House Price Crash Forum

I am watching The Future of Food and surely this idea that Cuba has for urban farms must be a good idea here. We can use urban areas or land that farmers have made fallow under EC set aside laws (they should still get paid by the EC if the benefits people farm it).

So if people are on benefits then they need to work on urban farms for the good of the community.

Any comments?

My thoughts are that the unemployed would LOVE it but they would never want a job.

I watched a series last year about a project for people in rehab that was based on them working a farm, cooking, eating together ......they flourished , but not one wanted the project to end.

So much of what we do is meaningless, there is something about returning to the earth, about growing things , about feeling connected, people thrive.

Put them in a job in B&Q or Tesco's and they don't, its as simple as that.

I am watching The Future of Food and surely this idea that Cuba has for urban farms must be a good idea here. We can use urban areas or land that farmers have made fallow under EC set aside laws (they should still get paid by the EC if the benefits people farm it).

So if people are on benefits then they need to work on urban farms for the good of the community.

Any comments?

why would you vote for Labor if you have to work for your benefits??? you must think politically, comrade!

My thoughts are that the unemployed would LOVE it but they would never want a job.

I watched a series last year about a project for people in rehab that was based on them working a farm, cooking, eating together ......they flourished , but not one wanted the project to end.

So much of what we do is meaningless, there is something about returning to the earth, about growing things , about feeling connected, people thrive.

This is my whole point they may be on benefits for thier whole life but at least they are productive and sharing the work ethic and experiencing the benefits of productive work.

Surely this must be better than watching day time TV and getting obese.

:blink: What would be wrong with them loving it? I think it's a great idea, not as a stepping stone to being a greeter in B&Q but to being a happy peasant. If they want more out of life it's still there as it always was but looking at that benefit busters program they clearly often aren't all of high ambition. Fine toil the land then. I'll pretend the threshing machine was never invented if you will. Anything to keep them occupied would be a start.

Perhaps something along these lines?

What's not to like?

The sale of produce and cotton from Parchman Farm was consistently profitable for the state.
So that's all right then.

Today's lunch for my wife and I was a couple of chicken thighs each from Tesco bought just before closing (30p)and sweet corn, runner beans, potatoes,tomatos all grown in our garden. Dessert was apple pie...apples from our tree.

Just give people land and let them do what they will.

In the current economic crisis, no one should be getting benefits for free. If you need the money then you should be queing up for for and paid vouchers for food/rent at the end of a hard 8 hour shift. If you expect society to contribute to your welfare surely you must be happy to contribute to society in any shape of fashion. Too long have these people take the P&&s and defrauded us all. If they claim human rights abuse...I claim my human rights not to have to work 60 hours a week, be taxed to the hilt to pay some work shy sponger.

Money for nothing should be a thing of the past.

Oh, and the same for bankers too :-)

Any comments?

With you 100%

In the current economic crisis, no one should be getting benefits for free. If you need the money then you should be queing up for for and paid vouchers for food/rent at the end of a hard 8 hour shift. If you expect society to contribute to your welfare surely you must be happy to contribute to society in any shape of fashion. Too long have these people take the P&&s and defrauded us all. If they claim human rights abuse...I claim my human rights not to have to work 60 hours a week, be taxed to the hilt to pay some work shy sponger.

Money for nothing should be a thing of the past.

That sounds absolutely reasonable to me. How can we be spending money to keep them idle and at the same time paying other people to do the work they could be doing.

The only problem with this is that the people who would otherwise be paid to do it would then be made redundant.

We need new schemes. New projects. That don't involve much raw materials because we can't afford that either.

Plowing up the parks could be the ideal solution. Otherwise the wino gits would only make them no-go areas anyway.

Guest sillybear2

A good number of the underclasses already run urban farms, it's just that they only cultivate a certain variety of 'erb.

That sounds absolutely reasonable to me. How can we be spending money to keep them idle and at the same time paying other people to do the work they could be doing.

The only problem with this is that the people who would otherwise be paid to do it would then be made redundant.

We need new schemes. New projects. That don't involve much raw materials because we can't afford that either.

Plowing up the parks could be the ideal solution. Otherwise the wino gits would only make them no-go areas anyway.

There should be no need for redundancies amongst the current farming workforce as we import 70% of our fruit and veg.

Why do we import lamb from New Zealand when we are in prime Lamb production time, in future NZ will ship it to asia less distance mor profits for them, the Rural farms produce meat and the urban farms produce fruit and veg. Meat will always carry a premium. Also it does need some planning so as not to discourage rural farms.

Meanwhile back in the REAL World.

Any scheme like this would cost billions to administer, which would be an ongoing additional cost

Basically nothing like this is ever going to happen because the public finances are bankrupt.

:blink:

Any comments?

The entire point of the EC set-aside is that EC produced produce is overly expensive and too plentiful.

So, adding more produce to the EC's food mountains, with subsidised labour on not too-productive land (it's never the good fields that lie fallow...) who are unwilling workers that need more supervision and most likely also operate much slower... whilst at the same time undermining the professional farms commercially since they would stay in business no matter what, whilst the real farmers with everything to lose would have to compete against them, if not on quality, then on price.

Edited by Cinnamon

Any scheme like this would cost billions to administer, which would be an ongoing additional cost

Basically nothing like this is ever going to happen because the public finances are bankrupt.

Where is your British "Can Do Spirit"?

Guest sillybear2

True, an answer would be to give poor people a one time gift of some land then nothing beyond that, apart from universal healthcare, maybe some means tested food vouchers. If the state hands people free money then people will simply pop down their local Tesco and consume, the produce might well be picked by foreign labour in a field 2 miles away.

It seems to be me that the benefits system along with the associated housing benefits is simply an indirect way of propping up a ponzi scheme and supporting over-consumption for huge chain retailers.

Very true.

Other methods need to be found to punish these people on the cheap, but I think things will be moving too quickly over the next year or two.

Have you people got something against job creation? One hand complains the applicants aren't good enough for the jobs, the other hand wants them to work for free in what are essentially non-jobs. Which is what the public sector get criticised for. I guess all of the recently unemployed should be thrown on the scrapheap too, despite their tax contributions? <_<

True, an answer would be to give poor people a one time gift of some land then nothing beyond that, apart from universal healthcare, maybe some means tested food vouchers. If the state hands people free money then people will simply pop down their local Tesco and consume, the produce might well be picked by foreign labour in a field 2 miles away.

It seems to be me that the benefits system along with the associated housing benefits is simply an indirect way of propping up a ponzi scheme and supporting over-consumption for huge chain retailers.

The answer is to stop importing millions of people to do jobs that should be done by millions of people who are currently living on benefits.

Anything else is just more public sector job creation schemes that impose an even bigger burden on the rapidly contracting wealth creating sector of the economy.

Basically, we are F*cked for generations.

Thanks a lot Gordon.

Very true.

Other methods need to be found to punish these people on the cheap, but I think things will be moving too quickly over the next year or two.

My 'punishment' would be to provide REAL jobs for people that paid a wage they could actually live on.

But this is never going to happen unless we stop importing all the World's unemployed.

Guest sillybear2
The answer is to stop importing millions of people to do jobs that should be done by millions of people who are currently living on benefits.

Quite, seems so simple right, but if the government is giving you free money week after week and Żeleński is doing all the hard labour, what incentive is there to dig for victory?

Have you people got something against job creation? One hand complains the applicants aren't good enough for the jobs, the other hand wants them to work for free in what are essentially non-jobs. Which is what the public sector get criticised for. I guess all of the recently unemployed should be thrown on the scrapheap too, despite their tax contributions? <_<

Every job created in the Public Sector is just another nail in the coffin of the country's finances.

The state has now reached a point where it is rapidly bleeding the real economy to death.

Unless there are massive reductions in the size of the state this country is finished.

And I actually think that EVERYONE in the establishment realises this.

The only question is, who has the balls to do it and who is going to get the blame.