House Price Crash Forum

Slugs

Garry AKA Pod

HOLA441

You wake up to find your kitchen floor covered in Gizz trails, worse, you go to make a brew during From Dusk Till Dawn on a Sunday night, and find one of the ugly little bast@rds in the middle of your kitchen floor.

As you step over it to put the kettle on, having narrowly avoided putting your bare foot onto it, (Shudders just thinking about it), you wonder why God would create something as ugly and pointless as a slug.

I only have one good thing to say about Slugs - they like beer.

Suffice to say I got the Mrs to get rid of it. ;)

HOLA442
HOLA443
You wake up to find your kitchen floor covered in Gizz trails, worse, you go to make a brew during From Dusk Till Dawn on a Sunday night, and find one of the ugly little bast@rds in the middle of your kitchen floor.

As you step over it to put the kettle on, having narrowly avoided putting your bare foot onto it, (Shudders just thinking about it), you wonder why God would create something as ugly and pointless as a slug.

They were not created by god because no such entity exists - they evolved along with every other lifeform on earth, past and present. <ducks to avoid flying bibles>

You were quite lucky. You could have stepped on it while wearing socks. Now that's nasty :(

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
Guest UK Debt Slave
Funnily enough the slug said the same thing to me about some humans.

My disproof of the existence of God is the wasp

The most pointless, annoying creature ever. British summer is always tainted by the appearance of unruly wasps dive bombing your beer, munching your picnic or trying to land on your face while you sup your beverage.

They are an absolute menace

HOLA447
My disproof of the existence of God is the wasp

The most pointless, annoying creature ever. British summer is always tainted by the appearance of unruly wasps dive bombing your beer, munching your picnic or trying to land on your face while you sup your beverage.

They are an absolute menace

There is a common theme here. The bloody insects are after our Alcohol!

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
Guest absolutezero

Centipedes are my nightmare.

The only thing that actually scares me.

Slugs are nature's dustbin men. They eat all the crap left behind and tidy up.

HOLA4411
Centipedes are my nightmare.

The only thing that actually scares me.

Slugs are nature's dustbin men. They eat all the crap left behind and tidy up.

I hardly think leaving those shiney trails is being tidy. They also fail to distinguish between a weed and a lettuce.

I think I've seen a grad total of 4 centipedes in my life, and a few of them could have been millivanillipedes.

HOLA4412
Guest absolutezero
I hardly think leaving those shiney trails is being tidy. They also fail to distinguish between a weed and a lettuce.

I think I've seen a grad total of 4 centipedes in my life, and a few of them could have been millivanillipedes.

I'm fine with millivanillipedes. It's centipedes I can't cope with.

There's a "giant centipede" video on YouTube. It eats a mouse or bird or something. Look it up. I can't bear to watch it so I'm not linking.... :ph34r:

HOLA4413
I'm fine with millivanillipedes. It's centipedes I can't cope with.

There's a "giant centipede" video on YouTube. It eats a mouse or bird or something. Look it up. I can't bear to watch it so I'm not linking.... :ph34r:

I just had to go and find it, didn't I :(

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
I would have thought HPC would be more generous towards slugs.

What did the slug say to the snail? "I hope you didn't get that on interest-only".

:lol:

I have more of an issue with snails than with slugs. They use the decked back garden as some sort of east-west superhighway,and in large enough numbers that it's difficult to go out for a fag at night without treading on one or two of the little buggers. I actually don't particularly enjoy killing them, or anything really (apart from for those vile little moths that want to eat my clothes) so always get a slight pang of remorse when I hear the fatal crunch.

HOLA4416
Guest DisposableHeroes

When I wake up in the morning, I sometimes find Jizz trails all over my bedroom window.

I digress, getting back on the topic thread. Snails have been eating my tomatoes and chives, little bleeders.

HOLA4417
Guest AuntJess
If that's the only reason, then I'm starting to feel a tad sorry for the blighters.

