House Price Crash Forum

Is A Fairer Distribution Of Wealth The Answer?

HOLA441
Guest BoomBoomCrash
Sounds like a great thing for everyone.

What's the problem, do you think?

The problem is that the declining requirement for human labour is an issue people are ignoring. We need a citizens wage because increasingly people are chasing jobs that aren't there and never will be again.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
Technology replaces the need for human labour, and yet you argue against a citizens wage. It's only going to get worse;a lot worse. A contact at IBM was showing me some natural language translation technology that will be hitting the market in about a year. It can translate between languages and speak the translation aloud as well as a competent human translator. Multilingual staff (especially those in call centres) who have been able to earn a liveable (although declining) wage will find themselves unable to find work for minimum wage.

I know it's going to get worse, I don't really like the citizen's income scheme, but I do accept that an acceptable social scheme for a huge army of labour market cast-offs will have to be devised.

Automation is getting so incredibly powerful. It would be an interesting experiment to see just how big a turnover online retail business you could establish without employing any staff. I reckon well into the millions.

HOLA443
Guest BoomBoomCrash
I know it's going to get worse, I don't really like the citizen's income scheme, but I do accept that an acceptable social scheme for a huge army of labour market cast-offs will have to be devised.

Automation is getting so incredibly powerful. It would be an interesting experiment to see just how big a turnover online retail business you could establish without employing any staff. I reckon well into the millions.

And surely that is your goal, as it is for every business? To operate with as few staff as possible, and ideally no staff. The problem being of course that with every business pursuing this goal there are fewer and fewer people with income to purcahse goods and services. This process is Capitalism eating itself.

HOLA444
And surely that is your goal, as it is for every business? To operate with as few staff as possible, and ideally no staff. The problem being of course that with every business pursuing this goal there are fewer and fewer people with income to purcahse goods and services. This process is Capitalism eating itself.

Possibly, to a signifcant degree. It's giant corporations that'll suffer most. B2C will just gradually move to B2B until a natural equilibrium is found.

It's a circle from fragmented cottage industries with people spinning and weaving in their front room, to the industrial revolution and concomitant centralising of labour and resources and back again to fragmented.

There's products I sell where a single automated machine in your garage could churn out the UK supply, in such circumstances there'd be no point shipping them in from China.

HOLA445
The problem is that the declining requirement for human labour is an issue people are ignoring. We need a citizens wage because increasingly people are chasing jobs that aren't there and never will be again.

But people don't need jobs though. We only need the things that can be created through effort, if the effort compenent is significantly reduced then the population should be a lot more wealthy, or enjoy some serious leisure time.

The citizens wage is a good idea, but I think the term 'dividend' is more appropriate. If all our taxes were pooled and spent on communally used services; roads etc then the portion left over (the profits) could be divided equally. Much like the dividends from share ownership.

HOLA446
But people don't need jobs though. We only need the things that can be created through effort, if the effort compenent is significantly reduced then the population should be a lot more wealthy, or enjoy some serious leisure time.

The citizens wage is a good idea, but I think the term 'dividend' is more appropriate. If all our taxes were pooled and spent on communally used services; roads etc then the portion left over (the profits) could be divided equally. Much like the dividends from share ownership.

I think you and Bbc are wrong.

Firstly, what you want has already happened. We do have more leisure time. Look back 150 years.

Secondly, you imagine that some kind uncle will come along and sort all of these things out and we'll all be happy. unfortunately, we don't have such a thing, all we have are governments. What you would attempt, misguided though it is, is way beyond the abilities of a mere government to implement. It's impossible. Let's avoid ideas that originate in fairy land.

HOLA447
I think you and Bbc are wrong.

?

Firstly, what you want has already happened. We do have more leisure time. Look back 150 years.

There have been advances but these have come with a significant downside attached, the reason is that the extra production is siphoned off as a revenue that can only be captured via the land market. So some people can benefit at the expense of others.

