House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

deadman

Oasis Split

....they should have done it in 1995 in my opinion.

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol...icle6814563.ece

quite right. Dirgy mid tempo dirges. almost tuneless. their rise in popularity at home coincided with a dramatic decline in popularity of British pop acts around the world. No wonder. They traded only on their tabloid hard man nonsense image and not much else. Ever actually listened to their words? I blame Oasis for the house price bubble.

Let's face it, Liam is one of the luckiest pric*s on earth.

Crap voice if you ask me. Don't blame his brother for quitting.

quite right. Dirgy mid tempo dirges. almost tuneless. their rise in popularity at home coincided with a dramatic decline in popularity of British pop acts around the world. No wonder. They traded only on their tabloid hard man nonsense image and not much else. Ever actually listened to their words? I blame Oasis for the house price bubble.

They haven't made a decent record in years, despite Noel's insistence that they are bigger than the Stones. :o He's a card, good banter with Noel in the NME!

But there are a lot worse bands about - Kaiser Chiefs, Kasabian, The Enemy - FFS they are the real lightweights :lol::lol: How do they get away with it?

They haven't made a decent record in years, despite Noel's insistence that they are bigger than the Stones. :o He's a card, good banter with Noel in the NME!

But there are a lot worse bands about - Kaiser Chiefs, Kasabian, The Enemy - FFS they are the real lightweights :lol::lol: How do they get away with it?

Yeah actually their first record is pretty good, even tough they brazenly nicked a lot of the good tunes off others. It's all about the tabloid coverage - that's what sells massive amounts of records in the UK, at least since the mid 90s. Most people I know that own a copy of "what's the story morning glory" only have 10 other CDs (including "play" by moby, the Trainspotting soundtrack etc. - if you were a student in the 90s you probably know what I'm talking about) Even Noel Gallagher admitted it when he said in an interview "you know you've made it when the squares start buying your records". I think the whole Oasis phenomenon crowded out a lot of original talent in the UK music scene at the time and it's gone on for a long time afterwards. Still, with the old interweb there's a massive amount of decent music available so I don't want to moan too much.

I only like Noel. Can't stand the other one. Don't know much about the rest since the Bonehead days.

Noel won't be able to survive without making music. Something else will come from this.

Yeah actually their first record is pretty good, even tough they brazenly nicked a lot of the good tunes off others. It's all about the tabloid coverage - that's what sells massive amounts of records in the UK, at least since the mid 90s. Most people I know that own a copy of "what's the story morning glory" only have 10 other CDs (including "play" by moby, the Trainspotting soundtrack etc. - if you were a student in the 90s you probably know what I'm talking about) Even Noel Gallagher admitted it when he said in an interview "you know you've made it when the squares start buying your records". I think the whole Oasis phenomenon crowded out a lot of original talent in the UK music scene at the time and it's gone on for a long time afterwards. Still, with the old interweb there's a massive amount of decent music available so I don't want to moan too much.

Just think how big such under rated acts like Menswear could have got to if Oasis hadn't stolen the limelight.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Not surprised...the brother with a modicum of talent should have left years ago. There are worse than KC, The Enemy, etc..just look at the likes of The Twang, Pigeon Detectives, The Fratellis & Hard-Fi (I'm ashamed to say it, but I actually liked a couple of their early singles)..the list is endless. Appalling lad indie.. There are so many bands are more deserving of a record contract than that shower.

Guest Parry aka GOD

Massively popular in Asia.

My kid learns English listening to that Oasis sh1te, to much parental consternation.

Good. Anyone who has seen the Manic Street Preachers live at the height of their bile wouldn't give 2 fecks ever about these pansies. That said, I know someone who works for their record co, and apparently they are really nice.

Massively popular in Asia.

My kid learns English listening to that Oasis sh1te, to much parental consternation.

Does your kid enjoy playing out in the Sunscheeeiine and have a wild imaginascheeeeon?

Guest Parry aka GOD
Does your kid enjoy playing out in the Sunscheeeiine and have a wild imaginascheeeeon?

Same as that, mush. It's hilarious hearing these folks sing Oasis songs out here.

Same as that, mush. It's hilarious hearing these folks sing Oasis songs out here.

I'm now picturing the Kim Jong Il puppet from Team America singing Oasis songs in a karaoke bar.

Harrro!

(Yes I am well aware that North Korea is not Thialand)

Guest Parry aka GOD
I'm now picturing the Kim Jong Il puppet from Team America singing Oasis songs in a karaoke bar.

Harrro!

(Yes I am well aware that North Korea is not Thialand)

Went to a 'bar' the other day (although I was with two of my sisters-in-law). Funny.

"Waht yuor neam?"

"Wer yuo cum form?"

"I tink I rove yuo tuo mut. Yuo by Kohla me?"

Guest theboltonfury

Right oddballs. Oasis were/are briliant. Definitely Maybe is a seminal album, their back catalogue is awesome and as a live act, they usually rock. They have charisma, which is more to be said for the other dross like Coldplay and Keane etc. They made the maximum out a minimum talent and at least didn;t try to be all poncey like Radiohead did and other bands.

In their day, along with Blur and the Stone Roses they were the music of a generation.

How can you not like Oasis?

Guest theboltonfury
If you're missing Oasis already, just check out your nearest pub band for exactly the same thing.

And that's why they were so good. Their music is playable by most and therefore it connects in a way that ELO could never imagine.

Right oddballs. Oasis were/are briliant. Definitely Maybe is a seminal album, their back catalogue is awesome and as a live act, they usually rock. They have charisma, which is more to be said for the other dross like Coldplay and Keane etc. They made the maximum out a minimum talent and at least didn;t try to be all poncey like Radiohead did and other bands.

In their day, along with Blur and the Stone Roses they were the music of a generation.

How can you not like Oasis?

Oasis should have split up after the production of the first couple of albums in 1995. They became stale, and they ended up playing by numbers. This happens to a lot of bands in similar position - U2, Coldplay, etc, etc. They have a devoted fanbase, who are effectively seen as a cash cow, who will lap-up almost anything released. Once you earn a lot of money, creative juices fade, and these bands have a knack of pushing out MOR dirge - with their glory years way behind them.

In OK computer, Radiohead produced one of the greatest ever made in the modern era. They are not only technically innovative, and are not scared of doing something completely new & different, Johnny Greenwood is one of the gifted guitarists alive today.

Guest theboltonfury
Oasis should have split up after the production of the first couple of albums in 1995. They became stale, and they ended up playing by numbers. This happens to a lot of bands in similar position - U2, Coldplay, etc, etc. They have a devoted fanbase, who are effectively seen as a cash cow, who will lap-up almost anything released. Once you earn a lot of money, creative juices fade, and these bands have a knack of pushing out MOR dirge - with their glory years way behind them.

In OK computer, Radiohead produced one of the greatest ever made in the modern era. They are not only technically innovative, and are not scared of doing something completely new & different, and Johnny Greenwood is one of the gifted guitarists alive today.

Ok computer is not even the best Radiohead album and I think overrated. Even though Radiohead are one of the best bands ever to have recorded. I really dispute that Greenwood is gifted to that extent, most of the clever rythmn work and arpeggio picking is done by Yorke. He's good, (better than Gallagher) but not great. He works well with octave patterns, piercing stabs but there's nothing revolutionary there at all.

Radiohead, Imo are a perfect example of disappearing up their own backsides and treated their fans to experimental shit for the next 10 years after their first 3 brilliant albums.

I'm an Oasis fan, so I'm going to defend them whatever. I concede that much.

I thought they did split in 1995 (Blowasis was the headline?) They're not even has-been's as they were never-was's.

Radiohead, Imo are a perfect example of disappearing up their own backsides and treated their fans to experimental shit for the next 10 years after their first 3 brilliant albums.

..or its a sign where they are willing to experiment, which i'm all for..I'd rather they did that than they became so formulaic, such as, I'm afraid to say, is what happened to Oasis.

For instance, this

was off one the "crappy experimental" albums (Amnesiac)..How many bands of Radiohead's stature would dare do such a song..I think Coldplay would actually explode at the thought.