House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Patfig

100w Light Bulbs Phased Out

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20090831/tuk-10...ut-dba1618.html

Using these super energy efficientlight bulbs could save you 37 quid according to the report ( it doesnt say over what time scale).

I would reserver the right to spend the extra money and have an old fashioned 100W lght bulb. What a load of total f_cking w@nk, the customer is always right ( my @rse) :angry: :angry:

Light bulbs? feck that candles were fine for 1000s of years im not changing.

Using these super energy efficientlight bulbs could save you 37 quid according to the report ( it doesnt say over what time scale).

I would reserver the right to spend the extra money and have an old fashioned 100W lght bulb. What a load of total f_cking w@nk, the customer is always right ( my @rse) :angry: :angry:

I tend to agree, the main issue being the crap light quality.

I am quite sure the TFH conspiracy nuts will be going on about mind control devices and Ethernet over mains links to big brother being built into the newer high efficiency units.

Personally, I haven't bought a 100W bulb fo many years. 60W is bright enough, and in most places 40W.

If you want more light, put up a triple fitting and use 3 x bulbs.

Low energy bulbs are much, much better now. I had some of the early ones, they were rubbish.

Guest Steve Cook

Sod-all to do with saving the planet.

Everything to do with saving energy in anticipation of the energy crunch to come.

Eventually, this will end with energy rationing....then blackouts......then social unrest.

Which is why we are also simultaneously getting a clawing-back of civil liberties in anticipation of the social unrest to come

Wakey wakey

Guest KingCharles1st

I would like to get the Labour party, stick them on huge 100 metre high electrically powered spikes (up the ****) and then use them instead of street lamps. Imagine the lovely incandescent glow given off- lovely!

Job done

No choice? Halogen or LED.

Or traditional.

You wont be able to drive your f_ckin car next unless it is deemed worthy.

Next you wont be bale to eat fatty food in case you are a burden on the NHS, what a load of sh1te

I have had energy saving bulbs for ages, yet my leccy bill never went down.

Guest Steve Cook
I would like to get the Labour party, stick them on huge 100 metre high electrically powered spikes (up the ****) and then use them instead of street lamps. Imagine the lovely incandescent glow given off- lovely!

Job done

Whatever any of the differing faces of the ruling elite of our industrial civilisation might tell you, they will all ultimately seek the same outcome. Some seek that outcome whilst justifying it with a narrative of nature red in tooth and claw. Others will seek it whilst wringing their hands and telling you that they "care".

In the end, it hardly matters. We will get the same outcome....

Guest Steve Cook
I have had energy saving bulbs for ages, yet my leccy bill never went down.

Of course it didn't. This is the central dissonance, the central paradox at the very heart of our global economic model.

On the one hand, we need to save energy and other resources in the face of an emerging energy/resource crisis. On the other hand, any real savings in energy/resources equates to a real contraction in the amount of economic activity in the world. Given our usury-based monetary system, our economies must continue to grow to service the borrowings from future growth that such lending represents

It's a conundrum aint it.....

I have enough normal bulbs for at least 20 years because I have been buying them up.

By then there actually may be a better bulb, not that inferior ugly thing that is being foisted upon us and, like an old valve set, needs to "warm up".

Sod-all to do with saving the planet.

Everything to do with saving energy in anticipation of the energy crunch to come.

Eventually, this will end with energy rationing....then blackouts......then social unrest.

Which is why we are also simultaneously getting a clawing-back of civil liberties in anticipation of the social unrest to come

Wakey wakey

Will it be torches and pitchforks? Think of all the CO2 you get off a burning faggot.

These "energy efficient" lightbulbs might be fine in warm countries. But in cold countries like ours the energy you save ("wasted" heat) will be made up for an increased need for central heating (mainly increasing our dependence on gas). Oh, and you've just paid over the odds for your lightbulb. :angry:

Guest Skinty

What about the 100 watt light bulbs for my lava lamp?

Low energy light bulbs are a lot better now, you just have to keep them on all the time. Which makes me wonder whether or not they actually save energy.

I have enough normal bulbs for at least 20 years because I have been buying them up.

By then there actually may be a better bulb, not that inferior ugly thing that is being foisted upon us and, like an old valve set, needs to "warm up".

I don't think they do any more. Most of the people complaining about these bulbs seem to have tried them about 12 years ago and decided they were rubbish, but they've improved a lot since then.

I don't think they do any more. Most of the people complaining about these bulbs seem to have tried them about 12 years ago and decided they were rubbish, but they've improved a lot since then.

Yes they do as I have some in my dining room (special offer out of the paper earlier in the year), if I turn them on to go across the room to get something they still haven't got up to full power by the time I am turning them off.

I thought I would try out this new bulb for myself and having done so I can say they are rubbish.

If we were all using these then if somebody invented a lightbulb that didn't need to warm up it would be hailed as the best invention of the decade. Instead we are junking it for an inferior product.

Fitted three yesterday in a single ceiling mount and they are surprisingly good light-wise. No delay in turning on.

Only problem, they don't work with the dimmer switch. Full on or nowt.

Are they still full of mercury?

This man isn't impressed:

Yes they do as I have some in my dining room (special offer out of the paper earlier in the year), if I turn them on to go across the room to get something they still haven't got up to full power by the time I am turning them off.

... and? Did you stub your toe because you couldn't see where you were going? Did you have to get down on your hands and knees to find what you were looking for because you couldn't see through the mirk?

I thought I would try out this new bulb for myself and having done so I can say they are rubbish.

Fair enough. Most of my bulbs are low-energy ones and I can't say I noticed any difference after a day or two. That could be because the crappy light-fittings in my (rented) flat stop most of the light getting out anyway.

Fitted three yesterday in a single ceiling mount and they are surprisingly good light-wise. No delay in turning on.

You can't use the 'normal' low energy bulbs with a dimmer, I tried, something to do with the impedance. There are dimmer-bulbs but they cost more.

I stocked up on 60W bulbs purely to use with my triple ceiling mount / dimmer combo.

And is this not a backwards step?

Surprised no delay in turning on. As I say mine were this year's, reputable make. I doubt my electricity's any slower.

... and? Did you stub your toe because you couldn't see where you were going? Did you have to get down on your hands and knees to find what you were looking for because you couldn't see through the mirk?

It's not as good. Yes I can cope with it like when I was child we coped with gas mantles in the caravan. But why have something that is not as good?

Fair enough. Most of my bulbs are low-energy ones and I can't say I noticed any difference after a day or two. That could be because the crappy light-fittings in my (rented) flat stop most of the light getting out anyway.

some of these lights are difficult to read under...indeed, you can by "reading friendly" versions...something to do with the spread of the light, or maybe its colour.

Yes, still full of mercury and yes, still difficult to find recycling facilities.

This is a major issue in the US. Here, we just keep chucking them in the garbage. Crazy.