Secondly, you imagine that some kind uncle will come along and sort all of these things out and we'll all be happy. unfortunately, we don't have such a thing, all we have are governments. What you would attempt, misguided though it is, is way beyond the abilities of a mere government to implement. It's impossible. Let's avoid ideas that originate in fairy land.

What is it you're accusing me of wanting to implement? What I said was that after costs of running government the surplus should returned to the individuals, governments just have to spend less than they take in tax. Are you such a cynic that you think the very idea of a balanced budget is an idea from 'fairy land'?

Edited by chefdave

HOLA448
HOLA449

One more thing - it's no tthe employers who keep the wages low - it's all the people who are willing to replace the existing workers.

Is there a cogent argument as to why the unemployed shoudn't try to get work for themselves by competing?

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
To the OP - I think that once you have unlocked the secrets of money, its distribution is the key question that needs to be resolved.

I start from the following angle....

Money is mostly derived as credit (97%).

Money is used in transactions - therefore the amount and velocity is key to prices and more specifically that other key determinant of what we call (on paper) 'wealth', asset prices.

So the more debt, the more money and the higher asset prices iteration.

I think of this as the vicious circle of our time - not the other way round which is what the governemt is spending our money on to stop going into reverse.

I think the mirror image of your question about the concentration of wealth - is also one abut the concentration of debt. I think that the answer to one will be the answer to the other.

Nicely put. The majority of bad debt has been the result in tranactions in the property market; on one side of the equation we have a load of homeowners and unnsuccessful speculators that are in an obscene amounts of debt and on the other side we have a group of people with huge bank balances. Its transformed as a problem with the banking system in the capitalist economy, but the banking system wasn't the driving force behind people's indebtedness; it just faciltiated as a middle man for injustices that were already present.

Edited by chefdave

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
He wasn't losing anything. :)

neither was the guy in the photo - if it's voluntary it's all profit.

Might not be sane, but it's all profit.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4766490.stm

The experimenters performed simple tasks like dropping a clothes peg out of reach while hanging clothes on a line, or mis-stacking a pile of books.

Nearly all of the group of 24 18-month-olds helped by picking up the peg or the book, usually in the first 10 seconds of the experiment.

They only did this if they believed the researcher needed the object to complete the task - if it was thrown on the ground deliberately, they didn't pick it up.

"The results were astonishing because these children are so young - they still wear diapers and are barely able to use language, but they already show helping behaviour," said Felix Warneken.

What profit is an 18 month old baby hoping to achieve in his actions? Seems fairly apparent that the only thing to profit from such a human trait is the human DNA in totality - and hence your ability to sit there and bicker about it.

Edited by Alan B'Stard MP

HOLA4416
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4766490.stm

What profit is an 18 month old baby hoping to achieve in his actions? Seems fairly apparent that the only thing to profit from such a human trait is the human DNA in totality - and hence your ability to sit there and bicker about it.

Why would acting on your instincts lead to a loss?

They might not make rational sense but it's still a profit.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
Breathing is an instinct. You don't act upon it. You act to overrule it.

Only if you think you aren't your lungs and autonomic nervous system.

If your unconscious mind doesn't trust you, I guess you should act better. I get on just fine with mine.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
They're not creating any wealth they get the option to work in a wealth creating machine,

That could be applied equaly to anyone who is employed in any capacity. The truth is that your 'wealth creating machines' currently require the participation of human beings- so it is absurd for you to claim that they do not contribute to the wealth that is created.

The truth is that you do not really belive in the idea that those who create wealth should be rewarded. What you actualy belive is that those with the power to exploit should be free to do so without being encumbered by morality of any kind.

HOLA4425
Guest BoomBoomCrash
That could be applied equaly to anyone who is employed in any capacity. The truth is that your 'wealth creating machines' currently require the participation of human beings- so it is absurd for you to claim that they do not contribute to the wealth that is created.

The truth is that you do not really belive in the idea that those who create wealth should be rewarded. What you actualy belive is that those with the power to exploit should be free to do so without being encumbered by morality of any kind.

He should apply his argument to his own business. It is simply being allowed to operate within a wealth generating machine (a nation state) and as such he should expect only a nominal reward for his efforts.