House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

Time To Move On

Hi all,

As some of you have gathered from my posts over the past few years I am not truly happy, not happy at all to be frank, about living in Swansea.

I don't know why I stay here as I have never been truly happy here, never fitted in and, as a child, was desperate to leave. All my happiness, all my success, both person and career, has been outside of Swansea. It has taken me a few years since my Mother's passing to realise that Swansea is not the place for me - I have no family at all and few friends here, am unable to get any job or life here. Ironically, as sad as it is, I am probably closer to people on this forum than I am to many in Swansea.

Having driven around the pubs and clubs of Swansea tonight, as I have done many times in my life, I realise that I just don't fit in, will never fit in, don't want to fit in and, for some time now, have been wondering why I have tried to fit in - if that makes sense.

Why on earth do I wish to buy an over-priced house in a part of the World where I cannot earn a living, where I have no family and few friends and where, well, I am never going to fit in with the chav culture that is Swansea. I think, as I was born here and as I now have no family, I was looking for roots, for somewhere where I belonged... but the truth is that I don't belong here, never have and never will.

So, to get to the point, I am going to migrate away from this forum as I focus on making a life somewhere else. I am not going to say that I won't pop in from time to time but, for me personally, the time has now come to move on.

I have really enjoyed the threads, topics and conversations about Swansea, Life, the Universe and Everything that we have had in here over the years. It has been fun, sometimes hilarious, and you all have my deepest most heartfelt thanks for lighting up my life - sometimes at the darkest moments. As Dylan says, Time passes... Times passes and it is time to move on.

Best of luck everyone finding your home in Swansea, Cardiff, anywhere in Wales - be happy, be healthy and live ;)

The Masked Tulip.

Lovely post TMT. I've always felt the same about the chav culture and over the last few years have become completely unconcerned about fitting in.

As Russell said, "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt"

I've always enjoyed your posts and am sorry to see you go. I wish you well.

May good luck go with you Mr Tulip.

I have made several such changes, and when I look back I do not regret them and think the timing was either correct or should have been earlier.

There is no "right" place to live or job to do, but at times there are "wrong" ones.

Look in from time to time with your car threads.

Your always welcome in Coed Duon (Blackwood) MT

Edited by superdez

Thats a pretty sad post MT, I really hope you find what your looking for elsewhere. I was a northen lad that moved to west wales as a kid, i know about not fitting in, its unpleasant.

Living in Cardiff now, been trying to buy for years, but have also realised its no place to bring children up. Weve decided on a move back to west wales in a few years, probably putting the house purchase on hold.

What i would say. i understand the reasons, the job prospects are important, and a place has to feel like home. But can you escape the culture, they call it chav culture but its becoming british culture, as its all over britain. knuckle down with your own life. try not to worry what others are doing, theres no joy in it. wheres living your own life has many joys.

Good luck Tulip, pretty honest and open post - life is what you make of it, so if you are unhappy in the paradise that is Swansea, go for it.

Any ideas where you are off to ?

Thanks for your posts and views, I've enjoyed them

I think sometimes we allow ourselves to focus on the bad things too much. Certainly I think visiting this web site a lot can be bad for my moral and well-being. It's too easy to let my unhappiness at house prices become too much of a overwhelming factor in my life. It's not healthy. Makes sense to decide to stay away from the site (not just the Wales forum) entirely for a month and force yourself to go out and do other things - maybe enroll for a part-time course in welding, or conversational French or something. Or join a club - they do Aikido (spelling) and tennis at Bishopston Sports Centre for example.

Hope you feel happier without focusing on this site and doing other things.

Been thinking a lot recently about the pointless way we're all driven to climb the ladder (whether it be property/society/career) etc. and how it never seems to lead to happiness. I'm coming to the conclusion that I should lower my aspirations and buy an average/below average house (i have some savings so wouldn't need a huge mortgage for an average 3 bed semi), quit my job (teacher - takes over my life with the workload and stress) and get an easier and poorer paid job which I could afford if I lowered my house-buying aspirations. Also need to stop worrying about house prices and buying a house at the bottom of the market.

Hope everything works out OK for you. This site will be much the worse without you but I hope you do do what is best for you and feel happier.

Edited by Dave Dribble 2

I think sometimes we allow ourselves to focus on the bad things too much. Certainly I think visiting this web site a lot can be bad for my moral and well-being. It's too easy to let my unhappiness at house prices become too much of a overwhelming factor in my life. It's not healthy. Makes sense to decide to stay away from the site (not just the Wales forum) entirely for a month and force yourself to go out and do other things - maybe enroll for a part-time course in welding, or conversational French or something. Or join a club - they do Aikido (spelling) and tennis at Bishopston Sports Centre for example.

Hope you feel happier without focusing on this site and doing other things.

Been thinking a lot recently about the pointless way we're all driven to climb the ladder (whether it be property/society/career) etc. and how it never seems to lead to happiness. I'm coming to the conclusion that I should lower my aspirations and buy an average/below average house (i have some savings so wouldn't need a huge mortgage for an average 3 bed semi), quit my job (teacher - takes over my life with the workload and stress) and get an easier and poorer paid job which I could afford if I lowered my house-buying aspirations. Also need to stop worrying about house prices and buying a house at the bottom of the market.

Hope everything works out OK for you. This site will be much the worse without you but I hope you do do what is best for you and feel happier.

Hi Tulip, must say I have enjoyed our little chats and I will be sorry to see you leave the forum. Why not wait until the election? I have a feeling property will be "as cheap as chips"

Below is something to give you a general idea of how NuLabour will conduct their campagn!!!

Labour Councillor to Constituent: Wise Up S***head!

The excellent new Welsh Conservative blog Cardiff Blogger has the story of how a Labour councillor in Carmarthen tried to bully a teenage youth into reversing his decision to pull out of a concert in Libya marking the 40th anniversary of Gadaffi's rise to power.

Carmarthen Labour councillor Marc Scaife, who has put his name forward for selection as the party’s parliamentary candidate in Carmarthen East & Dinefwr, left on Wednesday for a controversial tour of Libya with Burry Port Town Band.

The band have been criticised for continuing with the tour – part of the 40th anniversary celebrations of Colonel Muammar Gaddafi coming to power – after the release last week of the man convicted of the Lockerbie bombing.

In the phone message, a man who identifies himself as Marc Scaife, uses highly offensive language to berate a 19-year-old member of the band who pulled out of the Libyan tour at a late stage, creating a perceived security problem.

The caller is heard saying: “Listen very f****** carefully.

You are a f****** idiot…There’s a massive security risk because of you. Do you realise what’s actually going on? Is anything going on in your tiny little mind?

“We are supposed to be playing in front of some of the biggest world leaders out there. Security is 100% tight and it includes the British Royal Family.

“I expect you to sort this f****** thing out. You go up there, you sort it out or expect a call from MI5. All right?

“I’ve had some serious explaining to do because of your irresponsible actions. Call me back as soon as you get this f****** message or I’ll be driving over to your parents’ house tonight to speak to them.

“Wise up, s***head.â€

Charming. Mr Scaife is in the process of wanting to be a Labour parliamentary candidate. I suspect his chances may have been slightly damaged by this. Just my guess, you understand!

Hi all,

As some of you have gathered from my posts over the past few years I am not truly happy, not happy at all to be frank, about living in Swansea.

I don't know why I stay here as I have never been truly happy here, never fitted in and, as a child, was desperate to leave. All my happiness, all my success, both person and career, has been outside of Swansea. It has taken me a few years since my Mother's passing to realise that Swansea is not the place for me - I have no family at all and few friends here, am unable to get any job or life here. Ironically, as sad as it is, I am probably closer to people on this forum than I am to many in Swansea.

Having driven around the pubs and clubs of Swansea tonight, as I have done many times in my life, I realise that I just don't fit in, will never fit in, don't want to fit in and, for some time now, have been wondering why I have tried to fit in - if that makes sense.

Why on earth do I wish to buy an over-priced house in a part of the World where I cannot earn a living, where I have no family and few friends and where, well, I am never going to fit in with the chav culture that is Swansea. I think, as I was born here and as I now have no family, I was looking for roots, for somewhere where I belonged... but the truth is that I don't belong here, never have and never will.

So, to get to the point, I am going to migrate away from this forum as I focus on making a life somewhere else. I am not going to say that I won't pop in from time to time but, for me personally, the time has now come to move on.

I have really enjoyed the threads, topics and conversations about Swansea, Life, the Universe and Everything that we have had in here over the years. It has been fun, sometimes hilarious, and you all have my deepest most heartfelt thanks for lighting up my life - sometimes at the darkest moments. As Dylan says, Time passes... Times passes and it is time to move on.

Best of luck everyone finding your home in Swansea, Cardiff, anywhere in Wales - be happy, be healthy and live ;)

The Masked Tulip.

