House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
waitingscot

Something That Really Annoys Me!

Rich middle-aged people you get on TV complaining about their aged parents' care costs. They always think it is a terrible affront that their mother's half a million pound house should go toward paying for her care. But when someone is old and can no longer use the house and needs to go into care, why should its value not be used to pay the considerable cost of care? The children somehow think it is fair that I should pay for their parents' care out of my taxes instead.

And the way the media present the issue is sick - focussing on the aged parent's declining health and how she loved the home when she was younger. Yeah cut the crap! All these people are interested in is the inheritance, and offloading their parents on the state. Yet the media - especially the BBC - always present the children as victims at the mercy of the cruel state who want to take away the old family home. Greedy bastards that's all. If they were half decent children I am sure many of these people could look after their parents in their own home.

Edited by waitingscot

Rich middle-aged people you get on TV complaining about their aged parents' care costs. They always think it is a terrible affront that their mother's half a million pound house should go toward paying for her care. But when someone is old and can no longer use the house and needs to go into care, why should its value not be used to pay the considerable cost of care? The children somehow think it is fair that I should pay for their parents' care out of my taxes instead.

And the way the media present the issue is sick - focussing on the aged parent's declining health and how she loved the home when she was younger. Yeah cut the crap! All these people are interested in is the inheritance, and offloading their parents on the state. Yet the media - especially the BCC - always present the children as victims at the mercy of the cruel state who want to take away the old family home. Greedy bastards that's all. If they were half decent children I am sure many of these people could look after their parents in their own home.

My family and Mr B's have sold two family homes to pay for care, and none of us has bitched about it. On the contrary, while nobody is ecstatic about paying huge weekly fees, we were all glad not to have to involve social services at all.

We were able to take far more time and care over choosing a home, not just any old place with a vacant room that smells of wee.

Everyone else I know in the same situation (quite a few) has felt the same.

And FWIW, I don't know anyone who's taken this decision remotely lightly. Very often the decision to go down the care home route is only made when there is, finally, absolutely no other option. This is usually because someone is very frail and needs lifting (by two people) several times a day, or because they need literally 24/7 supervision because of dementia.

Guest happy?

And the way the media present the issue is sick - focussing on the aged parent's declining health and how she loved the home when she was younger. Yeah cut the crap! All these people are interested in is the inheritance, and offloading their parents on the state. Yet the media - especially the BBC - always present the children as victims at the mercy of the cruel state who want to take away the old family home. Greedy bastards that's all. If they were half decent children I am sure many of these people could look after their parents in their own home.

Father is under the new 'Victorian' conservatory we installed to make the house more attractive to buyers - it's so much more spacious and lets the light in.

We found we got a sale in no time.

The issue of care fees didn't arise.

Two birds, one stone.

My family and Mr B's have sold two family homes to pay for care, and none of us has bitched about it. On the contrary, while nobody is ecstatic about paying huge weekly fees, we were all glad not to have to involve social services at all.

We were able to take far more time and care over choosing a home, not just any old place with a vacant room that smells of wee.

Everyone else I know in the same situation (quite a few) has felt the same.

And FWIW, I don't know anyone who's taken this decision remotely lightly. Very often the decision to go down the care home route is only made when there is, finally, absolutely no other option. This is usually because someone is very frail and needs lifting (by two people) several times a day, or because they need literally 24/7 supervision because of dementia.

Well done for getting better care for your parents and not trying to offload them while pocketing the rest. Contrast:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/ondeman...16x9&bbwm=1

Absolutely right. As a tax payer I don't see why I should subsidise such people's inheritance. If an older person is no longer able to live in their house then what is wrong with selling it to pay their care home fees. If their children aren't happy with this then they should look after them themselves.

Absolutely right. As a tax payer I don't see why I should subsidise such people's inheritance. If an older person is no longer able to live in their house then what is wrong with selling it to pay their care home fees. If their children aren't happy with this then they should look after them themselves.

