House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Patfig

The Great British Pound

Just wandered what peoples thoughts were. Is all of this printing finally going to cause a devaluation?

I Suspect by the end od September it will be one for one with the EURO,And down to 140ish v the greenback.

It actually whent back up a little on Friday v the €. Our markets are closed tomorrow but the other markets are open of course, so a bit of 'pent-up' demand or 'sell' on Tuesday maybe.

It actually whent back up a little on Friday v the €. Our markets are closed tomorrow but the other markets are open of course, so a bit of 'pent-up' demand or 'sell' on Tuesday maybe.

You think the forex markets sleep because the UK has a holiday? :D

10pm tonight the slaughter begins again. Bend over, savers.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=new...id=aWiRNy947lrs

U.K. Pound Declines Against Dollar, Euro as Economy Contracts

By Lukanyo Mnyanda Aug. 29 (Bloomberg) -- The pound declined for a fourth week against the dollar as reports added to concern the U.K.’s worst recession since World War II may have further to run, reducing demand for the nation’s assets.

You think the forex markets sleep because the UK has a holiday?

10pm tonight the slaughter begins again. Bend over, savers.

Arrrghhh! Not again!

BrownKY.jpg

+2

the parity-pound cometh....... :D

before xmas VWYF. ;)

So same story as last year but starting from even lower... I hope not. I didn't have much faith in the pound but after the last quarter of 2008 I thought 2009 was euro's turn to take a beating.

So same story as last year but starting from even lower... I hope not. I didn't have much faith in the pound but after the last quarter of 2008 I thought 2009 was euro's turn to take a beating.

France & Germany are 'out of recession', Germany is one of if not the largest exporter per capita in the world, the ECB has stopped printing but in the UK we have a government and CB bent on devaluation to maintain competitive advantage. Go figure.

Edited by chris c-t

France & Germany are 'out of recession', Germany is one of if not the largest exporter per capita in the world, the ECB has stopped printing but in the UK we have a government and CB bent on devaluation to maintain competitive advantage. Go figure.

Maybe it was all wishful thinking. I have a UK bond maturing in November but have now moved back to Spain. I'm not asking for much, just for the pound to stay above the 1.15 exchange rate so that I don't get a bit depressed when I convert my money into euros.

Why'd you take the graph down? Looked interesting.

well, I could not find what I wanted... this was not the index. I could show the GBP/USD for the same period though if interested.

EDIT: ok here it is with a few of my own symbols..

gbp2.jpg

Edited by chris c-t

well, I could not find what I wanted... this was not the index. I could show the GBP/USD for the same period though if interested.

Nah I Know what the $ has been doing - but that's two weak currencies IMO. My guess is the $ will prove even weaker than £ in coming months, hence my scepticism about the thread.

But I would be quite interested in 12 months of £ versus a basket of currencies all on one graph if there were such a thing.

Serious question

Any recommendations as to what we (young couple baby on the way) should do with our roughly £150K in savings/inheritance, in sterling curently in the bank? (well 100K of it is still tied up legally in red tape, being inherited money, but we should have it by say mid-September)

So where to put it then?!

Would it be better off in another currency then or dare i say the big shiney G word?

Don't want to see the money for a month and then watch it become nearly worthless.

Suggestions very welcome.

Serious question

Any recommendations as to what we (young couple baby on the way) should do with our roughly £150K in savings/inheritance, in sterling curently in the bank? (well 100K of it is still tied up legally in red tape, being inherited money, but we should have it by say mid-September)

Would it be better off in another currency then or dare i say the big shiney G word?

Don't want to see the money for a month and then watch it become nearly worthless.

I like silver at the moment. FWIW

Serious question

I started a similar thread a few days ago....got some interesting replies. Concensus seemed to be that Other currencies could be considered: US$ but with reservations. Euro, Au$, Brazilian...., Jap yen, Canadian $ Nor Krone. Apart from the US$ are they all relatively too strong v £ currently to be worth it? Is the US$ a basket case too and best avoided. THe main issue with all currencies is lack of interest and the cost of converting out and back in. It needs a BIG crash to be worth it.

Shiny metals came up....Isn't ther a danger of buying the yellow one when it is pricey. Maybe silver is the way to go!!!!

I ended up feeling just as confused as when I started. Like 'Our Graham' used to say in Blind Date: "It's over to you!"