The world seems to have evolved so that many jobs are taken care of. If dead animals - for eg - were left lying around, imagine the stink, yet a host of living organisms get rid of it and use it for their own good, one way or another.

Slugs are part of the food chain: they feed many useful creatures and their destructive tendencies are useful when one wants certain things got rid of. Sadly they can't discriminate between useful - to humans - plants...and weeds.

I treat mine to a pleasant death - beer traps - or put them on a ledge where the birds can get at them.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
The world seems to have evolved so that many jobs are taken care of. If dead animals - for eg - were left lying around, imagine the stink, yet a host of living organisms get rid of it and use it for their own good, one way or another.

Slugs are part of the food chain: they feed many useful creatures and their destructive tendencies are useful when one wants certain things got rid of. Sadly they can't discriminate between useful - to humans - plants...and weeds.

Having just got back from hol to find my cabbage's ravaged by cabbage white butterfly caterpillars I'd nominate those fluttering little white b@$*ards for extinction! (also, I must get a finer mesh net for next year)

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Glad it's not just me who gets the occasional gastropod in his kitchen.

A few years ago, while going downstairs in the middle of the night to get a glass of water, I trod on one the little buggers in my bare feet. Not the most pleasant feeling in the world.

The seem to love cat food, as there is often a trail or two going to and from the cat's dish, scavenging for my moggy's leftovers.

There also seems to be more in summer, particularly this time of the year when it's warm and wet. I don't usually get them in winter.

HOLA4423
you wonder why God would create something as ugly and pointless as a slug.

I was reading about intestinal worms recently, and the complexity of their lifecycle got me thinking the other way. Consider the complexity of the life of the threadworm:

After mating, the male dies. The female migrates to the anus and emerges, usually during the night, to deposit about 10,000 to 20,000 eggs in the perianal area (around the anus). She then secretes a substance which causes a very strong itching sensation, inciting the host to scratch the area and thus transfer some of the eggs to the fingers. Eggs can also be transferred to cloth, toys, and the bathtub. Once ingested orally, the larvae hatch and migrate back to the intestine, growing to maturity in 30-45 days. The eggs can survive for 2 to 3 weeks on their own outside of the human body. In some cases, the larvae will hatch in the peri-******** area and travel back inside the anus, up the rectum, and back into the intestines where they mature.

... or of the intestinal roundworm

Adult A.lumbricoides an A.suum live in the small intestine. A female A.lumbricoides can produce up to 200,000 eggs a day, though the number of eggs produced per female worm is lower where there are large number of worms present in the gut, a phenomenon called density dependent fecundity. When an egg is passed into the environment it develops into a third stage larva in about 10 days, the rate depending on the temperature and relative humidity. This typically takes place on the soil, which is why A.lumbricoides is classified with Trichuris trichiura and the hookworms Necator americanus and Ancylostoma duodenale as soil-transmitted helminths. It is estimated that some 1.2 billion people are infected with A.lumbricoides. It is estimated that there are 43,000 tons of eggs are laid per year in human feces.

Infections with A.lumbricoides occur by the accidental ingestion of mature, embryonated eggs, typically in food or on fingers. The egg hatches in the intestine, penetrates the mucosa and passes via the portal blood vessels to the lungs. There the larva breaks out into the alveoli and is coughed up and swallowed. If large numbers of larvae are present this can cause verminous pneumonia. The larvae then pass though the stomach again and grow to become adult worms in the small intestine. A female A.lumbricoides can grow up to 40 cm long and weigh 9 g. An adult male worm is about half the weight of a female and up to 30 cm long. Large numbers of worms can accumulate in the intestine which can cause intestinal obstruction, or they can migrate into the bile duct or pancreatic duct and cause obstruction there.

Now this is surely just too complicated to have happened by chance. There must be a designer, a grand architect who has planned all of this meticulously. Not only that, but it looks like he's really got a big grudge against us humans.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
Guest AuntJess
Slugs and snails. Show them no pity.

They are after our food and our flowers.

Seek out and kill.

They are after food. There is merely a conflict of interests. :(

Archived