It is just crazy beyond belief. The worst about it is the way the media present it as some sort modern day tragedy that the house should be sold. Always talking about "the family home" in wistful tones. But it's not a "family home" any more, the children just have pound signs in their eyes. And when the parent dies they will sell it pretty shrap, and pocket the money themselves.

And then the reports inevitably go on about the old person's poor health - sad but totally irrelevant to the issue of why I should be giving my hard earned money to these people and their children.

People's sense of justice is totally warped if they think we should be insuring the inheritance of wealthy people while letting people in real need go without, and taxing the working population ever harder to accomplish this transfer to the wealthy.

It really amazes me that these people have no shame who appear on TV to argue taxpayers should effectively be subsidising their inheritance as you say.

course, if the old timer had fallen on hard times in the past, the Government would have picked up the mortgage interest till the job reappeared.

same with todays lot...kept in their homes, interest paid by taxpayer....I would expect a return later in the life of this asset that was preserved in a poor investors hands by the taxpayer.

renters get nothing in comparison, and they will have nothing to fall back on.

if people's parents need to be looked after it should be down to their children to supply that care, if they do not want to or are not prepared to do this then yes the people's property and wealth should be used to pay for this care , the thing i object to is the cost of this so called care , these care homes should be govt run on a non profit making basis so it is affordable to everybody not a privatised profit making system where they cut back on the care they provide to make more and more profit each year

if people's parents need to be looked after it should be down to their children to supply that care, if they do not want to or are not prepared to do this then yes the people's property and wealth should be used to pay for this care , the thing i object to is the cost of this so called care , these care homes should be govt run on a non profit making basis so it is affordable to everybody not a privatised profit making system where they cut back on the care they provide to make more and more profit each year

Buy to Die

could be a new market.

Guest pioneer31

and their taxes

How do you feel about those people who've never paid a penny into the system? They get it all for free from the taxpayer.

What b***ocks. I take it that you've never cared for someone who has dementia and is doubly incontintent?

and what do you do about your job? Give it up?

I suppose you despise the kids for having a job in the first place.

Edited by pioneer31

Guest pioneer31
if people's parents need to be looked after it should be down to their children to supply that care, if they do not want to or are not prepared to do this then yes the people's property and wealth should be used to pay for this care , the thing i object to is the cost of this so called care

Fine

As long as 'care' includes ALL care?......because at the moment people with dementia have to give up their home to cover the care costs, whilst people with cancer etc are getting it on the NHS.

I agree but but why not add poor middle-aged parents to the list?

Actually, the richer you are the less likely you are to be concerned about receiving an inheritance.

Sensible people , or devious people depending on your opinion, take steps to avoid this problem long before it occurs. They downsize and give the money to the kids long before they need care. In the case of avoiding inheritance tax you need to do this at least seven years before you die (I believe). I'm not sure how long they can go back to take account of the gift with respect to care costs but I suspect that it can't be longer than the tax authorities are able to. Anybody know?

Inheritance tax has been described as a tax you pay when you like the tax man more than your own children. The same could be said of care costs.

In some ways I agree with you. But I can also see how it's unfair for somebody who has worked hard all their lives and built up a considerable nest-egg which they wish to pass on to their children be penalised, while others who have been less conscientious and have nothing get paid for by the state.

Totally agree. It annoys me too when these people go on telly to complain about it. They are indeed greedy bastards.

Guest pioneer31

Anyone care to get really annoyed over people getting all this care for free from the state, having not paid a penny into the system, whilst the 'greedy b***ards' with a home have to sell it?

Is it just a case of the green eyed monster rearing it's head?

Anyone care to get really annoyed over people getting all this care for free from the state, having not paid a penny into the system, ...

No.

Never been jealous of poor people TBH.

Guest pioneer31
No.

Never been jealous of poor people TBH.

You thus prove my point

Just jealous of people who made something of their life.

The green eyed monster is alive and well its seems

For the vast majority of people, non means tested universal care combined with inheritance tax set at a sensible threshold would be in their best interest.

Unfortunately the vast majority of people are incapable of identifying their best interest, they rage against inheritance tax as a tax on death, and bleat inconsolably for their poor parents when their assets are seized to pay for their care.

Shame really.