House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fishman

Driving Down To Dorset Tomorrw

Any members down Dorset way?

Mrs. Fishman and I and the little fishes are driving down to Weymouth and staying in the vicinity for a week.

Is it worth coming off the M5 at Bristol and taking the A37 or would you recommend staying on the M5 until Taunton and cutting across country ?

Any advice much appreciated.

Ta.

I can't really comment on those cross-country routes because I go to Weymouth a different way. What I can say is that during the day, the A354 from Dorchester to Weymouth can get seriously chock-a-block, so allow some generous delay time if you need to get there at a set time.

I would also avoid driving through Bristol, so I'd probably do the cross-country bit. If you don't know your way round Bristol, it's a lot easier to sit in a tailback on the M5 than to fight your way through a semi-gridlocked Bristol!

I can't really comment on those cross-country routes because I go to Weymouth a different way. What I can say is that during the day, the A354 from Dorchester to Weymouth can get seriously chock-a-block, so allow some generous delay time if you need to get there at a set time.

I would also avoid driving through Bristol, so I'd probably do the cross-country bit. If you don't know your way round Bristol, it's a lot easier to sit in a tailback on the M5 than to fight your way through a semi-gridlocked Bristol!

Cheers.

I'll stay on the M5 then.

Are you driving at a decent time of day and sitting in traffic or getting up at sparrows fart to avoid the jams. If you want a local shortcut into town (Weymouth) from Dorchester, stay on the bypass to the Martinstown roundabout near Poundbury on the A35 and then got towards Martinstown, turn left at the T junction and go over the hill via Upwey. It could save you from sitting in crawling traffic for half an hour after 10.30 tomorrow am.

If you are not right in town, this dvice may change. Let me know where you are staying.

Guest theboltonfury

My best friend lives in Bournemouth, I live in Gtr Manchester. I go M6, M42, M40, A34, M4, M27 - then 10 miles to Bournemouth. I never use the M5.

Takes about 4 hours.

I used to go Wales -> Poole quite a bit which isnt that far from Weymouth, used to go M4 -> A46 -> Bath, then A350 all the way, usually slow around Bath but used to do M4->Poole in around an hour or so. Not ideal for you, but if the M5 is looking totally farked you could adapt it but head a bit more westerly

the advice on avoiding A35 around Dorchester is good... that stretch is always nose-to-tail in the summer months.

I'm a nearby local, and if you are in Weymouth do the 4 mile drive over onto Portland Island, already full steam ahead preparing for all the sailing events of Olympics 2012 being held there. The view from the top (Portland Heights hotel) of 19 miles of the Chesil Beach is one of the great sights of the South Coast. The little Portland town in the photo misses most visitors and has a food pub right on the beach. If you're returning from visiting Portland Bill lighthouse the pub is on your left at the bottom of the steep hill as you leave the island proper. Save any swimming for the safety of Weymouth main beach - Chesil Beach is for strong adult swimmers only.

Have a good holiday. Breezy, but clear starry skies at the moment.

chesil.jpg

post-12677-1251497130_thumb.jpg

Has anyone else noticed that all Sainsburys lorries seem to be going particularly slowly on A-roads, never more than 40mph. I know that's the legal limit for HGVs but, everyone usually does 50 mph. It seems so universal that I wonder if they've had some satellite device fitted that decrases the limiter speed on A-roads. Done under the banner of road-safety but I bet, in reality, to save fuel.

With North-Dorset, if you do hear of delays on M5, cut across to Northampton/Bicester/Swindon and then go A-roads past Avebury stone circle - much more pleasant scenery.

As someone else has mentioned, I'd definitely avoid traversing Bristol, go M5-M4 east come off jn18 for Bath. Bath always bottle necks a bit on way through but soon clears up once through, will be quicker than through Bristol.

I'm a nearby local, and if you are in Weymouth do the 4 mile drive over onto Portland Island, already full steam ahead preparing for all the sailing events of Olympics 2012 being held there. The view from the top (Portland Heights hotel) of 19 miles of the Chesil Beach is one of the great sights of the South Coast. The little Portland town in the photo misses most visitors and has a food pub right on the beach. If you're returning from visiting Portland Bill lighthouse the pub is on your left at the bottom of the steep hill as you leave the island proper. Save any swimming for the safety of Weymouth main beach - Chesil Beach is for strong adult swimmers only.

Have a good holiday. Breezy, but clear starry skies at the moment.

chesil.jpg

Juvenal....do you work for the Dorset Tourist Board????

You forgot to mention the best restauarant in Weymouth.....Which we sell on Wednesday.............But the chef is staying... :P . Its called.....XXXXXXXX. Tell you after wednesday!

Chesil Beach is for fishermen not swimmers....Stunning but dangerous water!

Juvenal....do you work for the Dorset Tourist Board????

You forgot to mention the best restauarant in Weymouth.....Which we sell on Wednesday.............But the chef is staying... :P . Its called.....XXXXXXXX. Tell you after wednesday!

Best restaurant? Haven't tried em all but I can recommend Mallam's on the quayside for a romantic evening for 2, especially if your table has a view from the upstairs window. Bit pricey, but nice food.

For no-nonsense seafood, this place is very unpretentious (almost spit-and-sawdust) and I had a great meal, whole crab http://www.crabhousecafe.co.uk/ gets v busy so worth booking.

As someone else has mentioned, I'd definitely avoid traversing Bristol, go M5-M4 east come off jn18 for Bath. Bath always bottle necks a bit on way through but soon clears up once through, will be quicker than through Bristol.

That's the way I'd go. Only head on to Bathampton and use the toll bridge, 50p, cuts out the center of bath.

M6 - M5 onto the M4, off at juction 18 onto the A46.

Off the A46 at the A4/London Rd roundabout taking your first left onto London Rd West. Look on Google maps for the toll bridge as Toll Bridge Rd can be difficult to spot. Across the toll bridge - through Bathampton and onto the A36.

Follow the A36 to Warminster.

Take the A350 to Blandford.

Pick up the A354 onto Weymouth.

I know that at the moment, Avon & Somerset Police are having a heavy crackdown on drivers during the holiday season. You need to be especially careful. Loads of unmarked cop cars floating about - so if you decide to go M5, A303, A3088 & A37, you need to be very wary.

That's the way I'd go. Only head on to Bathampton and use the toll bridge, 50p, cuts out the center of bath.

M6 - M5 onto the M4, off at juction 18 onto the A46.

Off the A46 at the A4/London Rd roundabout taking your first left onto London Rd West. Look on Google maps for the toll bridge as Toll Bridge Rd can be difficult to spot. Across the toll bridge - through Bathampton and onto the A36.

Follow the A36 to Warminster.

Take the A350 to Blandford.

Pick up the A354 onto Weymouth.

V.good idea, someone else told me about that shortcut but when I tried it discovered you can't take an HGV over and had forgotten about it since.

That route will of course miss passing the creepiest funeral directors ever on the London Road.

I know that at the moment, Avon & Somerset Police are having a heavy crackdown on drivers during the holiday season. You need to be especially careful. Loads of unmarked cop cars floating about - so if you decide to go M5, A303, A3088 & A37, you need to be very wary.

End of the month too, they've got to get their quotas! :angry:

Juvenal....do you work for the Dorset Tourist Board???? You forgot to mention the best restauarant in Weymouth.....Which we sell on Wednesday.............But the chef is staying... :P . Its called.....XXXXXXXX. Tell you after wednesday!

I'm a great believer in promoting Dorset's beaches

beach_girls_20080321.jpg

post-12677-1251571646_thumb.jpg

I'm a great believer in promoting Dorset's beaches

beach_girls_20080321.jpg

It doesn't tend to be people who look like that who go to Studland though.

Juvenal,

I've asked you before not to post that pic of my wife on Weymouth beach!

Sorry! I thought she'd be OK with it.

I was going to publicise Studland beach by Sandbanks, but for some reason all the pictures were of men, or council officials and police with binoculars up in the dunes. I don't know if anyone can explain this...

Sorry! I thought she'd be OK with it.

I was going to publicise Studland beach by Sandbanks, but for some reason all the pictures were of men, or council officials and police with binoculars up in the dunes. I don't know if anyone can explain this...

Were any of them playing a sport that wasn't volleyball?