House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
itsdave

Selling With Tenants

Hello folks,

I recently put my flat (currently with tenants in) on the market. We ageed a £200pcm reduction in rent, as a goodwill gesture on both sides, in return for them allowing pre-arranged viewngs with the estate agent, on the understanding that the flat would be kept in a clean and tidy state for viewings.

I've had feedback via the estate agent that the flat has been dirty and untidy during viewings.

Am I being unreasonable to expect them to have the place reasonably clean and tidy for viewings? Should I put the rent back up and give them notice?

Hi there,

How about getting the tenants side of the story first ? (in a reasonable and approachable way).

I've been a tenant in a property being sold before. The agent may be turning up with no warning and also at times that it is inconvenient /impossible to have the place as tidy as one would want (i.e. I was accused about "untidiness" when an agent visited totally unannounced when I had severe food poisoning and walked in on me as I was very sick)

To me it's simply not worth £200pcm to have that sort of invasion and I don't allow agents in. Your tenants may feel differently of course. There may be another side to this story.

Edited by Flopsy

Let's face it, you haven't exactly incentivised them to help you sell the place have you ?

Heh, fair point! What would you suggest though? I was trying to be reasonable and fair, and it appears to have bit me on the bum!

I rent myself and personally would have told the landlord I wasn't prepared to have the agency show people around at all, and would have waited to get my 2 months notice. Since they didn't do this, and we entered into a compromise agreement, I expected them to stick to it.

Hi Flopsy - I have no contact with the tenants as I live 300 miles away and everything is done via an agent. Sorry to hear about your problems with the agent - that's terrible! I've also rented whist the landlord was selling, and I made absolutely no effort to keep it tidy... but he was a scummy landlord (had to have the gas appliance condemned, environmental health in for various safety issues etc.).

Think I'll probably just give them notice.

Edited by itsdave

Heh, fair point! What would you suggest though? I was trying to be reasonable and fair, and it appears to have bit me on the bum!

I rent myself and personally would have told the landlord I wasn't prepared to have the agency show people around at all, and would have waited to get my 2 months notice. Since they didn't do this, and we entered into a compromise agreement, I expected them to stick to it.

Hi Flopsy - I have no contact with the tenants as I live 300 miles away and everything is done via an agent. Sorry to hear about your problems with the agent - that's terrible! I've also rented whist the landlord was selling, and I made absolutely no effort to keep it tidy... but he was a scummy landlord (had to have the gas appliance condemned, environmental health in for various safety issues etc.).

Think I'll probably just give them notice.

I would have given them notice, then handled the sale. It's the cleanest way of doing it.

If you'd done the same to me I would have stuck by the deal. But not everyone is "reasonable and fair", at least by your definition.

Good luck with the sale !

I would have given them notice, then handled the sale. It's the cleanest way of doing it.

If you'd done the same to me I would have stuck by the deal. But not everyone is "reasonable and fair", at least by your definition.

Good luck with the sale !

Thanks for the input - will give them notice in the morning. As you say, it's the cleanest way all round.

I honestly never considered that they might keep it untidy and try to string it along for the cheaper rent - doh! What a bloody naive idiot :rolleyes: !

I can see that they could manipulate your offer, but I would not expect most people to do this ... and so in the absence of any other information I am assuming that they are not fleecing you.

I've done a bit of remote landlording, selling when the tennants are there, etc ... my approach if in your situation now would be to talk to them directly. For me, I did this by sending my tennants a letter - very informal - saying to give me a call/I would give them a call (obviously I did actually have their phone number already for this one). Talking to someone directly creates a "connection" that is totally devoid when an agent sticks their oar in. If nothing else you'll conclude that they are definitely ripping you off ... *or* ... they are sound enough people to trust on this one.

I also arranged to meet my tennants (when I was living 200miles round trip away). I said in a letter to them that I would like to meet face to face and that if we met at the house then it definitely wouldn't be some sort of "inspection" and that if they wanted to meet at the pub around the corner instead then that was fine with me.

My opinion here is that the tennants should be allowed to keep the place in whatever state they deem fit (obviously within contractural limits of hygene, maintenance, etc). If you've got some decent photos of the interior on rightmove then that's all you need to generate the interest (in so far as what the insides look like, of course). Viewers will be prepped by the agent that there are tennants doing their own thing, and really people can see beyond the clutter and limescale to picture what the place will look like for them.

If you're looking at paying a mortgage during the period of being on the market, does it not sound attractive to have tennants subsidising that expenditure? Not to mention keeping the place secure in so much that it is not vacant.

Thanks for the input - will give them notice in the morning. As you say, it's the cleanest way all round.

I honestly never considered that they might keep it untidy and try to string it along for the cheaper rent - doh! What a bloody naive idiot :rolleyes: !

How about you incentivise them to help you sell the place?

So, you revert back to the original rent for each month whilst the place is being marketed. When the property is exchanged, you give back the last months rent - and the deposit.

Therefore it's in their interest to have the place looking great and not obstruct any viewings

Win win for both sides???

How about you incentivise them to help you sell the place?

So, you revert back to the original rent for each month whilst the place is being marketed. When the property is exchanged, you give back the last months rent - and the deposit.

Therefore it's in their interest to have the place looking great and not obstruct any viewings

Win win for both sides???

You had me before the 'and the deposit' bit :lol: ! Thanks for the suggestion (and also thanks bug09 for the benefit of your remote landlord experience, and Driver for the good wishes).

Good news is that there was a mini bidding war today, and I've accepted an offer very slightly above the asking price. It's down about 14% from 2007 peak, but am well-chuffed at getting it sold after two weeks on the market. Tenants have been given notice and the rent put back up :P . Fingers crossed that the first time buyer doesn't have any issues with finance, and that the mortgage valuation comes back ok.

Thanks to everyone for your advice!