House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Potwalloper

Desperate Window Dressing Before Election

The pre-election window dressing is proving expensive. I wouldn't be surprised if we get a snap election before the end of the year. Then the crash will really get going.

Edited by chute

The pre-election window dressing is proving expensive. I wouldn't be surprised if we get a snap election before the end of the year. Then the crash will really get going.

Have to say I was definately in the May 6th. 2010 camp, but lately I'm wondering if we will have a snap election this year, at the start of November, announced at the Labour Party conference at the end of September - whilst there is still "good news" and "green shoots" in the popular press.

No point hanging on. Only risks something going spectacularly wrong. But I dare say "Bottler Brown" will strike again.

If a pollster asks how you vote, just say "Labour" in the hope it fools them into calling an election. :lol:

Edited by HostPaul TAFKA Rover2000

Have to say I was definately in the May 6th. 2010 camp, but lately I'm wondering if we will have a snap election this year, at the start of November, announced at the Labour Party conference at the end of September - whilst there is still "good news" and "green shoots" in the popular press.

I think that's plausible, but only if there is also an upturn in Labour's poll ratings. If anyone polls you, tell them you'll vote Labour to try to lull them into calling the election early. ;)

I doubt if Brown can do any economic window dressing that would enhance Labour's chances in an autumn election. After all, they were just about powerless to prevent the banking calamity and the recession, even if they have managed, at the taxpayers' expense, to turn the condition from acute to chronic.

But Gordon Brown does have one great ally in any revival of New Labour - Daniel Hannan, Cameron's loose cannon!! :lol:

In fact he has another - Alex Salmond and the disgraced SNP following the release of Al Megrahi. People who defect from the SNP are likely to vote Labour.

Edited by blankster

I doubt if Brown can do any economic window dressing that would enhance Labour's chances in an autumn election. After all, they were just about powerless to prevent the banking calamity and the recession, even if they have managed, at the taxpayers' expense, to turn the condition from acute to chronic.

But Gordon Brown does have one great ally in any revival of New Labour - Daniel Hannan, Cameron's loose cannon!! :lol:

In fact he has another - Alex Salmond and the disgraced SNP following the release of Al Megrahi. People who defect from the SNP are likely to vote Labour.

I have yet to meet a single person from Scotland who disagrees with the release of Megrahi

the SNP will go from strength to strength for standing up to US dictatorship

some lesser nations may have cowered and pocketed the 40 pieces of silver

Independence - bring it on !!!

Only really 2 options. Snap in October, or else its May.

Labour will not be winning the next election whatever happens to the economy. To put forward the idea that the Government are 'delaying the crash' so that it will happen after the next election is just a little bit childish. But then par for the course for the HPC forum.

Labour will not be winning the next election whatever happens to the economy. To put forward the idea that the Government are 'delaying the crash' so that it will happen after the next election is just a little bit childish. But then par for the course for the HPC forum.

Par for the course for Gordon Brown you mean.

With unemployment fast approaching 3 million souls there would seem to be no window of opportunity for an election to reflect well on labour. Each of those 3 mil will know that they have been let down and let down badly, the diehards amongst them may still vote labour but even they will be wondering why. And each of those 3 mil is a member of a family who can see what brown and co have done, as we approach an election I expect The Sun, as is the norm, to start pointing out the debt the labour party have lumbered us all with (they have a habit of reporting what their readers want to read). Each passing day results in a more embattled electorate and the labour parties’ chances fade.

Edited by zebbedee

He won't do it in Nov, Jan, Feb or March ar Labour struggle to get the vote out in winter....The Tories in their Volvos and Audis find it easier to get to the polling station. I reckon October.....(will / can they call it before the conference and have a better conference as they will pull together better if the election is in the offing?)

If they reckon TSWHTF over the winter, then they need to go for it asap.

Given we are approaching another downside to the finacial crisis his best chance is October at the latest.

Getting to know some new friends at the moment and when I bought up the subject of Gordon Brown's complicitness in the financial crisis (his belief was it was a US problem) and that history will judge Gordon Brown as ..... he interrupted and said a genius! This is a pretty well educated scientist.

Friday night when we were with them again knowing we are renting he warned me things are about to kick off big time in the housing market (up) he had heard it on the radio earlier that day, presumably the land registry figures. I suspect these are fairly typical views.

I don't personaly see a better chance than this Autumn, other than this moment now because things may already be deteriorating buy then.

Edited by Confounded

I say June - even if he (Brown) has (still) 'good news' over the next couple of months 'he' is the same Brown as in 'Bottler Brown' - of 2 years ago. He will keep on going hoping like Mr McCawber hoping that something 'will turn up'.

He could choose to try & knock the Tory's off balance by going for a 'unusual' date say March but more likely he will realised he & NL are ferked and keep on hanging onto power as long as possible. (Which will be good for NL ministers 'cos they will have longer to burn all those incriminating documents!)

On the other hand isn't the World cup in June next year? The labour vote may well stay away. But then he IS Scottish (& Scotland won't qualify(?) - again! so that mightn't eneter into his calculations.

June 2010 i reckon leave it to the last possible date they will

I agree.

Gordon waited a long time to get this job.

I think he will leave it as late as possible.