House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Job Centres Overcrowded - Face To Face Meetings Not Possible

jobcentreovercrowded.jpg

Interesting little article from the NOTW today, job centres are abondoning the fortnightly signing on process and claims are being processed over the phone or by post.

Viva recovery.

On one work in a job centre prepared to state if this report is accurate or not?

Is the system on the brink of meltdown?

jobcentreovercrowded.jpg

Interesting little article from the NOTW today, job centres are abondoning the fortnightly signing on process and claims are being processed over the phone or by post.

Viva recovery.

On one work in a job centre prepared to state if this report is accurate or not?

Is the system on the brink of meltdown?

Overcrowding is the least of their problems. Where are they going to get the money to pay for all these benefits?

Overcrowding is the least of their problems. Where are they going to get the money to pay for all these benefits?

Come now, we all know that that's no problem at all! As Bernanke would say, we have something called a printing press.

The local jobcentre was closed last year. The only remaining one in the borough has very long queues, and you get maybe 5 minutes with an 'advisor' at best. However I can't see any sign of them scrapping the interviews and sign-on procedure.

If you go along in a suit, my first mistake, all they seem to want to do is argue with you :blink:

I was there for an interview because they "sublet" their facilities to local companies, cheaper than a hotel conference room I guess.

Anyway you arrive, are told to sit and then they were so obscenely rude to people who had arrived on time but were now late because of their checking in system my guess is they are completely overwhelmed, shit scarred of the chav's and taking it out on anyone who appears normal and is shell shocked by the whole process.

If you go along in a suit, my first mistake, all they seem to want to do is argue with you :blink:

I was there for an interview because they "sublet" their facilities to local companies, cheaper than a hotel conference room I guess.

Anyway you arrive, are told to sit and then they were so obscenely rude to people who had arrived on time but were now late because of their checking in system my guess is they are completely overwhelmed, shit scarred of the chav's and taking it out on anyone who appears normal and is shell shocked by the whole process.

Sorry to hear that GG. How long have been you been out of work if you don't mind me asking?

The staff certainly can get upset if you criticise them, but woe betide you if you're ever a minute or two late. Lots of extra forms and proof from you or bye-bye JSA. Ah well, at least there's the vacancy listings...

What certainly hasn't helped, is the closure of Job Centres in smaller, market towns. For instance, I remember reading that the Job Centre in Chard was closed a year or two ago. This means that an unemployed Chard resident would either have to sign on in Taunton (roughly 13 miles away) or Yeovil (15 miles away). Centralising services such as these would cause even greater bottlenecks in centres that were only just coping during the "good times".

Might as well scrap the whole lot and pay the dole by direct debit.

Then have a smaller jobcentre run for the people that actually want jobs... no point trying to get the doley army that flat-out do not want a job under any circumstances to go through the whole process every 2 weeks, waste of time.

i will resort to crime before i go near a job center and sign on.

So you saying if your going to sign on turn up with a shell suit and a couple of cans of lager to drink whilst you wait?

What certainly hasn't helped, is the closure of Job Centres in smaller, market towns. For instance, I remember reading that the Job Centre in Chard was closed a year or two ago. This means that an unemployed Chard resident would either have to sign on in Taunton (roughly 13 miles away) or Yeovil (15 miles away). Centralising services such as these would cause even greater bottlenecks in centres that were only just coping during the "good times".

Do you know how much the bus fare is for that trip? Can you claim travel expenses back?

For those on a limited budget seems a very expensive day out.

I don't think you can claim the busfare, they expect you to walk i would imagine, a long time ago I went to claim childbenefit, something that even posh and becks are entitled to so not doing me any favors and got told I needed to have an interview as i'd been out of the country, anyway they suggested an unsuitable time (baby needed feeding) and then a location 2 buses away and if I didn't like it I could go without, this was their attitude to a married woman, 30 years old educated, god knows how the 17 year olds get treated.

The shell suit I don't have, but I would need a stiff drink before I'd sign on and frankly would go on the game first, at least I could set the price at which I get fcuked over.

Edited by Girly girl

The shell suit I don't have, but I would need a stiff drink before I'd sign on and frankly would go on the game first, at least I could set the price at which I get fcuked over.

Really you'd rather have sex for money than sign on!!!!

I don't think you can claim the busfare, they expect you to walk i would imagine, a long time ago I went to claim childbenefit, something that even posh and becks are entitled to so not doing me any favors and got told I needed to have an interview as i'd been out of the country, anyway they suggested an unsuitable time (baby needed feeding) and then a location 2 buses away and if I didn't like it I could go without, this was their attitude to a married woman, 30 years old educated, god knows how the 17 year olds get treated.

