House Price Crash Forum

Vera Lynn Tops Charts

juvenal

HOLA441

With the tentacles of recession inexorably tightening their grip on the quivering testicles of the economy, is this the first faint sign of a growing resilience among us Brits?

Or are we still as a nation, mentally in the summer of '39, blind to the coming storm?.

HOLA442
HOLA443
Guest tbatst2000

Don't know about Dunkirk spirit but I just saw her interviewed on the news and she looked and sounded more like 62, not the 92 that she is. Amazingly well preserved and totally with it still.

HOLA444
Don't know about Dunkirk spirit but I just saw her interviewed on the news and she looked and sounded more like 62, not the 92 that she is. Amazingly well preserved and totally with it still.

God bless her!

HOLA445
God bless her!

......and all who sailed in her. It was her "jam tomorrow " song that did it. Has anyone ever seen a native bluebird other than on a tin of toffees? Its what we need today is another Jam tomorrow song. Does anyone know one we could use ?

HOLA446
......and all who sailed in her. It was her "jam tomorrow " song that did it. Has anyone ever seen a native bluebird other than on a tin of toffees? Its what we need today is another Jam tomorrow song. Does anyone know one we could use ?

I don't remember her singing with The Jam. Surely Paul Weller was still in nappies during the Blitz?

HOLA447
HOLA448

She may have been referring to the indigenous Blue Tit. This feisty winged denizen of field and urban garden has a liking for cream and milk, and may well seize jam or similar preserves, if given the opportunity*.

It is a little known fact that Dame Vera Lynn is a big admirer of punk music, although she found the gobbing at the Pistol's gigs a little lacking in refinement.

* 'Redwing' may wish to add his expertise here.

HOLA449
The 'bluebirds' are American birds, the song was written by two americans, there never have been bluebirds over the white cliffs...

This may be a subtle reference by Dame Vera to the American contribution to the war effort.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Still think that "Hitler has only got one ball" is the best.

Dame Vera never recorded that, surely?

Many of us felt that her rendition of "Come out of the cornfield, Nellie/ You're going against the grain..." was quite raunchy enough.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
What about "with me little stick of Blackpool rock?"

I think she regrets singing that one now. Mercifully only available on the 'Vera - Live at the Aldershot NAAFI' album. Few copies survived the bombing.

Permissible in the repertoire of the Northern ukelele wizard, but far too suggestive for her.

HOLA4416
No not really poetic license. 'starlings over the white cliffs.... herring gulls over the white cliffs' does not have that vital image and feel good factor essential for war time propaganda. 'bluebirds over the white cliffs of Dover....' see much better.

You are trying to defend the indefensible . Vera misled the nation in our hour of need regarding the bluebirds. My late auntie visited Dover every year for forty years on the off chance of seeing one. I for one will not be buying her latest album and I urge others to do the same :angry: .

HOLA4417

Decent person, did not make the money her then celebrity would make now. An awful accent which no-one has changed, which is quite interesting for someone from the accent sensitive Forties.

To her generation the songs were important and post Harry Patch we are suddenly aware that The WW2 generation is disappearing. (As sadly my Mother-in Law on Saturday.)

And they were good songs, with real words, a connection between the Music Hall stories and English Folk music, early Beatles and before LSD.

Of course, to someone as perky as me, the Catherine Jenkins performences of her songs produce more tumescence.

HOLA4418
You are trying to defend the indefensible . Vera misled the nation in our hour of need regarding the bluebirds. My late auntie visited Dover every year for forty years on the off chance of seeing one. I for one will not be buying her latest album and I urge others to do the same :angry: .

This is harsh.

When Vera recorded 'When the Lights Go On Again, All Over the World' there was no implicit promise of electrical power for every nation on earth. Nor was 'We'll Meet Again' a commitment to an individual rendezvous after the War with every one of the millions of troops who heard her sing.

An artist must be allowed some creative license.

By the way, as a serving Coastguard, I met your aunt on the Dover cliffs several times. She seemed eccentric to say the least, and always offered me chelsea buns, which I declined. She made other suggestions as well. Was she really a Girl Guide Leader in her youth? Her six inch heels and rubber skirt make this claim seem a trifle improbable.

HOLA4419
This is harsh.

When Vera recorded 'When the Lights Go On Again, All Over the World' there was no implicit promise of electrical power for every nation on earth. Nor was 'We'll Meet Again' a commitment to an individual rendezvous after the War with every one of the millions of troops who heard her sing.

An artist must be allowed some creative license.

By the way, as a serving Coastguard, I met your aunt on the Dover cliffs several times. She seemed eccentric to say the least, and always offered me chelsea buns, which I declined. She made other suggestions as well. Was she really a Girl Guide Leader in her youth? Her six inch heels and rubber skirt make this claim seem a trifle improbable.

Vera was a crafty cow who always covered her tracks by singing "dont know where dont know when"

which I felt was playing mind games with our brave troops. why oh why did she feel the need to do this . Any decent person would have hummed that line, but no not Vera

It could not have been my auntie you met because she was allergic to rubber and had to visit the clinic many times because of this. I think you must have met her younger sister who I hasten to add was no relation to me.

Edited to protect my aunties identity

HOLA4420

Couldn't agree more. What really caught my attention in her interview on PM this evening was the way she was actually responding critically to the interviewer's questions, and trying to come up with rational suggestions for the enduring popularity of her songs, rather than just basking in the glory. Most of the interviewees on that programme who are 60-70 years younger than her either couldn't or won't respond to what they're being asked anything like as intelligently.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Heard somewhere not long ago that that song was actually written by a Yank.

Which might explain it ;)

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
None of the above

Its only the old fookers who've got money to spend at the moment. Boomers reminding us to be grateful for never suffering like they did :rolleyes: the hardship of war they never suffered either.

They had it tough though. Everything was in black and white until 1967.

HOLA4425
The 'bluebirds' are American birds, the song was written by two americans, there never have been bluebirds over the white cliffs...

I am led to believe that the Blue Birds over the White Cliffs are the RAF, ie their blue uniforms.

But I believe anything.

Archived