House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
okaycuckoo

World's 50 Safest Banks 2009

Mostly from Germany, France, Netherlands, Spain, Canada, Aus.

First appearance for UK is HSBC at 18 - presumably on its Asia exposure - then Nationwide at 46.

First US bank is at 32, Mellon.

UBS at 40, Credit Suisse 43.

Surprising amount of Spanish banks in there. Their CB stopped them from investing in US MBS, but they have to be suffering massive exposure in the domestic market - unless they securitised it all away to ... UK investors!

The eurozone preponderance is maybe the untold story of the crisis - lots of them went the zombie route, but lots of them played it smart, which suggests there are plenty of players to step in if the ECB decides to pull the trigger on the zombies.

But my main point: where is Barclays, one of the most heavily leveraged of the lot? Nowhere. Why did they choose not to suckle up with RBS at the government tit?

50 safest banks

First appearance for UK is HSBC at 18.

First US bank is at 32, Mellon.

That says it all really.

I cant help feeling that this list grows more meaningless by the year.

The fact that KfW , an arm of the German state, heads the list suggests that backing by a strong government is the only thing that counts these days.

BNP Paribas are 9th, and wasn't it their inability to value a property fund that started the credit crunch?

Although I suppose they were the first to stick their neck outs and admit there was a problem ?

Must count for something.

that list looks like pants to me, they seem to be only globalised banks, there are plenty of banks in the US that are far safer than the US banks in the list but they are small state banks. But hey my main banks in the top 5 so happy days

Guest happy?
Nationwide Building Society is at number 46 and it is not even a bank! I would never put my money in an over-exposed institution like the Nationwide.

Clearly your understanding of "over-exposed" is very different from someone who's financially savvy.

But my main point: where is Barclays, one of the most heavily leveraged of the lot? Nowhere. Why did they choose not to suckle up with RBS at the government tit?

50 safest banks

Barclays passed a FSA stress test that people I know would claim was designed to be failed. This would have forced them to take on government money. By passing the test they escaped Brown's clutches.

Barclays passed a FSA stress test that people I know would claim was designed to be failed. This would have forced them to take on government money. By passing the test they escaped Brown's clutches.

That's the point - they chose not to.

Questions:

What do the have to hide?

Are they going down?

Exposed to what?

Biggest mortgage lender I think.

However surely NW is far less exposed to leveredge and fancy financial instruments than HSBC???!!!