Tulip you sound a bit tired and emotional. Have a couple of pints of Rev James (wish I could join you), sit down and relax. The play is far from over, tension is mounting and you what ? .......you want to cut and run.

This is one of the few places you inject a daily dose of reality to counter the pygshite overload . Hold on tight me hearty ,things are getting interesting.

Hi all,

The Masked Tulip.

ActuallyI agree with you.

If you're not happy in Swansea and have no family ties or friends here why stay? I will say that it may not be any different elsewhere in the UK or beyond. There are chavs all over, jobs are scarce all over and you can be lonely anywhere in the world.

I do think that visiting this site less often would be a smart move, combine the relentless negativity of HPC.co.uk and your lonliness and the outcome is unlikely to be a particularly happy one.

Whatever you choose to do Bob I wish you all the best.

Hi all,

The Masked Tulip.

Thank you for being so candid and having the courage to write about your unhappiness - I empathise with you completely. I left Wales in the mid eighties – and returned 3 years ago. Before I left, Wales was all I really knew – I had no bench mark - now I see it as a thoroughly miserable insular place to live – though not much different I suspect to other areas in the UK.

When I left these shores it was out of necessity – my dream of getting away from the ‘chav land’ of birth – was not to necessarily own a ‘better house’ – but to locate to a better area that priced chavs out – this cost money – which I couldn’t accumulate in this country - trouble is chavs are mobile these days – nowhere is safe from their polluting excesses.

Leaving the UK was the best thing I ever did – although to be fair I wouldn’t have left unless I needed to – would have stayed and muddled through somehow – just shows how circumstances rather than planning sometimes direct the course of our lives.

I loved my time abroad – made good friends from different cultures – sadly though – we will be unlikely to ever see each other again. Friends are the key to a happy life – good friends I mean – and as you’ve discovered they are rare. My home – real emotional home – is abroad – the affinity I thought I would always have for where I grew up was a crippling delusion that would have eventually crushed the spirit out of me had I stayed.

If I could give you any advice it would be to get out of Wales - and better still - get out of the UK. I went to the middle east because it paid well – and discovered as a bonus - a very low cost of living - how about a whole cooked chicken and enough rice for 4 for £2 or an excellent meal in a Thai, Chinese or Indian restaurant for between £2 and £4 - or - 2 litres of cola for 50P - gasoline 50P/Gallon – fresh fish/prawns/lobster at a local market – no parking charges – no TV license – and paradoxically a sense of freedom – an ease of living – free from the malaise and hostility that seems an increasing feature of UK life . Sunshine in spades – hot in summer though – but you can get used to it. Vibrant bustling eclectic towns and cities – selling everything you could imagine and more. Plus – and a big plus – a hospitality and openness among locals and expats that seems absent here in the UK.

My biggest regrets are not leaving the UK sooner and returning before I needed to.

Bail out if you can – the UK is finished IMO – been declining since the late 60’s -- the evidence is all around…...

But don’t leave this excellent site – like you perhaps – I log in to read the points of view of others – and often learn something useful and make a point of reading your posts when I come across them.

Good luck with whatever you do - but if you can - get out and have an adventure - there's a fascinating world out there.

Thank you for being so candid and having the courage to write about your unhappiness - I empathise with you completely. I left Wales in the mid eighties – and returned 3 years ago. Before I left, Wales was all I really knew – I had no bench mark - now I see it as a thoroughly miserable insular place to live – though not much different I suspect to other areas in the UK.

When I left these shores it was out of necessity – my dream of getting away from the ‘chav land’ of birth – was not to necessarily own a ‘better house’ – but to locate to a better area that priced chavs out – this cost money – which I couldn’t accumulate in this country - trouble is chavs are mobile these days – nowhere is safe from their polluting excesses.

Leaving the UK was the best thing I ever did – although to be fair I wouldn’t have left unless I needed to – would have stayed and muddled through somehow – just shows how circumstances rather than planning sometimes direct the course of our lives.

I loved my time abroad – made good friends from different cultures – sadly though – we will be unlikely to ever see each other again. Friends are the key to a happy life – good friends I mean – and as you’ve discovered they are rare. My home – real emotional home – is abroad – the affinity I thought I would always have for where I grew up was a crippling delusion that would have eventually crushed the spirit out of me had I stayed.

