House Price Crash Forum
3bedsemi

Dream Home In Redhill Slightly Undervalued But Now Discovered To Be Near A Site Noted In Surrey's Waste Plan As Potential For Recycling Plant. Help!

We have found our "dream" 3 bedroom semi-detached house on Nutfield Road in Redhill. We have overcome the proximity to the landfill (the area nearest us (about 550 m away) is already filled and returned to greenfield and the filling is moving progressively further from us (the life of the landfill is a further 20 years)). We are assured by the Environment Agency that there have been no complaints in the last year from residents in our vicinity.

The surveyor has valued the house slightly under our offer (280 vs 285), but having dug around a bit (we are not locals) we have discovered that the council would apparently like to put a recycling plant or similar in Copyhold (a disused industrial site), about 200m up the road.

There is no planning application for such a site but it looks from the documents as if they would approve such an application assuming it complied with their traffic management policies, green belt policy etc.

http://www.surreycc.gov.uk/sccwebsite/sccwspublications.nsf/docidLookupFileResourcesByUNID/docidF08F90AA9EB12F2A80257589003F0987?openDocument

http://www.surreycc.gov.uk/sccwebsite/sccwspublications.nsf/docidLookupFileResourcesByUNID/docid65E1FDAFE348FEA980257589003D6261?openDocument

How bad do you think a recycling plant or similar is? Would it make it very hard to sell the property? Would it affect the value?

We are/were planning (hopefully) on being there for 10 years, extending and so forth, so should we even let it be a consideration (maybe anything could come along and spoil any area in that time)? Should we be using it along with the downvalue to get the price reduced? By how much?

What would you do?

Thanks!

We have found our "dream" 3 bedroom semi-detached house on Nutfield Road in Redhill. We have overcome the proximity to the landfill (the area nearest us (about 550 m away) is already filled and returned to greenfield and the filling is moving progressively further from us (the life of the landfill is a further 20 years)). We are assured by the Environment Agency that there have been no complaints in the last year from residents in our vicinity.

The surveyor has valued the house slightly under our offer (280 vs 285), but having dug around a bit (we are not locals) we have discovered that the council would apparently like to put a recycling plant or similar in Copyhold (a disused industrial site), about 200m up the road.

There is no planning application for such a site but it looks from the documents as if they would approve such an application assuming it complied with their traffic management policies, green belt policy etc.

http://www.surreycc.gov.uk/sccwebsite/sccwspublications.nsf/docidLookupFileResourcesByUNID/docidF08F90AA9EB12F2A80257589003F0987?openDocument

http://www.surreycc.gov.uk/sccwebsite/sccwspublications.nsf/docidLookupFileResourcesByUNID/docid65E1FDAFE348FEA980257589003D6261?openDocument

How bad do you think a recycling plant or similar is? Would it make it very hard to sell the property? Would it affect the value?

We are/were planning (hopefully) on being there for 10 years, extending and so forth, so should we even let it be a consideration (maybe anything could come along and spoil any area in that time)? Should we be using it along with the downvalue to get the price reduced? By how much?

What would you do?

Thanks!

Would you want to live next door to a recycling plant.

If you don't want to take the chance then don't buy it.

Thanks for your response narrowescape. I can see that it is intended as a rhetorical question. However, my situation is not entirely straightforward. My budget is limited, and therefore to get the space, parking, garden and potential to extend that I want, all within a reasonable commuting distance, there has to be some compromise.

I suppose I don't know how bad a recycling facility would be. It's not exactly "next door" (it's about 350m away), but in terms of compromises do you think backing on to say a railway line is less bad?

I expect the real answer to this is that I can't afford what I want!

Thanks

Hi 3bedsemi, I live in Merstham but am looking for a house in Redhill. I'm fairly sure that the Copyhold site has failed to get planning permission in the past but that doesn't mean it never will. I have found this from the local paper which tells you a bit more

http://www.thisissurreytoday.co.uk/news/In...il/article.html

Not wishing to complicate things any further and you may already know this but the same paper last week reported on plans for a new "village" in Nutfield Road on the site of the old quarry which is close to your intended house

http://www.thisissurreytoday.co.uk/news/Vi...il/article.html

Of course, this too may not come to anything but it's something else to take in to account. If I can help with any further info, let me know.

Hi 3bedsemi,

I was perhaps a bit terse in my response but as you can see from my profile I`m a bear. I feel that all the recent "good" news is temporary and driven primarily by massive stimulus which will have to stop and be paid for at some point. My view is that he underlying economy is still in a terrible state and along with some others on here, my expectation that the house prices will fall further and that the economic situation in the UK for many will deteriorate significantly in the short-mid-term. I think this process will be well underway by the end of next year at the very latest, and possibly a lot sooner. With this in mind, I would not encourage anyone, especially someone with limited financial resources, to enter into what could turn out to be a crippling long-term financial commitment right now.

Have you looked into renting at all? It`s really not so bad if you get a good landlord (they do exist - I have one!) and if your local environment deteriorates, either due to "undesiarables" moving in nearby, or because of major building projects such as the ones described by yourself and Accidental STR, you are not tied town in the same way as you are if you are need to sell but nobody wants to buy at the price you need because of such changes. I can't comment on any problems with living near a recycling site or with a railway line at the bottom of the garden as I've not been in either situation so you'll have to rely on others for information in this area.

Perhaps you could read around the rest of the site (and elsewhere) to try and get a feel for what is really going on right now before jumping in.

Oh and don't forget, I'm a bear so I'm biased :)

Whatever you decide to do, good luck!

NE

I've not been able to open the documents in your original posting but the plans for the site weren't just for recycling, it was for waste incineration. Frankly I wouldn't live anywhere near such a plant. Surrey CC has been looking at this type of waste disposal for a number of years at various sites but so far as failed to get one opened.

With the cost of landfill increasing with central govt taxes it's only a matter time before they get their way. You should check out Friends of the Earth website and similar, waste incineration is supposed to be safe as they are meant to filter all the crap chemicals out but they don't. Lots of cancer causing stuff gets released. If you lived right underneath the chimneys you might not get much fallout as I suspect it would fall further away but I wouldn't take the risk. Agree with other posters, wait 12-18 months time you will be able to buy something better, just rent for now.

I have just sold my house which is nearish to a recycling plant/waste incinerator.

Over the past couple of years of living here there have been odd days of terrible smells and this summer the whole area has been plagued with flies.

It has also held up many of the house sales in the area and even frightened off a few buyers so this could cause complications for you in the future if you want to move on.

I would totally avoid based on my experience.

I was local for 46 years, that location has always had undesirable uses put forward in recent years including a tar macadam manufacturing site. I would give it a miss.