House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mikhail Liebenstein

Open Project Management Software

I'm currently working with guys using a mix of IT systems (quite a religious lot).

One challenge is getting them to work together and use some basic project management tools - so they can at least talk to each other. So MS Project is out.

I've found a tool which seems pretty good (Openproj from Serena http://sourceforge.net/projects/openproj/files/ ) and which can run on Linux (Deb and RPM packages are available as well as a Windows MSI file. Compatibility also seems good especially via the *.xml format.

Does anyone have any view on this or other PM tools? I've also looked at Open Bench, but was out off by the CA logo - as I am sure money or blood would be needed at some point.

I did wonder if Sun had something under Open Office, which I now use in Preference to MS office.

Didn't Sun get bought out?

Yes indeed they did, by Oracle. But I wouldn't worry about the Open Office suite, Java and most of their SW, that's the reason Oracle bought Sun as this is good stuff. It wasn't for the hardware, whilst I can get a bit sentimental about a Sun E10K, E12K , that bit of the firm doesn't really have legs.

I'm currently working with guys using a mix of IT systems (quite a religious lot).

As in some of them are Unix/Linux evangelists? And some are disciples of the dark side?

As in some of them are Unix/Linux evangelists? And some are disciples of the dark side?

Indeed that would be correct.

Over the last few years I am increasingly becoming of the opinion that I should avoid taking any decisions (however small) that cause money to flow into the beast of Seattle.

For one, Windows is a f***ing pain in the **** - you can buy the best hardware on earth and 6 months and a few patches later its running like a one legged sloth in a pool of treacle.

Indeed that would be correct.

Over the last few years I am increasingly becoming of the opinion that I should avoid taking any decisions (however small) that cause money to flow into the beast of Seattle.

For one, Windows is a f***ing pain in the **** - you can buy the best hardware on earth and 6 months and a few patches later its running like a one legged sloth in a pool of treacle.

As a developer of 20 years I should stay agnostic, but my experiences of the last 2 have made me hate them with a passion. I might be wrong but I think a failure with Windows7 similar to Vista could be the beginning of the end.

As a developer of 20 years I should stay agnostic, but my experiences of the last 2 have made me hate them with a passion. I might be wrong but I think a failure with Windows7 similar to Vista could be the beginning of the end.

I was agnostic until Vista. I did Beta test Windows 7, and essentially it is a simplified version (relative to Vista), but with slightly flashier graphics than XP.. Personally I don't know why anyone would bother switching from XP, which was actually pretty good and the most stable version release by MS.

I'm definitely not buying Windows 7 for home use, and instead will be continue using Ubuntu an probably Linpus Media Centre for the soon to be purchased Media Centre.

PS - I've been using Linpus Linux lite on the netbook on which I am typing this.

Depends what your project requires.

If everyone is comfortable using IT, there is very little that can not be accomplished using a combination of live docs/wiki , skype, screen recorders, ftp and git.

Hierarchical organisation of data is expensive and inflexible, search engines work better, faster and cheaper ;)

MS Project is excellent IMO.

I've used it with MS Team System & Sharepoint to great success, you need good, intelligent, disciplined users though (i.e. software developers ;)) . I've worked with Primavera and other project management tools in the past but have come away unimpressed.

Its easy to hate on Microsoft

Absolute garbage. I often hear this crap spouted by linux fanboys. Everytime I decide to "give linux ago" (usualy every 6 months - various flavours) I find it to be bloated, unstable, poorly supported crap. Fighting just to get your printer working properly, or a soundcard working. Sod that - people don't realise just how good windows is until they try the alternatives. The support side of my business absolutely hates having to deal with Linux related enquiries - with good reason!

My company's taken such a hard line against MS that people are wanting to use it rather than the open source alternatives that are being forced upon us. I don't see the problem with using the best tool for the job regardless of who's made it, but apparently I'm wrong, which has got me into a little bit of trouble. :P

I was agnostic until Vista. I did Beta test Windows 7, and essentially it is a simplified version (relative to Vista), but with slightly flashier graphics than XP.. Personally I don't know why anyone would bother switching from XP, which was actually pretty good and the most stable version release by MS.

Its a way for Microsoft to make even more money. Once they pull support completely (ie. security patches et al) from XP, you will have no choice but to upgrade.

My company's taken such a hard line against MS that people are wanting to use it rather than the open source alternatives that are being forced upon us. I don't see the problem with using the best tool for the job regardless of who's made it, but apparently I'm wrong, which has got me into a little bit of trouble. :P

I used to work for a very large French PLC, and this was their initial strategy - effectively try to do everything on the cheap, which if they had their way, would include using some bastardised Ubuntu / Open Source OS for tens of thousands of machines (desktop & servers) worldwide. They absolutely hated paying money for licenses, and tried every method they could think of to cut costs (far enough, up to a point, but they just went mental). They treated their IT as a money making venture, rather than an essential function, which without it, the business would collapse.

The good thing about MS, is that you more or less know (with modern software at least) that its software should fit together & interact with each other. If you start using different suites of software, then you can fail. Its alright in using certain different software in moderation, but I wouldn't abandon MS completely. It does depend on what the customer requires, but a lot of them don't give a monkeys - as long as it does what its supposed to do, cost effective & and it can be easily supported.