House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Disposable Heroes

I've Got A Weather Station.

Guest DisposableHeroes

It tells the time (radio controlled signal, perfectly accurate).

Indoor/outdoor temprature (max/min).

Humidity (max/min)

Sun Rise / Sun Set

Moon Rise / Moon Set

Phase of the Moon

Barometric pressure (12 history)

A picture of a weather girl, who dress or undress according to the temperature.

It's Brilllyyyyaaantttt. Ain't technology, amazin.

Guest KingCharles1st

They ought to do one for your significant other- just imagine the features-

Time of month

Weight- over= anger- tropical strength thunderstorms and typhoon

Bum size- over size 6= extreme weather ahead

Important dates- birthdays for example

etc

Guest DisposableHeroes
They ought to do one for your significant other- just imagine the features-

Time of month

Weight- over= anger- tropical strength thunderstorms and typhoon

Bum size- over size 6= extreme weather ahead

Important dates- birthdays for example

etc

Your on to something there:

A 'you've done something wrong' button, so the OH can administer the correct amount of silent treatment.

Guest DisposableHeroes
Just make sure you site it somewhat better than this one (which is used to assess climate change :lol: )

lovelock_mig480.jpg

I expect things are a little bit warmer there than they used to be...

A climate change display, GENIUS.

Hot and cakes, spring to mind.

The weather in Bulgaria is perfect,it is so hot and sunny at the moment.I enjoy every moment having on mind that all my life i lived in England. Check it on elhovo.co.uk

Yes, ive had one for a while too. Just make sure the thermometer is in the shade. Nothing more irritating than granny muggins phoning into radio 2 saying its 150c in her back garden today. Apparently all the apparatus should be at least x2 times the distance from the nearest building based on that buildings height.

Yes, ive had one for a while too. Just make sure the thermometer is in the shade. Nothing more irritating than granny muggins phoning into radio 2 saying its 150c in her back garden today. Apparently all the apparatus should be at least x2 times the distance from the nearest building based on that buildings height.

I've never understand this. If I'm sat out in the sun, in my back garden, what use is it telling me the temperature in the shade? I care not for the temp in the shade, as I am not sat there.

I made one for GCSE Technology. Mostly malarkey involving a thermistor and a motor used as a dynamo (windspeed).

Plugged into the back of a BBC Model B which was brilliant for that sort of thing (nice buffered inputs). Drew graphs as well.

I've never understand this. If I'm sat out in the sun, in my back garden, what use is it telling me the temperature in the shade? I care not for the temp in the shade, as I am not sat there.

If you leave a thermometer out in the sun, the temperature it reads tells you more about the material the thermometer is made from and attached to rather than what the ambient temperature is. You want the air temperature, not the concrete/sunlounger/grass temperature (which can all vary from the air temperature ach each other by 10c/18F plus).

Your thermometer can read warmer on a sunny 12c day in spring than a cloudy 17c day in summer if not sited properly.

The best way to do it is to have the thermometer a small distance from the ground - usually 2 metres - as there is usually an extremely warm layer right next to the ground due to absorbed and re-emitted solar radiation (this is what you usually see distorting themometers upwards at eg Wembley). Have the themometer shaded from all incoming radiation.

Of course if you really want the temperature where you are, I'd suggest a thermometer isn't really necessary and you assume 37c.

Guest Parry aka GOD
It tells the time (radio controlled signal, perfectly accurate).

Indoor/outdoor temprature (max/min).

Humidity (max/min)

Sun Rise / Sun Set

Moon Rise / Moon Set

Phase of the Moon

Barometric pressure (12 history)

A picture of a weather girl, who dress or undress according to the temperature.

It's Brilllyyyyaaantttt. Ain't technology, amazin.

Which one did you get? Does it have wireless data? Is it easy to set up?

I use Davis Instruments stations, but they can be an absolute bitch to hook up.

Guest DisposableHeroes
Which one did you get? Does it have wireless data? Is it easy to set up?

I use Davis Instruments stations, but they can be an absolute bitch to hook up.

It's nothing flash Mr P, it's just a cheap generic one. I've viewed stations which connect to a computer and record data (data viewable via the web), very good.

Guest Parry aka GOD
It's nothing flash Mr P, it's just a cheap generic one. I've viewed stations which connect to a computer and record data (data viewable via the web), very good.

Yeah the Davis Instrument Pro II is what I use on sites. But connecting the b@stard thing is a nightmare. Good once going though. Records everything and you can do monthly/yearly/whatever detailed and stat reports.

Guest DisposableHeroes
Yeah the Davis Instrument Pro II is what I use on sites. But connecting the b@stard thing is a nightmare. Good once going though. Records everything and you can do monthly/yearly/whatever detailed and stat reports.

Yes I can imagine, making sure everything is working correctly and positioned in good locations (non bias) must be critical. Not to mention getting the data recording.

I had enough trouble finding a shaded spot for my wireless thermometer :)

Guest Parry aka GOD
Yes I can imagine, making sure everything is working correctly and positioned in good locations (non bias) must be critical. Not to mention getting the data recording.

I had enough trouble finding a shaded spot for my wireless thermometer :)

Nah I just slap the thing on a scaff pole and stick it on the roof of this portacabin office.

Real technical me.

If you leave a thermometer out in the sun, the temperature it reads tells you more about the material the thermometer is made from and attached to rather than what the ambient temperature is. You want the air temperature, not the concrete/sunlounger/grass temperature (which can all vary from the air temperature ach each other by 10c/18F plus).

Your thermometer can read warmer on a sunny 12c day in spring than a cloudy 17c day in summer if not sited properly.

The best way to do it is to have the thermometer a small distance from the ground - usually 2 metres - as there is usually an extremely warm layer right next to the ground due to absorbed and re-emitted solar radiation (this is what you usually see distorting themometers upwards at eg Wembley). Have the themometer shaded from all incoming radiation.

Of course if you really want the temperature where you are, I'd suggest a thermometer isn't really necessary and you assume 37c.

Interesting post. It makes me wonder what the hell we are actually trying to measure.

Where does ambient temperature actually reside? Is it relevant to us?

Interesting post. It makes me wonder what the hell we are actually trying to measure.

Where does ambient temperature actually reside? Is it relevant to us?

When we measure ambient temperature we want it to be objective - free from human experience and local factors. How everything else feels things.

The problem with how we feel temperature is that you have at least five other variables that have an effect equivalent to 2-5c, that are affected by local factors. Sunshine, humidity, windchill, nearby reflected sunlight and bodymass all affect how we feel things. Most people feel hotter in a humid 18c airmass than a dry 22c one.

You can't really expect weather forecasters to explain all that day-to-day which is why they give the less variable shaded-air temperature.

Mine keeps losing the wireless connection to outside and what posters have been saying about temperature is true. You do need to site the remote unit in the shade and off the ground slightly. Also, tells you FA about the wind speed I fancy young man??

Guest Parry aka GOD
Mine keeps losing the wireless connection to outside and what posters have been saying about temperature is true. You do need to site the remote unit in the shade and off the ground slightly. Also, tells you FA about the wind speed I fancy young man??

Which one do you have?