:lol:

Just thinking about putting myself in the hands of these lot spurs me on to work harder so I never have to be there.

Talk about depressing, this must be hideous for 1st time unemployed who, as you say, turn up in a suit expecting to engage in a professional transaction and find they've been cast down amongst the dregs.

Feel sorry anyone using our local Jobcentre. Its like the local criminal court with lots of chav's outside, smoking. They might as well just concentrate on those that want jobs, and post the chav's their benefit cheques.

Has this turned into the Hyacinth Bucket forum?

I have time off work every few years (through choice) and when I decide to start looking for jobs again I am straight down the job centre to claim contributions-based JSA for 6 months.

As I am actively looking for work (and can evidence it) the fortnightly sit down is a formality as as are the initial and 3 month interviews (never had a 6 month one).

For over £80 a week of free moeny (which I see as a tax rebate) why wouldn't you?

Two things:

i) Don't wear a suit

ii) If you're in a profession then don't expect them to find you a job

Has this turned into the Hyacinth Bucket forum?

I have time off work every few years (through choice) and when I decide to start looking for jobs again I am straight down the job centre to claim contributions-based JSA for 6 months.

As I am actively looking for work (and can evidence it) the fortnightly sit down is a formality as as are the initial and 3 month interviews (never had a 6 month one).

For over £80 a week of free moeny (which I see as a tax rebate) why wouldn't you?

Two things:

i) Don't wear a suit

ii) If you're in a profession then don't expect them to find you a job

and...

don`t ........ look at, sit near or for god`s even `think of` using the phones !!!!!!!

Edited by douggggy

I was out of work 4 years ago and even then you had to use a phone in the JC because they didn't have the staff. As for the two weekly job review, you go in, place your book on the table, walk slowly away from the desk and wait to be called. You are then asked what you have been doing which is double checked against what you have written down, sign, and you're off. When you have a full job review every three months it is basically the same thing but goes on for 30 minutes. If you don't want a job all you have to say is your only skill is a centre lathe operator (not cnc) and you have no transport.

I managed a full 18 months doing this whilst i was doing some 'A' levels so i could go to uni.

Tips:

-Act a bit daft

-Be nice to all staff

- Make sure you give the staff the illusion that they are superior

Warning: If you argue with them they will make your life hell. Before you can say job centre + they will have you signing everyday and going to a course on how to stick stamps on envelopes.

I expect that the over 50's will soon not need to sign on, followed by the over 40's.

Currently, men over 60 don't need to sign on.

Real unemployment is probably over 5 million with less than 500k jobs available, many will never work again.

I was out of work 4 years ago and even then you had to use a phone in the JC because they didn't have the staff. As for the two weekly job review, you go in, place your book on the table, walk slowly away from the desk and wait to be called. You are then asked what you have been doing which is double checked against what you have written down, sign, and you're off. When you have a full job review every three months it is basically the same thing but goes on for 30 minutes. If you don't want a job all you have to say is your only skill is a centre lathe operator (not cnc) and you have no transport.

I managed a full 18 months doing this whilst i was doing some 'A' levels so i could go to uni.

Tips:

-Act a bit daft

-Be nice to all staff

- Make sure you give the staff the illusion that they are superior

Warning: If you argue with them they will make your life hell. Before you can say job centre + they will have you signing everyday and going to a course on how to stick stamps on envelopes.

Being a civil servant myself I just wish more of the general public (or 'stakeholders' as we have to call them :puke:) followed your simple rules :rolleyes:

I was once offered a supervisors job in a job centre but took a job paying a lot less as I couldn't face working in such a hell hole. It really is the pits.

Can you do that? Choose the nominal start date of your unemployment I mean? Or will they just say the clock started ticking from the day you last worked, rather than when you choose to go to the job centre to start your JSA claim?

I expect that the over 50's will soon not need to sign on, followed by the over 40's.

Currently, men over 60 don't need to sign on.

Real unemployment is probably over 5 million with less than 500k jobs available, many will never work again.

Thanks. Thats reassuring to know. :unsure:

I shall endeavour to remain self employed for ever more.

Guest skullingtonjoe
Being a civil servant myself I just wish more of the general public (or 'stakeholders' as we have to call them :puke:) followed your simple rules :rolleyes:

I was once offered a supervisors job in a job centre but took a job paying a lot less as I couldn't face working in such a hell hole. It really is the pits.

`Stakeholders`? I thought it was `customers` (nobody says `clients` anymore).

Just you wait until they start calling them `associates` :lol: