House Price Crash Forum
gruffydd

Portillo - Idle Young Should Be Entitled To Nothing

Well worded by portillo

The 'idle' young of course they should be entitled to nothing.

IMO

The non idle young who form the majority of the radical band known as 'the young' should be entitled to opportunities gifted to other generations.

Why should the idle young get nothing?

The idle anywhere in-between 15 to 70 should get nothing.

Why always crap on the young?

Because it is easier to explain why (as he does very well) if a fit youth from a sink estate is good enough to fight in Afghanistan for the army, then other fit youths from the same estate should be able to work in burger bars, clean hospitals etc instead of us needing to import foreign labour to do that work.

I miss Portillo's extreme intellect in parliament and hope he is is found a job when Cameron effects regime change

So is it back to late 80s/early 90s Portillo now the countrys mood has changed?

Him, Hestletine and all the other backstabbers can rot. The tory party is better without them.

Agree 100%, I hate those backstabbers.

So is it back to late 80s/early 90s Portillo now the countrys mood has changed?

Him, Hestletine and all the other backstabbers can rot. The tory party is better without them.

Oh goody, I hope he's got another SAS speech up his sleeve for the party conference.

I miss Portillo's extreme intellect in parliament and hope he is is found a job when Cameron effects regime change

Extreme intellect? This is the guy who said in a speech to some students they should be proud of being British because there was no corruption here, unlike in other countries. His justification for having Oxbridge was reported to be that it provides "diversity".

I know he has a decent education, and has become more sensible with age, but a genius he is not. Then again, everything is relative: http://www.wilmott.com/blogs/paul/index.cf...-Symbols-People

I am forever hearing politicians wittering on about how maths education in schools needs to be made more fun, and more, what’s the word? Practical! Misguided fools! Not a single GCSE maths above grade D among them. The point of mathematics is that it is supposed to be abstract. If all your maths comes from counting apples then you are going to be stymied by the real thing. Mathematics is abstract, that is the beauty of it. And that’s what actually makes it fun. Teach mathematics properly, don’t terrify children by asking them how long it takes ten politicians to dig themselves into ten holes, explain to the young the beauty of the abstract.

A superb article from Portillo, but what a bleak conclusion. In complete contrast to the hand wringing nonsense from Toynbee et al.

I watched the benefit busters prog on Ch 4 last week and was shocked that these people are given the option when offered work of turning it down. I then went out on Friday night with my partner. Couple of drinks followed by a (really rather good) meal and a bottle of nice wine. Servers in the pub, all Polish. Waiter and waitress in the restaurant, French. Taxi driver, middle eastern (did not specify where, but 3 months in the UK).

Then I remembered the programme on benefit busters and it occured to me that none of the people featured on that programme were capable of doing these genial, but menial jobs, as they were inadequately educated and inadequately versed in the social skills required to do pretty much any job to the required standard. I then reflected on my office. We have recruited 4 people in the last 3 years in middle grade accounting roles, suitable for part or recently qualified ACMA types. Our recruits were 2 Russians, 1 Polish, and 1 Dutch person. We have interviewed many many people for these roles and they are not bad paying roles for a 25 - 28 year old (all >£35k). The non-British candidates were streets ahead of their UK counterparts, in all respects, including in many cases their grasp of English..........

Unless our standard of education is ramped up ASAP we are doomed as a nation; this should be the Tory's number one priority.

Edit change 35 to 25

Edited by bagsos

Agree 100%, I hate those backstabbers.

One of the O'Jay's better songs I always thought.

"They smile in your face, all the time they want to take your place.........."

Its not craping on them, its tough love.

The over 30s who have never worked are probably beyond help now.

The young still have chance, force them to become self sufficient before they become dependant on the state.

Idle young?

They dont exist in Hong Kong.

The parents wouldnt allow it, and the young wouldnt want to lose face.

Britain's idle young are proud of their idle status,

and do their best to corrupt the others around them

Portiloo is right: Zero tolerance of idleness may be an idea whose time has come

They should be made to clean the verges of the private motorways in return for their rations

I've posted this:

Mr Portillo is right on the mark here. The problem is the benefits systems is too generous and allows people to decide to stay on the dole rather than decide to work. This will get worse unless the plug is pulled on many benefits. Right now there is an element of wage deflation creeping in, which means that benefits (which go up most years) became worth even more relative to working. If you want to cause UK PLC to grind to a halt, then keep on paying benefits. Like the bankers (who are subsidised by the state through bailouts and low Central Banks rates), benefits claimants need to be subjected to a bit honest capitalism.

Portillo's the Tories' Ernst Rohm.

Seems we're back to the good old days of overfed private school career politicians attacking the poor from a pointless meejah sinecure.

It's all very well asking why the 'idle young' can't work if Poles can. Poles will live in cramped overcrowded conditions to obtain purchasing power that has genuine weight back home. British born and raised youngsters cannot.

Dr Bubb mentions Hong Kong. No doubt free market fascists would like to see the working poor punished in accommodation like this:

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8...1917897,00.html

The Benefits Busters programme revealed how private-sector parasites are wasting poor peoples time with nonsense. So much is spent on benefits and the circus of non-jobs that attend to their needs we may as well create real jobs with real training that enable people to compete for living wage jobs, not poverty pay work that requires taxpayer subsidy all the way along.

Edited by CrashedOutAndBurned

As soon as they turn down a job - their benefit ceases to exist. If there are no normal jobs ? Get them on the motorways, or in the fields doing work for the basic wage.

Done, dusted, sorted. And it didn't take a 30 million pound quango to work it out.

The above is all that has to be done. Simple as that. I expect a cheque for £10,000 in the post from NuLabour.

As soon as they turn down a job - their benefit ceases to exist. If there are no normal jobs ? Get them on the motorways, or in the fields doing work for the basic wage.

Done, dusted, sorted. And it didn't take a 30 million pound quango to work it out.

The above is all that has to be done. Simple as that. I expect a cheque for £10,000 in the post from NuLabour.

But I have depression, and I have a bad back, I am overweight and my doctor says I cant work. It is against my human rights, and besides Trisha is on TV

But I have depression, and I have a bad back, I am overweight and my doctor says I cant work. It is against my human rights, and besides Trisha is on TV

Obviously you've never met any proper 'chavs'.

The best way to get round the issus of work is no long depression or a bad back, it's physical violence at interview.

Threaten the interviewer or better still cause acutal harm and your home free. The DWP will never force you into 'work' again.

What is the "basic" wage though. What do they get? If its minimum wage then fine but that is expensive and we don't have the cash to pay it. It has been demonstrated time and time again "workfare" schemes where people are forced to work for their benefits are counter productive (since the people have much less time to apply for jobs) and tend to crowd out private enterprise and drive down wages at the lower end (why employ someone on minimum wage to stack your shelves if you can have a benefit slave free from the local authority).

Obviously you've never met any proper 'chavs'.

The best way to get round the issus of work is no long depression or a bad back, it's physical violence at interview.

Threaten the interviewer or better still cause acutal harm and your home free. The DWP will never force you into 'work' again.

That would be interesting if a chav got violent in an interview with me, I'd offer him the job then kick sh1t out of him

I would have you put down.

What is the "basic" wage though. What do they get? If its minimum wage then fine but that is expensive and we don't have the cash to pay it. It has been demonstrated time and time again "workfare" schemes where people are forced to work for their benefits are counter productive (since the people have much less time to apply for jobs) and tend to crowd out private enterprise and drive down wages at the lower end (why employ someone on minimum wage to stack your shelves if you can have a benefit slave free from the local authority).

Is there a shortage of parks needing cleaned up ? Of raod verges needing trimmed back ? Of course not. There is work that needs to be done. Minimum wage. Job done. If they don't like it they starve. Simple.