If I could give you any advice it would be to get out of Wales - and better still - get out of the UK. I went to the middle east because it paid well – and discovered as a bonus - a very low cost of living - how about a whole cooked chicken and enough rice for 4 for £2 or an excellent meal in a Thai, Chinese or Indian restaurant for between £2 and £4 - or - 2 litres of cola for 50P - gasoline 50P/Gallon – fresh fish/prawns/lobster at a local market – no parking charges – no TV license – and paradoxically a sense of freedom – an ease of living – free from the malaise and hostility that seems an increasing feature of UK life . Sunshine in spades – hot in summer though – but you can get used to it. Vibrant bustling eclectic towns and cities – selling everything you could imagine and more. Plus – and a big plus – a hospitality and openness among locals and expats that seems absent here in the UK.

My biggest regrets are not leaving the UK sooner and returning before I needed to.

Bail out if you can – the UK is finished IMO – been declining since the late 60’s -- the evidence is all around…...

But don’t leave this excellent site – like you perhaps – I log in to read the points of view of others – and often learn something useful and make a point of reading your posts when I come across them.

Good luck with whatever you do - but if you can - get out and have an adventure - there's a fascinating world out there.

A thoughtful and accurate post which mirrors my own feelings after 10 years overseas.

Britain is a moribund divided country and those who can see the light and have money or the right qualifications are leaving in droves. And who can blame them ? For most of my time in the Uk I was a single man ,in a professional job, earning reasonable money but at the end of every month I was lucky if there was anything left to save. I could only wonder how guys with 3 kids and a large mortgage could cope at all. Trapped in their roles, stressed, overworked, intimidated and in jobs they loathed. What an existence... and that's all it is.

And poor myopic Wales is at the scrag end of that dismal scale.

As I read somewhere recently," take chances, make mistakes.......get messy". But get out if you possibly can.

A thoughtful and accurate post which mirrors my own feelings after 10 years overseas.

Britain is a moribund divided country and those who can see the light and have money or the right qualifications are leaving in droves. And who can blame them ? For most of my time in the Uk I was a single man ,in a professional job, earning reasonable money but at the end of every month I was lucky if there was anything left to save. I could only wonder how guys with 3 kids and a large mortgage could cope at all. Trapped in their roles, stressed, overworked, intimidated and in jobs they loathed. What an existence... and that's all it is.

And poor myopic Wales is at the scrag end of that dismal scale.

As I read somewhere recently," take chances, make mistakes.......get messy". But get out if you possibly can.

Thank you! Nice to learn I'm not alone on this. Hope your post encourages others to make the break and get a better life.

I felt crushed in this oppressive rat race called home - what a misnomer - like you - unable to save and on a treadmill to nowhere - studying at night - working two jobs and trying to build a house with a 15% bridging loan - finally did it.

Later - years of travelling to and from the UK provided enough snapshot evidence that it was in decline - fatally and temporarily opposed by a personal debt mountain. Now the party - if it could ever be described as such - seems to be over - I expect worse to come.

I agree - the UK is divided - purposely it seems to me - except this time things went too far - the debt manacles many dragged through life have finally crippled the nation - the control mechanism is shattered - the shameless attempts to throw money at it and the refusal so far to kick the banks into line - just shows how despicable those in power are and have been over the last few decades. Possibly eyeing up jobs in the 'city' for when they get voted out of office.

IMHO the running of the country by 'politicians' has to end - political historians, Lawyers, bankers and 'creative' accountants have been discredited massively. Why not draw from the industrial, technological, scientific and entrepreneurial talent we have here instead of rewarding the corrupt with bonuses/expenses and grossly underpaying the truly innovative so that they go to where they are appreciated - overseas.

Hi

This thread has prompted me to do my first ever post, even though I've been a member and reading the forum avidly for a long time now.

Excellent posts by jaydee and gus. Thoughtful and moving.

MT, your post made me sad. We feel your pain, don't leave us!

By the way, my daughter starts University in 2 weeks time...... at Swansea :o

Regards to all

Christine

I went to the middle east because it paid well – and discovered as a bonus - a very low cost of living - how about a whole cooked chicken and enough rice for 4 for £2 or an excellent meal in a Thai, Chinese or Indian restaurant for between £2 and £4 - or - 2 litres of cola for 50P - gasoline 50P/Gallon – fresh fish/prawns/lobster at a local market – no parking charges – no TV license – and paradoxically a sense of freedom – an ease of living – free from the malaise and hostility that seems an increasing feature of UK life . Sunshine in spades – hot in summer though – but you can get used to it. Vibrant bustling eclectic towns and cities – selling everything you could imagine and more. Plus – and a big plus – a hospitality and openness among locals and expats that seems absent here in the UK.

