House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cashinmattress

London Bus With 16 Cctv Cameras Inside

London bus with 16 CCTV cameras inside

It's Bank Holiday Monday here in the UK, so this morning we took the kid to the zoo in Regent's Park on the 205 bus. The bus we got was quite a new one, and right by the driver was a screen showing the feed from the sixteen CCTV cameras on this one bus. How much of that footage to they actually archive? For how long? And how much of it do they lose track of?

3874066765_3831c3f19b.jpg

How have things gotten so bad for us Brits?

I think a lot of that is a visual deterrant only.

the ones which covertly pick up pheromone anomolies are altogether far more sinister.

51R8PHDGQDL._SL500.jpg

Usually the local buses have between 3-8 cameras depending on size\decks. Some do have this split screen viewer up front. But then I'm really on the western edge of London, so the police state is only noticable out here because of Heathrow...

Pointless if they don't take action. Yesterday subjected to loud foul mouthed youth's playing music full blast on phone's on the bus. No one to enforce the rules.

Quite happy to have CCTV in very public confined places where imo it serves a security purpose.

You get all sorts of people on the buses. From young children to crazy people who chant and rock back and forth.

I suspect that these cameras have those advanced situation filters.

If it's the police beating people up, or shooting a foreigner, then the cameras automatically don't archive the data.

If it's you accidently dropping a piece of litter, then the footage is probably archived, backed up on threee separate systems and sent over wireless network to the bus company HQ so that justice can be done.

No matter how well this lends itself to anguished cries about a surveillance state, the simple thing is you're less likely to get beaten up on that bus, and you're less likely to get beaten up on that bus while some chav holds their baseball cap over the camera.

And even if you don't believe the above, then they still do you no harm and certainly don't make you more likely to get beaten up.

Out of interest...

How instrumental was CCTV on public transport in London in catching the failed July 21st bombers? I think the answer is very. If it wasn't for it they'd have had no idea who they were looking for in the first place.

Mikey, I really do believe that individuals such as yourself won't "get it" until you are on your 'Arris queuing for some free grub dispensed by a charity.

Above you, attached to a pole, is a dome camera and speaker. The voice says: "keep that line straight!"

Only then will you realise that this immense surveillance state that Britain has become was constructed to keep people like you with a proverbial heal to your face for when this country's economy collapses.

Understand this, TPTB do not give a flying fook about your welfare whether you're on a bus, in a street, or anywhere else. All they want of you is your continuing apathy and docility.

So it's much more sensible to assume that these CCTV cameras are part of a new world order conspiracy to make sure my body language isn't saying non-positive thoughts about nulabour as I travel to work than it is to think that they are about preventing and detecting crime?

I won't argue with you, you can decide for yourself the reason why.

In the meantime, and whether this is the intended effect or an unintentional bonus, the fact remains that you're less likely to get beaten up on that bus than if it didn't have the cameras. :) And that the 21/7 bombers wouldn't have been caught without CCTV as they wouldn't have known who they were looking for.

It's not like anyone's doing anything private on a bus that other people can't see, is it? And older double-deckers often had a sort of periscope set-up so the driver could see the upper deck. And what about the exterior mirrors on a bus? Surely that's an infringement of the privacy of drivers in following vehicles!!!

Having said that, 16 cameras is a bit pointless, maybe it's a test set-up to find which positions are most useful.

Guest skullingtonjoe
Pointless if they don't take action. Yesterday subjected to loud foul mouthed youth's playing music full blast on phone's on the bus. No one to enforce the rules.

Just watched Charles Bronson (the actor) in Death Wish 3. Ah, if only I could get him to come along on a night out...failing that I`ll settle for The A-Team!

So it's much more sensible to assume that these CCTV cameras are part of a new world order conspiracy to make sure my body language isn't saying non-positive thoughts about nulabour as I travel to work than it is to think that they are about preventing and detecting crime?

I won't argue with you, you can decide for yourself the reason why.

In the meantime, and whether this is the intended effect or an unintentional bonus, the fact remains that you're less likely to get beaten up on that bus than if it didn't have the cameras. :) And that the 21/7 bombers wouldn't have been caught without CCTV as they wouldn't have known who they were looking for.

I told you the reason why. They are to help ensure order when millions upon millions of Britons suffer penury.

I could find the figures for how many CCTV cameras there are in Britain. From memory, they easily outstrip what the USA have where the population is five times greater, the citizenry is heavily armed and was the scene of allegedly the greatest terrorist outrage the world has ever seen.

This report ( http://www.securityoracle.com/news/Britain...hina_15752.html ) claims there's more CCTV in situ here than in China whose population is over 20 times greater.

Keep on kidding yourself that it's just all a giant coincidence that aside from Monaco (if they count), pro rata the UK has more CCTV than any country in the world. (And I haven't mentioned the DNA database, the logging of every phone call and Internet site visited, etc, etc, etc.)

I mean, there's so many clues that one doesn't need to be a fan of Poirot or Murder She Wrote to spot them a mile off.

