House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gruffydd

Inexpensive New 4wd - Recommendations Please

Hi there,

I'm looking for an inexpensive, new 4WD. Any recommendations anybody?

Cheers, Gruffydd and Sioned

Fiat Panda. Cheap, economical to run and great in the snow.

OK I know I know, but perhaps you need to give more details.

Edit : beaten to it.

Hi there,

They're all cheap as chips now, as long as you purchase via lease/finance because that's where the REAL deals are and that's where you get a guaranteed buy back. It does mean debt though, but I think of it as renting a vehicle.

Mitsubishi Evo what ever number you can afford.

Subaru Imprezza, again what ever you can afford.

if you want older there is the Ford Seria Series B cosworth

more detials needed,

why do you want a 4x4? is it for a towing stuff, then what is the weight of what your towing?

is it for off roading, then will you sacrifice some creature comforts on the road?

or is it for none of the above and just for the school run? then why do you "need" a 4x4, you can get far better cars faster, safer more practicle, etc than a 4x4.

Despite living in the back of beyond for nearly 20 years, we have not had a 4x4. It is only about two days a year that they would be useful. Stay in bed.

Despite living in the back of beyond for nearly 20 years, we have not had a 4x4. It is only about two days a year that they would be useful. Stay in bed.

Spot on. There's always a consumption overhead, even if it's only the extra weight.

The number of people who actually need 4WD in the UK must be tiny.

For driving stupidly fast in the wet, a bug-eyed scooby(the ugliest one and therefore cheaper) is your best bet.

I had one, they're fantastic for the 3 times a year you get to drive it quickly. The rest of the time it's noisy, drinks fuel/insurance/tyres, and you look at the back of the car in front just as you would from any other car.

Hi there,

What about the Russian Lada 4x4 diesel suv crossover

Gruffyd you haven't said what your requirements are (as in why you want a 4wd).

Is it bling?

Be honest, we're all friends here even if you are likely to get ribbed to shit if it's a vanity/perceived (but quite untrue) safety thing.

Google SUV rollovers and consider it. Think of the children, both your own and the ones who would be killed by a pointless behemoth.

Alternatively, gimme a load of abuse if you are one of the people who have a genuine reason for wanting to use a farm vehicle on the roads.

TFH

Is it bling?

Be honest, we're all friends here even if you are likely to get ribbed to shit if it's a vanity/perceived (but quite untrue) safety thing.

Google SUV rollovers and consider it. Think of the children, both your own and the ones who would be killed by a pointless behemoth.

Alternatively, gimme a load of abuse if you are one of the people who have a genuine reason for wanting to use a farm vehicle on the roads.

TFH

I use it for moving livestock around on the family farm and from the family farm. Doesn't need to be too tough though as I use other vehicles for towing on the rougher ground.

I have tried a Fiat Panda, but hated the interior. Test drove it and decided it wasn't for me.

Thanks for the advice everyone - much appreciated. Mmmm a Lada. There's a thought!

Don't want a Land Rover as not good for long distance driving, in my experience.

The VAG stuff is quite good for light duties, particularly snow. One thing to look at might be the Skoda Octavia 4WD. The diesel is a reasonable economic day-to-day motor with the 1.9 or later 2.0 VW engine. At the same time it has a slightly increased ground clearance and the same drive as the new 4WD golf and other VAG stuff.

I used to run a Subaru Legacy for added traction (fishing) but TBH the fuel wasn't much better than one of the hideous SUV type things. Looked at the new diesel Subaru but at 28 grand its way too much for me.

I would have thought there were plenty of alternatives but none that are "brand new". You loose far too much in depreciation.

Sold the boat a while back and now on 2wd again (Vectra - 50mpg)

If you want your 4x4 for serious off-roading, the best choice has to be the Land Rover Defender, despite being essentially a 25 year-old design, itself developed from a 41 year-old design, which in turn was based on the original Land Rover introduced 61 years ago. Excellent for towing too. The big secret of the Land Rover is simple - the long vertical suspension travel, meaning that it can keep all 4 wheels in full contact with the ground where other 4x4s would be losing grip on the diagonally opposed pair of wheels. When a conventional 4x4 without traction control loses grip on any 2 wheels, it becomes stuck.

If you want your 4x4 for serious off-roading, the best choice has to be the Land Rover Defender, despite being essentially a 25 year-old design, itself developed from a 41 year-old design, which in turn was based on the original Land Rover introduced 61 years ago. Excellent for towing too. The big secret of the Land Rover is simple - the long vertical suspension travel, meaning that it can keep all 4 wheels in contact with the ground where other 4x4s would be lifting one wheel up in the air.

I must concur.

If you want a 4x4 then get a landy.

If you want an SUV then get one of those obscene new Maserati jobs, or better yet, wait till AM or Lambo bring out something even sillier.

Since I sort of hijacked the topic to talk about off-roading, can I suggest that if you do get a Land Rover for serious off-roading, get a good secondhand one, not a new one, then you won't mind so much about the odd broken bit.

On road, Land Rovers are best described as 'characterful' - I like the high driving position, but they're not very comfortable, quiet or economical, to be honest.

If you're looking for ultimate 4x4 offroad damage then find yourself an old UAZ. or buy a new build from http://www.uaz.ru/eng/models/nm/315195/

if you're looking for something more "sophisticated" then the new skoda yeti is the one for you.http://www.skoda.co.uk/ourcars/yeti/facts__figures.aspx (will be available in a couple of weeks...).

The new Skoda Yeti looks a viable option, very capable off and on road and a good price. Plus you'd be one of the first to get one ;)

Is it bling?

TFH

I have a genuine reason, how else am I going to be able to look down at the little people whilst I'm out driving?

Guest Parry aka GOD

Rather than lease and destroy new ones, like we used to, we now buy old Discovery's (around 1994-1998) for site work now.

1995 one with recon engine in good condition was bought for £1500 at auction.

Rather than lease and destroy new ones, like we used to, we now buy old Discovery's (around 1994-1998) for site work now.

1995 one with recon engine in good condition was bought for £1500 at auction.

As you're back Mr Parry do expand. I always liked the look of them but thought they were mechanical basket cases. So they're not?

The Jeep is around £26k new, has the best 4wd system in the business, quadra drive 2,

the v6 merc deisel/auto box runs as smooth as silk and fairly economical with around 220 bhp. I have a crd version now and it can out manoeuvre the discos/defenders off road with a set of mud terrain tyres on easy.