House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mega

For Sale 1 Chinook...spares Or Repair

option A:

Leave the helicopter unguarded then return after the Taliban have covered it in IED's and setup good places to take pot shots at you. - Dead troops

Option B:

Leave a small contingent to guard it. Sitting ducks. - Dead troops

Option C:

Blow it up, run away...

Non are very appealing.

that chinook would have been used to insert troops into a hostile area that couldn't be reached by vehicle with any degree of safety, and probably some distance from a camp.

hard landing means can't fly. Hostile area means unrecoverable. Wasn't even canabalised for valueble/required parts because of area and distance. Only option is to destroy it and prevent it falling into enemy hands.

If it was inserting troops for an operation, there were not enough on board to hold a chinook in open ground (only place it can land) even if it were reachable by recovery assets.

option A:

Leave the helicopter unguarded then return after the Taliban have covered it in IED's and setup good places to take pot shots at you. - Dead troops

Option B:

Leave a small contingent to guard it. Sitting ducks. - Dead troops

Option C:

Blow it up, run away...

Non are very appealing.

Option D:

Lets get the fk out of Afghanistan, its none of our bloody business. If they build a "terrorist training camp" there, throw a few tomahawks at them from a safe distance.

Option D:

Lets get the fk out of Afghanistan, its none of our bloody business. If they build a "terrorist training camp" there, throw a few tomahawks at them from a safe distance.

that would be the option supported by 95% of the british populace, but then we are not interested in oil, dope or helping obumma to rule the world. Thats why our politicios continue to do things on behalf of us that disgusts us, they have their own agenda regardless of the electorates opinions.

that chinook would have been used to insert troops into a hostile area that couldn't be reached by vehicle with any degree of safety, and probably some distance from a camp.

hard landing means can't fly. Hostile area means unrecoverable. Wasn't even canabalised for valueble/required parts because of area and distance. Only option is to destroy it and prevent it falling into enemy hands.

If it was inserting troops for an operation, there were not enough on board to hold a chinook in open ground (only place it can land) even if it were reachable by recovery assets.

Very accurate, sounds like someone with similar past employment to myself. However, I would add that, in my experience, the 'hard landing' is just as likely to be pilot error as instrument or environmental reasons.

that would be the option supported by 95% of the british populace, but then we are not interested in oil, dope or helping obumma to rule the world. Thats why our politicios continue to do things on behalf of us that disgusts us, they have their own agenda regardless of the electorates opinions.

The whole situation is absurd, we have young men and women dying in inadequate armor and vehicles that would cost *only* a few million to fix (a tiny tiny fraction of what we're willing to spend on bailing out banks) - fighting a war against an emotion half way round the world.

I don't know who I blame more, the daft public for paying for this crap or the daft soldiers and armed forces for actually going through with it and sacrificing themselves. Apparently New Zealand is going to be contributing a small force now, what the hell is the PM thinking! :angry:

Very accurate, sounds like someone with similar past employment to myself. However, I would add that, in my experience, the 'hard landing' is just as likely to be pilot error as instrument or environmental reasons.

agree, and in my opinion most likely pilot error hence the investigation.

looks like the pilot landed badly on uneven ground, badly being badly judged.

"The Chinook suffered damage to the undercarriage, nose and front rotor, the MoD added.

The four crew and 15 soldiers from the 2 Rifles battlegroup were unharmed.

The Chinook had been carrying the troops to a site six miles (10km) east of Sangin at 0530 on Sunday.

The MoD said that because of where the Chinook had come down, and the environment it was in, it was not possible to safely recover the aircraft.

Military personnel with explosives deliberately destroyed the helicopter. The cause of the hard landing is under investigation, although it is not thought to have been caused by enemy fire."

This story has exactly what to do with house prices and the economy ?

This story has exactly what to do with house prices and the economy ?

exactly nothing as far as I can tell.

don't you ever talk about anything other than house prices?

if not, oh how those long winter months must fly by for your oh :lol:

Option D:

Hmmmmm.

You may be onto something...

exactly nothing as far as I can tell.

don't you ever talk about anything other than house prices?

if not, oh how those long winter months must fly by for your oh :lol:

I have plenty of other things to talk about and a war which has nothing to do with me is just not one of them.

FWIW I did find the story somewhat amusing. It's like a bad Paddy Irish man joke. ;)

FWIW, the American General in charge over there says they cant win. (BBC R4 this morning).

quelle surprise.

whats the bet if US pulls out, we go too....so much for the cause.

If they can read a newspaper from space, you'd think some full-on satellite observation would show up Terry Taliban, and we could ICBM them from a sub somewhere. Repeat until finished.

If it's Vietnam style, then getting out and negotiating peace is the only other option.

TFH

More than likely a Lazer Guided Munition of significant size to destroy the fuselage and any fitted eqiuipment of interest to long haired bearded aviation entusiast of the local population.

One would think that the Afg Aviation spotters club are a few members short this morning.

With the level of damage repair in situ with gearbox, rotorhead, rotor blades, and shaft changes is a non option....destroying it was the only option.

these things are crashing anyway, why not send the 8 hangared up cos they are "unsafe".

I love these threads. All the Full Mental Jackets respond so you know who to avoid in future :lol: