but I don't think it would work in my case.

Archived