With the real bonus of a beheading every other weekend! :P

j/k - I too have been a expat since 1996.

With the real bonus of a beheading every other weekend! :P

j/k - I too have been a expat since 1996.

Fuzzy, what's your point? We know there is no paradise out there; that all these countries have their various problems and it's a matter of trying to find a location that has defects you can live with.

Saudi has its obvious issues, Indonesia has its corruption. Canada has its winters and Oz its back-slapping , laddish sporting obsession.

It's a trade-off and when you choose your country (if you're lucky)you must be aware, with eyes wide-open. I know, many are actually running away from problems (themselves!)and will find no solution in their new country but others can objectively see how the UK is in a serious spiral of moral and economic decline. Social stratification in Britain made simple : the drinking , soccer and celebrity worship class -vs- the aspirational, status, accent , class obsession and materialism tribe.

I fitted into neither and when both tribes became no longer tolerable I did something about it.

Yes, I toy with the idea of a return for there are many things I miss, but in reality I know that the dying flame in the country I left 10 years ago is all but extinguished .

You have been an expat for almost 15 years, surely you are not contesting the fact that there are now far better places to live than the UK? More equal, less rip-off, more civilised, warmer.....just Goddam all round nicer!!

Fuzzy, what's your point? We know there is no paradise out there; that all these countries have their various problems and it's a matter of trying to find a location that has defects you can live with.

My point was that the previous poster was painting far too an idealistic picture of life in the Middle East. Interesting thread on the main board regarding this issue (Dubai), where the consensus seems to be that living in a medieval theocracy may not be for some.

I would agree with your view that no where is perfect. However, parts of SE Asia do get pretty close (IMHO).

Edited by Fuzzy Duck

My point was that the previous poster was painting far too an idealistic picture of life in the Middle East. Interesting thread on the main board regarding this issue (Dubai), where the consensus seems to be that living in a medieval theocracy may not be for some.

I would agree with your view that no where is perfect. However, parts of SE Asia do get pretty close (IMHO).

Sorry to say that after 10 years I've yet to set foot in Thailand, Vietnam, or Korea. But I am very interested to hear where you consider in SE Asia is near perfect and why. Please don't say Indonesia!!

Sorry to say that after 10 years I've yet to set foot in Thailand, Vietnam, or Korea. But I am very interested to hear where you consider in SE Asia is near perfect and why. Please don't say Indonesia!!

My point was that the previous poster was painting far too an idealistic picture of life in the Middle East.

Thankfully - it was my experience and perspective - not yours.

For me it is Vietnam. I lived there for 3.5 years and it changed my life completely. I won't real specifics on a public forum, but it is sweet FA to do with the price of food.

Of course my view is biased for numerous personal reasons.

For me it is Vietnam. I lived there for 3.5 years and it changed my life completely. I won't real specifics on a public forum, but it is sweet FA to do with the price of food.

Of course my view is biased for numerous personal reasons.

Indo. has become more and more Islamic over my 10 years here and they make it increasingly difficult for foreigners to stay (they basically resent you and the salary they pay). I dread to think of the runaround I'd suffer if I didn't work for a local company and was trying to survive on my own; keeping permits and papers up to date and always paying to lubricate the wheels. Insufferable; frankly I can't see the attraction of places like this unless it's to make money or you have unfortunate Glitteresque proclivities .

Vietnam I know little about, but suspect that corruption is still a definite problem(as it is in most SE Asian countries I'll admit).

I'm not offering redemptive advice to anyone (on reflection, I suppose I am) but would simply say "find your own rut" ; at least try other ruts! I'm thinking maybe South America may be the spot .... any comment Fuzzy? And where are you by the way?

Vietnam I know little about, but suspect that corruption is still a definite problem (as it is in most SE Asian countries I'll admit).

You are correct, it seems to be culturally inbred in VN. It is just something you have to learn to deal with.

I'm not offering redemptive advice to anyone (on reflection, I suppose I am) but would simply say "find your own rut" ; at least try other ruts! I'm thinking maybe South America may be the spot .... any comment Fuzzy? And where are you by the way?

Never been to S. America so really can't comment.

I am sort of no fixed abode at the moment, since I work on rotation in the oil business. At this moment I am in Nigeria. If you think the UK is bad you should come here!