My tip for the day: get your thinking cap on sharpish, then fill your garage with grub else within the next two months you'll find yourself challenging Usain Bolt's sprint records in your haste to get to your nearest supermarket.

Or how about they are goody-two-shoes philanthropists who, by making available the records of every phone number we call and receive to hundreds of public bodies, many of them unelected QUANGOs the like of the Charity Commission, are invading our privacy for our own good only we are too thick to understand that it's in our interests that faceless strangers can access the info without our knowledge or consent.

Nah, I'd have to watch the X-Factor 24/7 for 20 years to swallow the above.

No matter how well this lends itself to anguished cries about a surveillance state, the simple thing is you're less likely to get beaten up on that bus, and you're less likely to get beaten up on that bus while some chav holds their baseball cap over the camera.

And even if you don't believe the above, then they still do you no harm and certainly don't make you more likely to get beaten up.

Out of interest...

How instrumental was CCTV on public transport in London in catching the failed July 21st bombers? I think the answer is very. If it wasn't for it they'd have had no idea who they were looking for in the first place.

Please learn to think for yourself and not just spurt out what the BBC tells you to think as it's so boring and we can always watch the BBC if we wanted that handle on things.

During the fuel protests half those being questionsed on live tv did not have a problom with prices going up apparantly ! was you one of them :lol:

Mikey, I really do believe that individuals such as yourself won't "get it" until you are on your 'Arris queuing for some free grub dispensed by a charity.

Above you, attached to a pole, is a dome camera and speaker. The voice says: "keep that line straight!"

Only then will you realise that this immense surveillance state that Britain has become was constructed to keep people like you with a proverbial heal to your face for when this country's economy collapses.

Understand this, TPTB do not give a flying fook about your welfare whether you're on a bus, in a street, or anywhere else. All they want of you is your continuing apathy and docility.

Here in Norwich, outside the library is a large plain, however it's no cycling... I've walked through the area in the evening, and every now and then there's a cyclist on their bike - and seemingly from nowhere a voice comes saying "no cycling, please walk - thankyou!"

We're there already, and have been for a couple of years.

The CCTVs that get me are the average speed cameras. I approve of them generally on principle - however in practice there are just so many of them on the stretches of road that they're operated on that it feels overwhelming. I also spend more time concentrating on the speed I'm going than on the raod that it doesn't feel as safe (not so slow so as not to piss off the pushy guy behind, so you need to maintain the exact speed limit - V annoying)

London bus with 16 CCTV cameras inside

3874066765_3831c3f19b.jpg

How have things gotten so bad for us Brits?

Its stored to a hard drive

the data is automatically rewritten over

the Hard drive is big enough to store between 7 and 14 days of video.

There are other cameras, on NX coaches there are forward looking cameras seeing what the driver sees which can be used to analyse dangerous driving

If the video is required, the hard drive is swapped over at the depot and analysed by a manager

Out of interest...

CCTV on a bus is not such a big deal in my opinion. But your arguments about CCTV preventing crime have been questioned recently by senior police officers so your assertions are arguable at best. Of course even if common sense and proportionality prevailed we could never realistically expect surveillance systems to be deliberately scaled down. Any kind of impartial research will indicate that surveillance systems are becomming more sophisticated, more detailed, more minute and more complicated. And it isn't just the 'anguished' cries of civil libertarians who call Britain a surveillance state. Foreign media as well as various Wikipedia entries etc. now cite the UK as being the prime example of an electronic police/surveillance state.

Exactly. All they do is monitor crime.

I'm been on a London bus twice when trouble has kicked off, and the driver has had to press the panic button. Once when some youths lit up cannabis at the back of the bus and there was a passenger revolt! The police arrived pretty quickly and the youths fled.

The problem with bus travel is that a sizable minority endeavour to make life hell for the other passengers. I even think mobile phones should now be banned on all public transport.

We really need bus wardens that hop on and enforce the rules. Tell people that putting your feet up is not acceptable behaviour. I also recall the Top Gear team in Tokyo (I think) getting a ticking off for using a phone on public transport.

CCTV is ok for big crime, such as stabbings and terrorism to help get evidence but useless at making bus travel a remotely enjoyable experience.

CCTV is ok for big crime, such as stabbings and terrorism to help get evidence but useless at making bus travel a remotely enjoyable experience.

Aye what you really need is a lovely big car, with comfy leather seats and ideally double glazing... :)

Aye what you really need is a lovely big car, with comfy leather seats and ideally double glazing... :)

I have all that too.. apart from the double glazing!

Guest Parry aka GOD

If you don't like it . . . get on an aeroplane and re-enter the free world. Take advantage of that passport that get's you in anywhere bar North Korea.

You lot give us expats loads of sh1t on this site and then . . . ;)

Well anyway, two websites for you:

www.lastminute.com

www.expedia.co.uk

If you don't like it . . . get on an aeroplane and re-enter the free world. Take advantage of that passport that get's you in anywhere bar North Korea.

You lot give us expats loads of sh1t on this site and then . . . ;)

Well anyway, two websites for you:

www.lastminute.com

www.expedia.co.uk

I'm off in 2/3 months time. All I need is decent broadband.