House Price Crash Forum

One In Three Halifax Branches To Close

16bit

HOLA441

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12...-cull-ever.html

"The move, which immediately sparked bitter criticism, would wipe out 550 small branches and 'agency counters' inside the offices of estate agents, solicitors and financial consultants."

Estate agents, solicitors and financial consultants. Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch :lol:

Edited by Craig77

HOLA442

INteresting to see Gordon's stance on this:

He pushed them together last year, waiving the competition rules, but he then had to part nationalise the bank(43% state owned) and as we know you should not cut spending or jobs in a recession in the GB downturn rule book.

He desparately wants the bank to return to profitability, but not at the expense of the inevitable job losses due to the massive duplication of their networks.

Interesting one to follow. Will the media push this angle?

HOLA443
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12...-cull-ever.html

"The move, which immediately sparked bitter criticism, would wipe out 550 small branches and 'agency counters' inside the offices of estate agents, solicitors and financial consultants."

Estate agents, solicitors and financial consultants. Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch :lol:

please stop posting anything like this and actually anything which diverts attention from the happy drug everyone is now on and that gives that euphoric impression that the recession is over, unemployment is falling, property and land values set to soar, gordon saved the world, etc

{mandelson on}

if you persist in remaining off-message like this, you WILL be sent to a re-education centre as have many of your fellows, and let me tell you it's a damn good job they took i mean went there, just in time it was too, some were becoming altogether convinced that we as a nation were teetering on the brink of economic collapse with only some nervous smiles and false bravado from our leaders to keep the wolves from the door.

but they know better now, and so will you if you just open the door without a fight to those nice helpful men in the aviator sunglasses and polyester suits, with their hands positioned behind their lower jacket pockets (where of course they have bottled water ready to quench your thirst)

ttfn, and remember: everything is just fine, so keep calm and carry on

{mandelson off}

Edited by loginandtonic

HOLA444
HOLA445

I'm in the process of moving all my lloyds accounts to Halifax. Yes I know they are part of the same group but the customer service in my nearby Lloyds TSB branch is now so p**s poor that the Halifax over the road seemed positively pleased to see me. They will pay me £5 per month for having a current a/c (so much for the end of free banking) and they gave me £50 to switch!

It'll be ironic if it closes, but now it's all set up ,I can do everything on the net anyway. Perhaps that's the way they want it.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

He pushed them together last year, waiving the competition rules, but he then had to part nationalise the bank(43% state owned) and as we know you should not cut spending or jobs in a recession in the GB downturn rule book.

He desparately wants the bank to return to profitability, but not at the expense of the inevitable job losses due to the massive duplication of their networks.

You clown. So you would have preferred about 10 million people queueing outside Halifax branches to get their money out?

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

QUOTE (Hip to be bear @ Aug 29 2009, 11:04 PM)

You clown. So you would have preferred about 10 million people queueing outside Halifax branches to get their money out?

Lloyds was the most prudent bank during the age of irresponsibility and as such was the strongest bank in the UK until the shotgun marriage. HBOS should of gone to the wall.

Edited by Take Me Back To London!

HOLA4423
Joining a nice long que is one of the last few pleasures we Brits have left and we are damn good at it too.

You lot obviously don't get out much; otherwise you'd be elbowed into the gutter by those who've never heard of a queue.

(I'm quite enjoying elbowing back.)

HOLA4424
Look here Mr Johnny Foreigner, for us British queuing is a source of great national pride.

Being in the retail business, you would know about queuing!

I smile as I queue for hours in Lloyds Bank, with 4 out of 5 teller positions closed, all displaying "we strive to provide you better service" posters on the shuttered windows.

Edited by HostPaul TAFKA Rover2000

HOLA4425
Who needs bank branches these days at all, apart from the people who work there, obviously. I honestly can't remember the last time I visited one.

This for me sums up the Banks on the high street, a huge contraction is a virtual certainty as the contraction of the debt service side of the business continues (Mortgages and Loans!). The only time I go into the Bank is to pay in cheques, and I could do that by posting them through the wall!

What I can't get my head round is why Lloyds bought HBOS in the first place, in my eyes this was a crime even worse than that committed by 'Sir' Fred Goodwin. :angry: