House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
loginandtonic

My Electric Supplier Has A Credit Balance From Me Of £55

I use little electricity yet they helped themselves to £25 last month and £60 this month, actual consumption when reading the meter was £19 or just over.

they want to take £20 DD next month and so on

Why, when they have over fifty quid in credit that they helped themselves to, why keep taking DD money each month?

please someone make them stop!

should i cancel the dd at the bank, claim under the dd scheme, or what?

if i cancel supply i get hit with a thirty quid cancellation charge apparently, but i might do so anyway

sorry - please move to OFF TOPIC, i forgot where i was !

Edited by loginandtonic

Mine has a balance of £400 and they still want to take £75 a month.

Mind you they pay 3% on credit balances so I don't care too much.

I use little electricity yet they helped themselves to £25 last month and £60 this month, actual consumption when reading the meter was £19 or just over.

Why, when they have over fifty quid in credit that they helped themselves to, why keep taking DD money each month?

if i cancel supply i get hit with a thirty quid cancellation charge apparently, but i might do so anyway

Why don't you move to a set amount each month by DD regardless of usage? If you overpay, reduce the monthly amount until it comes into parity. Who are you with? Have you spoken to customer services?

Edited by shylock

They will partly be basing it on hisorical usage to build up a suplas over summer as you use a lot more in winter.

The numbers shouldn't be so random though... should be a fixed amount... that's the point.

Ask to change to post-payment instead.

dont think mine pay a penny in interest, t*ssers :lol:

Why don't you move to a set amount each month by DD regardless of usage? If you overpay, reduce the monthly amount until it comes into parity. Who are you with? Have you spoken to customer services?

they set the amounts, und zay ask zee kvestions! ja! schweinhund!

dont think mine pay a penny in interest, t*ssers :lol:

they set the amounts, und zay ask zee kvestions! ja! schweinhund!

They sound shite. Could you please name? I want to avoid in the future.

They will partly be basing it on hisorical usage to build up a suplas over summer as you use a lot more in winter.

The numbers shouldn't be so random though... should be a fixed amount... that's the point.

Ask to change to post-payment instead.

they wont allow me to go post-pay unless i terminate the contract and pay the penalty of 30 quid, as far as i know. they wont tell me why they more than doubled the dd for one month, now it seems they can help themselves to whatever they like and when winter comes my elec bill will hardly rise by much except to pump the water for the gas central heating, so that surplus will keep building

They sound shite. Could you please name? I want to avoid in the future.

i'll pm you the name once they have told me in writing they absolutely still refuse to budge and can be sure they're as shite as so far they seem to be

Think yourself lucky they hold it as cash and not energy units.... would be another great scam for them if they overbought your energy when the price is high even if you don't actually consume it till next year when prices will have come down (or not) ...

Think yourself lucky they hold it as cash and not energy units....

Is it though? The speculators and hyperinflationists amongst might see advance buying of energy units as an ideal way to get out of cash.

I'm constantly searching for vouchers, tokens etc denominated in something other than £ to preserve the value of savings. Paying for 5 years leccy units in advance is a tempting punt but I doubt it's possible.

Phone them up and ask them to explain why they are charging you so much. Chances are they will drop the amount

they take from you. There were some changes to the law regarding DDs from utilities companies recently.

Is it though? The speculators and hyperinflationists amongst might see advance buying of energy units as an ideal way to get out of cash.

I'm constantly searching for vouchers, tokens etc denominated in something other than £ to preserve the value of savings. Paying for 5 years leccy units in advance is a tempting punt but I doubt it's possible.

I believe Scottish Power offer pre-purchase of gas and electricity.

I would look at exactly how much of a discount you get from paying monthly. Chances are it's only 2 or 3% on top of the normal Direct Debit discount - an amount which is probably cancelled out by all the lost interest from over-charging.

I pay mine quarterly in arrears by DD. I can then send in correct meter readings if they email me a bill with significantly incorrect guestimated readings ensuring any bill is either correct or in my favour. Still get the 5% DD discount but no risk of slipping ahead or behind.

OOOh that's handy, who are you with? I feel the need for a big DD.

EDIT: removed an erroneous space.

Edited by Driver

Guest absolutezero
they wont allow me to go post-pay unless i terminate the contract and pay the penalty of 30 quid, as far as i know. they wont tell me why they more than doubled the dd for one month, now it seems they can help themselves to whatever they like and when winter comes my elec bill will hardly rise by much except to pump the water for the gas central heating, so that surplus will keep building

As a very wise old man said to me: "Pay all your bills in cash and wait for the red one. I don't like Direct Debits because they're theives and can take however much they like when they like."

Very old. Very wise too.

I pay mine quarterly in arrears by DD. I can then send in correct meter readings if they email me a bill with significantly incorrect guestimated readings ensuring any bill is either correct or in my favour. Still get the 5% DD discount but no risk of slipping ahead or behind.

Which company enables that?

It's called spreading the payments it's quite normal, in fact energy suppliers used to shout from the rooftops that they did this, it's so you (and i suppose them) don't get caught out with a massive winter fuel bill.

It might annoy you a bit as you can probably control your finances (the fact you post here is a clue you can) but i bet it's actually helped a lot of dolts out there budget.

It's called spreading the payments it's quite normal, in fact energy suppliers used to shout from the rooftops that they did this, it's so you (and i suppose them) don't get caught out with a massive winter fuel bill.

It might annoy you a bit as you can probably control your finances (the fact you post here is a clue you can) but i bet it's actually helped a lot of dolts out there budget.

Lights constantly on and aircon means there's not that much between summer and winter, doesn't stop the electric company frequently helping itself to a couple of £100k more than it needs. They don't even have the excuse of estimated readings either as most meters can be read over the GSM network.